xlock permission problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

xlock permission problem

Jyri Hovila [iki]
Hello, world!

I'm having an issue with xlock being unable to unlock a locked session.

I'm running a CURRENT version of OpenBSD on amd64 architecture.

I can lock my X session with xlock just fine, but when I enter my
password the unlock, xlock says the password is invalid. However, the
password I've entered (several times) is 100% correct.

Authlog provides the following hints:

======================================================================
xlock[82700]: Start: myusername, myusername, :0
xlock[82700]: staff: getting class information: Permission denied
xlock[82700]: daemon: getting classinformation: Permission denied
xlock[82700]: xlock: failed unlock attempt on user myusername
xlock[82700]: xlock: xio_error
xlock[82700]: Stop: myusername, myusername, :0, 6m 5s
======================================================================

I've googled thoroughly, checked the permissions of /etc/group etc, but
have not found either a solution nor any hints on how to further
diagnose the problem.

Any ideas, anyone?

- Jyri

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xlock permission problem

Vadim Zhukov
2016-07-17 21:31 GMT+03:00 Jyri Hovila [iki.fi] <[hidden email]>:

> Hello, world!
>
> I'm having an issue with xlock being unable to unlock a locked session.
>
> I'm running a CURRENT version of OpenBSD on amd64 architecture.
>
> I can lock my X session with xlock just fine, but when I enter my
> password the unlock, xlock says the password is invalid. However, the
> password I've entered (several times) is 100% correct.
>
> Authlog provides the following hints:
>
> ======================================================================
> xlock[82700]: Start: myusername, myusername, :0
> xlock[82700]: staff: getting class information: Permission denied
> xlock[82700]: daemon: getting classinformation: Permission denied
> xlock[82700]: xlock: failed unlock attempt on user myusername
> xlock[82700]: xlock: xio_error
> xlock[82700]: Stop: myusername, myusername, :0, 6m 5s
> ======================================================================
>
> I've googled thoroughly, checked the permissions of /etc/group etc, but
> have not found either a solution nor any hints on how to further
> diagnose the problem.
>
> Any ideas, anyone?

Check the following:

- you have root:auth mode rwxr-sr-x set for /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock;
- you do NOT have nosuid option set for /usr/X11R6.

--
  WBR,
  Vadim Zhukov

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xlock permission problem

Jyri Hovila [iki]
Hi, and thanks for your time!

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 21:52:53 +0300
Vadim Zhukov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Check the following:
>
> - you have root:auth mode rwxr-sr-x set for /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock;

# ls -la /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock
-rwxr-sr-x  1 root  auth  2970216 Jun  2 15:00 /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock

> - you do NOT have nosuid option set for /usr/X11R6.

# mount
/dev/sd1g on /usr/X11R6 type ffs (local, nodev)

Still a mystery. =o

- Jyri

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xlock permission problem

temp+101
In reply to this post by Jyri Hovila [iki]
Jyri Hovila [iki.fi] wrotes:

>
>Hello, world!
>
>I'm having an issue with xlock being unable to unlock a locked session.
>
>I'm running a CURRENT version of OpenBSD on amd64 architecture.
>
>I can lock my X session with xlock just fine, but when I enter my
>password the unlock, xlock says the password is invalid. However, the
>password I've entered (several times) is 100% correct.
>
It might be ugly, but are you sure that you are in rigth keyboard layout?

I have similar issue when using another layout (in my case ir) and lock
my system without changing back layout.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xlock permission problem

Vadim Zhukov
In reply to this post by Jyri Hovila [iki]
2016-07-17 22:20 GMT+03:00 Jyri Hovila [iki.fi] <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, and thanks for your time!
>
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 21:52:53 +0300
> Vadim Zhukov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Check the following:
>>
>> - you have root:auth mode rwxr-sr-x set for /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock;
>
> # ls -la /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock
> -rwxr-sr-x  1 root  auth  2970216 Jun  2 15:00 /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock

Jun, 2... is your base in sync? I mean, userland corresponds to kernel
and to xenocara?

>> - you do NOT have nosuid option set for /usr/X11R6.
>
> # mount
> /dev/sd1g on /usr/X11R6 type ffs (local, nodev)
>
> Still a mystery. =o

Then check what owner/group/rights do /etc/*passwd and /etc/login.conf
files, and /usr/libexec/auth directory have. They basically should be
(according to /etc/mtree/special):

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   2770 Jan 14  2016 /etc/login.conf
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  10350 Jul 12 17:25 /etc/master.passwd
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   8522 Jul 12 16:42 /etc/passwd
drwxr-x---  2 root  auth     512 Jul  3 17:49 /usr/libexec/auth/

Most likely you have /etc/login.conf non-world-readable... If this
won't help, you'll probably need to use ktrace to find out the
problematic syscall.

--
  WBR,
  Vadim Zhukov

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xlock permission problem

Jyri Hovila [iki]
Hi!

> Then check what owner/group/rights do /etc/*passwd and /etc/login.conf
> files, and /usr/libexec/auth directory have. They basically should be
> (according to /etc/mtree/special):
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   2770 Jan 14  2016 /etc/login.conf
> -rw-------  1 root  wheel  10350 Jul 12 17:25 /etc/master.passwd
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   8522 Jul 12 16:42 /etc/passwd
> drwxr-x---  2 root  auth     512 Jul  3 17:49 /usr/libexec/auth/
>
> Most likely you have /etc/login.conf non-world-readable... If this
> won't help, you'll probably need to use ktrace to find out the
> problematic syscall.

Exactly! It was /etc/login.conf that I had made rw-------

Thank you so much, Vadim! Problem fixed!

Yours,

Jyri