z800 hp workstation OpenBSD 5.7 install attempt, hitting a wall

z800 hp workstation OpenBSD 5.7 install attempt, hitting a wall

securityvsconvenience
Hi,

I purchased a hewlett packard z800 workstation running windows 7 with the
intention of running linux ubuntu as a sever but I've found OpenBSD to
sound and contain more robust features (versus linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD)
when dealing with security.

I have Michael W. Lucas's book, "Absolute OpenBSD" to help with OpenBSD
install but I've hit a wall on the install process. I can to tear open both
computer boxes and look for product numbers to identify the specific
physical hardware to pinpoint the exact bottleneck.

Things I have tried multiple times:

*1.*The method being used to install OpenBSD 5.7 are two physical compact
discs (one is the cd57.iso image and the other is the install57.iso image).
Both were used.

*2.* Both cds generate the same messages during the install process (on the
z800 workstation) which
is that the number of hard drives found is zero when there are two hard
drives (not solid state drives) in 2 of the four bays. One is a seagate HD
500G SATA3 6GSQ, it also says "Firmware: HP73" on the drive. The other is a
Hitachi with a capacity of 2TB with the labels "LBA: 3,907,029,168
sectors", "RPM: 7200RPM", and SATA 6.0 Gb/s.

*3.* I wish I could send/print a "dmesg" but during the install process but
the terminal writes that the "bge0" ethernet is sleeping so I'm not able to
get to the mail feature in openbsd once the installation actually completes
(like when installing on a dell 1950 gen II server). I think this means
that it cannot find the ethernet connection even when the computer has a
physical ethernet cable plug from it to the wall.

*4.* I then proceeded to try to install OpenBSD onto a dell 1950 generation
2 server and I get past the "detecting" hard drives which it does indeed
detect 1 hard drive even though there are actually two hard drives in it (I
think then this maybe a formatting problem like it requires a fat32
reformatting of the hard drive or something like that). However, it still
canonot detect the ethernet connection called "bge0". Howeer, I do actually
get a OpenBSD installation complete message though on the dell 1950 server
and can read the two emails that come with the install cd.

Is OpenBSD simply not compatible with this specific hardware (z800
workstation) or am I not doing something very basic?

Re: z800 hp workstation OpenBSD 5.7 install attempt, hitting a wall

Jonathan Gray-11
On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 08:44:47PM -0700, Danny Nguyen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I purchased a hewlett packard z800 workstation running windows 7 with the
> intention of running linux ubuntu as a sever but I've found OpenBSD to
> sound and contain more robust features (versus linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD)
> when dealing with security.
>
> I have Michael W. Lucas's book, "Absolute OpenBSD" to help with OpenBSD
> install but I've hit a wall on the install process. I can to tear open both
> computer boxes and look for product numbers to identify the specific
> physical hardware to pinpoint the exact bottleneck.
>
> Things I have tried multiple times:
>
> *1.*The method being used to install OpenBSD 5.7 are two physical compact
> discs (one is the cd57.iso image and the other is the install57.iso image).
> Both were used.
>
> *2.* Both cds generate the same messages during the install process (on the
> z800 workstation) which
> is that the number of hard drives found is zero when there are two hard
> drives (not solid state drives) in 2 of the four bays. One is a seagate HD
> 500G SATA3 6GSQ, it also says "Firmware: HP73" on the drive. The other is a
> Hitachi with a capacity of 2TB with the labels "LBA: 3,907,029,168
> sectors", "RPM: 7200RPM", and SATA 6.0 Gb/s.

If the disks are plugged into SATA ports you may need to change
the mode in the bios from RAID to AHCI.  If they're plugged into SAS
ports it's possible you have the unsupported Intel SAS controller in
which case move them to SATA ports.

z800 hp workstation OpenBSD 5.7 install attempt, hitting a wall

securityvsconvenience
I took some pictures of the hardware to assist in seeing what is going
on more clearly.

Based on the writing on the hardware, the connections from the hard drive
connectors (from input to motherboard) are SATA.

The pictures with the hard drives are to show all the different connectors.
The screw driver was used as a point of reference.

I inserted the following hard drives when booting into the bios: seagate
500g and hitachi 2tb. I then proceeded to chose the optical drive to boot
into the openbsd installation process using the install57.iso image. Same
error which did not detect the hard drives and no link on the ethernet as
mentioned before.

I attempted to change the raid to ahci like suggested and something weird
that said "emulated" showed up in the storage options. The last two images
show what I mean.

--
danny nguyen
linkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/danny-n/7/b63/379>

--
danny nguyen
linkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/danny-n/7/b63/379>

IMG_0073.JPG (1M) Download Attachment
IMG_0074.JPG (1M) Download Attachment
IMG_0075.JPG (1001K) Download Attachment
IMG_0076.JPG (1M) Download Attachment
IMG_0080.JPG (1M) Download Attachment
IMG_0081.JPG (1M) Download Attachment
IMG_0082.JPG (973K) Download Attachment
IMG_0084.JPG (1M) Download Attachment
IMG_0085.JPG (1M) Download Attachment

Re: z800 hp workstation OpenBSD 5.7 install attempt, hitting a wall

Jonathan Gray-11
It is worth trying a snapshot instead of 5.7.  You should be able to
mount a usb disk from an installer shell which would let you save the
output of dmesg or just do an install to a usb disk.

I would guess the "IDE SATA Emulation" would mean pciide(4).

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 12:53:14AM -0700, Danny Nguyen wrote:

> I took some pictures of the hardware to assist in seeing what is going
> on more clearly.
>
> Based on the writing on the hardware, the connections from the hard drive
> connectors (from input to motherboard) are SATA.
>
> The pictures with the hard drives are to show all the different connectors.
> The screw driver was used as a point of reference.
>
> I inserted the following hard drives when booting into the bios: seagate
> 500g and hitachi 2tb. I then proceeded to chose the optical drive to boot
> into the openbsd installation process using the install57.iso image. Same
> error which did not detect the hard drives and no link on the ethernet as
> mentioned before.
>
> I attempted to change the raid to ahci like suggested and something weird
> that said "emulated" showed up in the storage options. The last two images
> show what I mean.

Re: z800 hp workstation OpenBSD 5.7 install attempt, hitting a wall

securityvsconvenience
I wanted to reply the the most recent message but it hasn't arrived in my
inbox yet but I wanted to provide a prompt update (after seeing the latest
reply on lists.openbsd.org).

I changed the SATA emulation mode to "IDE" from "RAID+AHCI" in the hp bios
and that did the trick (using the install57.iso). I'm going to climb back
into my cage and try to get the networking piece to work (with the
intention of sending a dmesg to the admins) and will reach out when I hit
another wall.