x11/xawtv: decision need

Alexandre Ratchov-2
Hi all,

xawtv is the last user of libossaudio pcm ioctls (aka non-mixer ones)
which we're trying to remove.  But because of its internals, it can't
be converted to sndio; probably for the same reason it is not
converted to ALSA either. On the other hand:

- as analog tv is not widespead these days, it's mostly usable
  on a s-video or composite inputs which tend to be rare

- we've other programs to watch/record tv with bktr devices (ex
  mplayer, ffmpeg)

- the port wasn't updated since 2004

My question is: is xawtv still used at all? Is it used to record
audio? I don't mean possibly useful, I mean actually used nowadays.

If yes, I'll have to spend weeks on working with upstream on modifying
its internals to make it use sndio. I'd be OK with that.

If not, the code to record audio could be #ifdef'ed out, or the port
possibly removed if not used at all. This would save me a lot of time
which I could spend more useful audio stuff.

Opinions? Anyone with other plants for it?

-- Alexandre

Re: x11/xawtv: decision need

Robert Nagy
Just remove it.

On January 28, 2015 2:18:32 PM Alexandre Ratchov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> xawtv is the last user of libossaudio pcm ioctls (aka non-mixer ones)
> which we're trying to remove.  But because of its internals, it can't
> be converted to sndio; probably for the same reason it is not
> converted to ALSA either. On the other hand:
>
> - as analog tv is not widespead these days, it's mostly usable
>   on a s-video or composite inputs which tend to be rare
>
> - we've other programs to watch/record tv with bktr devices (ex
>   mplayer, ffmpeg)
>
> - the port wasn't updated since 2004
>
> My question is: is xawtv still used at all? Is it used to record
> audio? I don't mean possibly useful, I mean actually used nowadays.
>
> If yes, I'll have to spend weeks on working with upstream on modifying
> its internals to make it use sndio. I'd be OK with that.
>
> If not, the code to record audio could be #ifdef'ed out, or the port
> possibly removed if not used at all. This would save me a lot of time
> which I could spend more useful audio stuff.
>
> Opinions? Anyone with other plants for it?
>
> -- Alexandre

Re: x11/xawtv: decision need

David Coppa
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Alexandre Ratchov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> xawtv is the last user of libossaudio pcm ioctls (aka non-mixer ones)
> which we're trying to remove.  But because of its internals, it can't
> be converted to sndio; probably for the same reason it is not
> converted to ALSA either. On the other hand:
>
> - as analog tv is not widespead these days, it's mostly usable
>   on a s-video or composite inputs which tend to be rare
>
> - we've other programs to watch/record tv with bktr devices (ex
>   mplayer, ffmpeg)
>
> - the port wasn't updated since 2004
>
> My question is: is xawtv still used at all? Is it used to record
> audio? I don't mean possibly useful, I mean actually used nowadays.
>
> If yes, I'll have to spend weeks on working with upstream on modifying
> its internals to make it use sndio. I'd be OK with that.
>
> If not, the code to record audio could be #ifdef'ed out, or the port
> possibly removed if not used at all. This would save me a lot of time
> which I could spend more useful audio stuff.
>
> Opinions? Anyone with other plants for it?

I'd say: kill it.

Ciao,
David

Re: x11/xawtv: decision need

Christian Weisgerber
On 2015-01-28, Alexandre Ratchov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> xawtv is the last user of libossaudio pcm ioctls (aka non-mixer ones)
> which we're trying to remove.  But because of its internals, it can't
> be converted to sndio; [...]
> If yes, I'll have to spend weeks on working with upstream on modifying
> its internals to make it use sndio. I'd be OK with that.

IMHO you have already wasted far too much time converting the audio
internals of programs nobody cares about.

xawtv can't be salvaged.  Just remove the port.

Re: x11/xawtv: decision need

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 2015-01-28, Alexandre Ratchov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> xawtv is the last user of libossaudio pcm ioctls (aka non-mixer ones)
>> which we're trying to remove.  But because of its internals, it can't
>> be converted to sndio; [...]
>> If yes, I'll have to spend weeks on working with upstream on modifying
>> its internals to make it use sndio. I'd be OK with that.
>
> IMHO you have already wasted far too much time converting the audio
> internals of programs nobody cares about.
>
> xawtv can't be salvaged.  Just remove the port.

+1

jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

Re: x11/xawtv: decision need

Jonathan ARMANI-2
You fighted very hard.

Now it is time to admit your defeat, remove it.