xman reports several errors after initial search

xman reports several errors after initial search

Alfred Morgan
>Synopsis:      xman reports several errors after initial search
>Category:      user
>Environment:
        System      : OpenBSD 6.5
        Details     : OpenBSD 6.5 (GENERIC.MP) #3: Sat Apr 13 14:48:43 MDT
2019
                         [hidden email]:
/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

        Architecture: OpenBSD.amd64
        Machine     : amd64
        When doing a keyboard search on the initial window that xman shows
I get 8 errors showing:
"Xman Warning: Something went wrong in retrieving the uncompressed manual
page try cleaning up /tmp."
>How-To-Repeat:
        While in X open xman and focus and hover over "Manual Browser" and
press CTRL+S a search prompt will open.
        Type "test" and hit Enter key
        You will see the test man page come up and also several error pop
ups.
>Fix:
        Using CTRL+S on an already opened xman page works without errors.
        Also searching clicking the UI buttons work fine.

Re: xman reports several errors after initial search

Ingo Schwarze
Hi,

i never looked at xman(1) nor did i ever use it.

But oh gawd...

That whole thing is totally broken.
Nothing about it works at all.

For example, try to view the strlcat(3) manual page:
start xman(1), hit Ctrl-S, type "strlcat", click "Manual Page".
The response is "No manual entry for strlcat".

It attempts to reimplement man(1) in a very poor way.
It uses the old man.conf(5) format that we stopped supporting
years ago.  I'm sure that list of issues is far from complete.

Fixing it seems like a major undertaking - and a complete waste of time.
I'm mean, what's the point?  Just run man(1) in an xterm(1).  That
actually works and has so much more useful features.

Consequently, i strongly suggest that we simply delete the whole
program from OpenBSD without any replacement.  That is what we usually
do with software that is broken, obviously unmaintained, and useless.

Any objections?

Yours,
  Ingo

Re: xman reports several errors after initial search

Kenneth R Westerback-2

> On Aug 14, 2019, at 7:26 PM, Ingo Schwarze <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> i never looked at xman(1) nor did i ever use it.
>
> But oh gawd...
>
> That whole thing is totally broken.
> Nothing about it works at all.
>
> For example, try to view the strlcat(3) manual page:
> start xman(1), hit Ctrl-S, type "strlcat", click "Manual Page".
> The response is "No manual entry for strlcat".
>
> It attempts to reimplement man(1) in a very poor way.
> It uses the old man.conf(5) format that we stopped supporting
> years ago.  I'm sure that list of issues is far from complete.
>
> Fixing it seems like a major undertaking - and a complete waste of time.
> I'm mean, what's the point?  Just run man(1) in an xterm(1).  That
> actually works and has so much more useful features.
>
> Consequently, i strongly suggest that we simply delete the whole
> program from OpenBSD without any replacement.  That is what we usually
> do with software that is broken, obviously unmaintained, and useless.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Yours,
>  Ingo

Dumpster fires can be handled with orbital strikes. No objection from me, but I haven't tried xman in decades.

.... Ken

Re: xman reports several errors after initial search

Theo de Raadt-2
Ingo Schwarze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i never looked at xman(1) nor did i ever use it.
>
> But oh gawd...
>
> That whole thing is totally broken.
> Nothing about it works at all.
>
> For example, try to view the strlcat(3) manual page:
> start xman(1), hit Ctrl-S, type "strlcat", click "Manual Page".
> The response is "No manual entry for strlcat".
>
> It attempts to reimplement man(1) in a very poor way.
> It uses the old man.conf(5) format that we stopped supporting
> years ago.  I'm sure that list of issues is far from complete.
>
> Fixing it seems like a major undertaking - and a complete waste of time.
> I'm mean, what's the point?  Just run man(1) in an xterm(1).  That
> actually works and has so much more useful features.
>
> Consequently, i strongly suggest that we simply delete the whole
> program from OpenBSD without any replacement.  That is what we usually
> do with software that is broken, obviously unmaintained, and useless.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Yours,
>   Ingo

I think it can die.

Re: xman reports several errors after initial search

Matthieu Herrb-3
On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 01:26:23AM +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i never looked at xman(1) nor did i ever use it.
>
> But oh gawd...
>
> That whole thing is totally broken.
> Nothing about it works at all.
>
> For example, try to view the strlcat(3) manual page:
> start xman(1), hit Ctrl-S, type "strlcat", click "Manual Page".
> The response is "No manual entry for strlcat".
>
> It attempts to reimplement man(1) in a very poor way.
> It uses the old man.conf(5) format that we stopped supporting
> years ago.  I'm sure that list of issues is far from complete.
>
> Fixing it seems like a major undertaking - and a complete waste of time.
> I'm mean, what's the point?  Just run man(1) in an xterm(1).  That
> actually works and has so much more useful features.
>
> Consequently, i strongly suggest that we simply delete the whole
> program from OpenBSD without any replacement.  That is what we usually
> do with software that is broken, obviously unmaintained, and useless.
>
> Any objections?

None from me.
Not worth the effort to add mandoc.db support. Nowadays we can build
an electron app around man.openbsd.org if we need a replacement :)

--
Matthieu Herrb