xdm spawns on ttyC1 on Zaurus if run from rc

xdm spawns on ttyC1 on Zaurus if run from rc

asmith-4
Hi,

I just discovered something really spooky and can't figure out what is
causing it, perhaps someone can point me at the cause here.

I have had several problems with the X server stability when running xdm on
the Zaurus and decided to investigate the X server config.

In revisions prior to 3.9 I found I had to comment out ttyC1 in the ttys
file to stop a getty spawn when running xdm configured from rc.conf. In 3.9
with Xorg 6.9 this doesn't seem to be needed any more, the getty doesn't
spawn over the frame buffer like it used to.

Now for the confusing bit...

Examine the default /etx/X11/xorg.conf shipped on the Zaurus distribution
and you find that the Wsdisplay0 device, using the wsfb driver should be
explicitly using....

        Option "device" "/dev/ttyC0"

This seems to suggest that any call to Xorg (unless overriding the config
file) should be using that wscons for its wsfb too and since the xdm config
files don't override the config file for the X server something strange is
occurring.

The situation as it now stands is...

Boot OpenBSD 3.9 beta with xdm_flags=NO set in /etc/rc.conf and start xdm
logged in from ttyC0 and xdm and spawned X sessions will use ttyC0.

With this config you can use Ctl-Alt-Fn2 to switch to ttyC1 and have a nice,
working text login too :)

Now switch xdm_flags to "" so that xdm is enabled in /etc/rc.conf and reboot
and you will find that xdm starts on ttyC1, however, the device control for
wsfb seems to disable ttyC0 (probably due to that parameter in xorg.conf) so
if you use Ctl-Alt-Fn1 to switch to ttyC0 you can't switch back because the
keyboard is disabled.

You can recreate the above issue incidentally if you startx from ttyC1, it
starts X on ttyC1, not on ttyC0 but puts ttyC0 keyboard to sleep because the
xorg.conf file is configuring wsfb to use ttyC0.

Of course knowing all this you may think you can work around the issue by
changing xorg.conf wfsb setting to point to ttyC1 if you have xdm enabled in
rc.local but that doesn't really answer the question... 'Why is xdm spawning
on ttyC1?'... and there's more...

When wfsb is set to ttyC1, even when running X from ttyC1 the keyboard on
ttyC0 STILL gets disabled (in 3.9) :(, it seems the only stable config is to
run X only from ttyC0 which doesn't disable the keyboard on ttyC1.

So anyone got any bright ideas why xdm spawns on ttyC1 when run from rc??

- Andy

Re: xdm spawns on ttyC1 on Zaurus if run from rc

asmith-4
Hmm, ok the workaround is to explicitly tell xdm to start the X server on
ttyC0 by editing /usr/X11/xdm/Xservers and changing...

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

to..

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt01

Causing xdm to pick the first VT rather than the first available

- Andy

Re: xdm spawns on ttyC1 on Zaurus if run from rc

asmith-4
Ahem, make that /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

Sorry :p

- Andy

Re: xdm spawns on ttyC1 on Zaurus if run from rc

asmith-4
Hmm,

Although this kinda fixes the xdm startup from rc there are a couple of
other quirks that I came across.

1. You must still disabled ttyC0 in ttys otherwise periodically you will
lose the keyboard handler when switching from ttyC1 to ttyC0... this I can
live with, doesn't seem like a major problem but maybe it isn't 'by design'
:P

2. Even with the X server explicitly told to start on vt01 (ttyC0) if you
switch to ttyC1 whilst logging out of an xdm session on ttyC0 the X server
that xdm spawns after terminating the session gets started on ttyC1 :( -
workaround at present is to wait until xdm has started up the X server again
(to handle xdm login) following a logout before going to ttyC1 with
Ctrl-Alt-F2. You can recover by killing the X server on ttyC1 if it does
spawn because there is an active getty on that tty, this causes xdm to
reselect ttyC0 and start X again for logins.

Any thoughts why this second issue may occur?

- Andy