[yossman.net] openBSD: /etc/mygate not ignoring comments ??

[yossman.net] openBSD: /etc/mygate not ignoring comments ??

yossman.net admin team
good day, i've just spent 30 minutes figuring out why an OpenBSD server
joining my network wasn't co-operating and applying default gateway.  it
has to do with it NOT ignoring comment lines found in file /etc/mygate ..
why does your manual page AND FAQ say that 'lines with # will be ignored'
when they are not actually ignored and causes default gateway not to be
applied?

i'm disappointed this bug is even in OpenBSD at all, frankly, that's a
pretty basic thing to mess up.

thanks for your time, ttys.

yossman

--
Yossarian Holmberg
Director, yossman.net, inc.
+1-519-741-7719

Re: [yossman.net] openBSD: /etc/mygate not ignoring comments ??

Adam-29
"yossman.net admin team" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> good day, i've just spent 30 minutes figuring out why an OpenBSD server
> joining my network wasn't co-operating and applying default gateway.  it
> has to do with it NOT ignoring comment lines found in file /etc/mygate ..
> why does your manual page AND FAQ say that 'lines with # will be ignored'
> when they are not actually ignored and causes default gateway not to be
> applied?

$ cat /etc/mygate
# comment
172.30.75.1
# comment

#look at all the blank

#lines and comments
# in this

#   file
$ route -n show | grep default
$ sudo sh /etc/netstart
$ route -n show | grep default
default            172.30.75.1        UGS         0        0      -   fxp0

Seems to work fine.

> i'm disappointed this bug is even in OpenBSD at all, frankly, that's a
> pretty basic thing to mess up.

Pretty basic things get messed up all the time.  Like not including the
version of software you are complaining about for instance.

Adam

Re: [yossman.net] openBSD: /etc/mygate not ignoring comments ??

yossman.net admin team
thanks for the reply, i determined later that the server i was working on
was OpenBSD v3.6, one level before 'comments in /etc/mygate' was
acceptable.  checking the manpage on that server later did indeed say
mygate and myname files didn't accept comments.

i apologize for not including the version information in the first place;
i'm thinking this is more of a 'feature that wasn't implemented yet' as
opposed to a 'bug', from OpenBSD's perspective.

as i mentioned to other people who wrote me back about this email, a
footnote in the FAQ stating something like 'these files didn't accept
comments before version 3.7' would have been really helpful during the
troubleshooting phase. ;-)

thanks for your time, ttys.

yossman

--
Yossarian Holmberg
Director, yossman.net, inc.

> "yossman.net admin team" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> good day, i've just spent 30 minutes figuring out why an OpenBSD server
>> joining my network wasn't co-operating and applying default gateway.  it
>> has to do with it NOT ignoring comment lines found in file /etc/mygate
>> ..
>> why does your manual page AND FAQ say that 'lines with # will be
>> ignored'
>> when they are not actually ignored and causes default gateway not to be
>> applied?
>
> $ cat /etc/mygate
> # comment
> 172.30.75.1
> # comment
>
> #look at all the blank
>
> #lines and comments
> # in this
>
> #   file
> $ route -n show | grep default
> $ sudo sh /etc/netstart
> $ route -n show | grep default
> default            172.30.75.1        UGS         0        0      -   fxp0
>
> Seems to work fine.
>
>> i'm disappointed this bug is even in OpenBSD at all, frankly, that's a
>> pretty basic thing to mess up.
>
> Pretty basic things get messed up all the time.  Like not including the
> version of software you are complaining about for instance.
>
> Adam

Re: [yossman.net] openBSD: /etc/mygate not ignoring comments ??

Ted Unangst-2
On 6/12/06, yossman.net admin team <[hidden email]> wrote:
> as i mentioned to other people who wrote me back about this email, a
> footnote in the FAQ stating something like 'these files didn't accept
> comments before version 3.7' would have been really helpful during the
> troubleshooting phase. ;-)

you mean like how it says "The FAQ covers the active release of
OpenBSD, currently v3.9." right up front?