x11/jwm

Michael Knudsen-3
Hello,

this is a port of jwm, Joe's Window Manager. From the website:

JWM is a window manager for the X11 Window System. JWM is written in C
and uses only Xlib at a minimum. The following libraries can also be
used if available:

        * libXext for the shape extension
        * libXext for the render extension
        * libXinerama for Xinerama support
        * libXpm for XPM icons
        * libpng for PNG icons
        * libxft for antialiased and true type fonts

It can support some MWM, GNOME, and WM Spec hints.

The system wide configuration is installed in ${LOCALBASE}/share/jwm/,
but I'm not sure if this is correct. Is this a @sample candidate?
Also, the provided configuration should probably be tweaked a bit, but
it's usable as it is, so I won't patch it up unless someone complains.

Tested on i386 and alpha, but test reports from other platforms will be
appreciated. Hint: use Xnest :1 and jwm -display :1.

Regards,
Michael.
--
Rumour is information distilled so finely that it can filter through
anything.

jwm.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: x11/jwm

Sigfred Håversen
Michael Knudsen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is a port of jwm, Joe's Window Manager. From the website:

Seems to work OK on i386 using Xnest as you suggested.

Works OK on sparc64 when running it over ssh. Used Xnest as well
here.

However, when starting jwm I get the following:

/bin/sh: xli: not found

/Sigfred

Re: x11/jwm

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:26:19 +0100
Sigfred Håversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Knudsen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > this is a port of jwm, Joe's Window Manager. From the website:
> However, when starting jwm I get the following:
>
> /bin/sh: xli: not found
seems to me as if "xli" is used by a configuration file to set the
background for jwm.

> /Sigfred

Cheers,
Jasper

--
"Security is decided by quality" -- Theo de Raadt

Re: x11/jwm

Michael Knudsen-3
Quoting Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse ([hidden email]):
> > /bin/sh: xli: not found
> seems to me as if "xli" is used by a configuration file to set the
> background for jwm.

Yep, that's why. As I said, I won't do anything about the default theme
unless someone strongly disagrees. I think it's usable as it is.

Regards,
Michael.
--
`Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.'
-- (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Re: x11/jwm

steven mestdagh
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:49:44AM +0100, Michael Knudsen wrote:
> Quoting Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse ([hidden email]):
> > > /bin/sh: xli: not found
> > seems to me as if "xli" is used by a configuration file to set the
> > background for jwm.
>
> Yep, that's why. As I said, I won't do anything about the default theme
> unless someone strongly disagrees. I think it's usable as it is.

what is xli? we don't seem to have that, so maybe you can patch it away.
tested succesfully on sparc64.

steven

Re: x11/jwm

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:13:59 +0100
steven mestdagh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:49:44AM +0100, Michael Knudsen wrote:
> > Quoting Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse ([hidden email]):
> > > seems to me as if "xli" is used by a configuration file to set the
> > > background for jwm.
> >
> > Yep, that's why. As I said, I won't do anything about the default theme
> > unless someone strongly disagrees. I think it's usable as it is.
>
> what is xli?
"WHAT IS IT?

xli is a version of xloadimage.

This utility will view several types of images under X11, or load
images onto the X11 root window"

from: http://ftp.x.org/contrib/applications/xli.README

> we don't seem to have that, so maybe you can patch it away.
> tested succesfully on sparc64.
>
> steven

"Security is decided by quality" -- Theo de Raadt

Re: x11/jwm

Michael Knudsen-3
Quoting steven mestdagh ([hidden email]):
> what is xli? we don't seem to have that, so maybe you can patch it away.
> tested succesfully on sparc64.

HOW IS XLI RELATED TO XLOADIMAGE ?

    xli version 1.00 was based on xloadimage version 3.01.
    xli version 1.16 has many improvements over xli 1.00.

I don't have time for porting it now, so I've just patched it to comment
it out (the referenced image isn't included in the distribution). I don't
think it should be made a dependency anyway.

This update also installs the man page in the right catalogue (1, not 8),
installs system.jwmrc to ${LOCALBASE}/share/examples/jwm/ and marks it
with @sample to ${SYSCONFDIR}.

The manual page is somewhat busted. You have to scroll down around 70
lines before some actual content shows up. I'm not yet sure what goes on
or how to fix it.

Update attached, please test.

Regards,
Michael.
--
The shortest unit of time in the multiverse is the New York Second,
defined as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green
and the cab behind you honking.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)

Re: x11/jwm

Michael Knudsen-3
Quoting steven mestdagh ([hidden email]):
> > Update attached, please test.
>
> the attached tar.gz is 0 bytes.

.. and it's not even Monday.

Second attempt.
--
The Librarian gave him the kind of look other people would reserve for
people who said things like `What's so bad about genocide?'

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:09:44AM +0100, Michael Knudsen wrote:

> Quoting steven mestdagh ([hidden email]):
> > what is xli? we don't seem to have that, so maybe you can patch it away.
> > tested succesfully on sparc64.
>
> HOW IS XLI RELATED TO XLOADIMAGE ?
>
>     xli version 1.00 was based on xloadimage version 3.01.
>     xli version 1.16 has many improvements over xli 1.00.
>
> I don't have time for porting it now, so I've just patched it to comment
> it out (the referenced image isn't included in the distribution). I don't
> think it should be made a dependency anyway.
>
> This update also installs the man page in the right catalogue (1, not 8),
> installs system.jwmrc to ${LOCALBASE}/share/examples/jwm/ and marks it
> with @sample to ${SYSCONFDIR}.
>
> The manual page is somewhat busted. You have to scroll down around 70
> lines before some actual content shows up. I'm not yet sure what goes on
> or how to fix it.

i still see the man page ending up in section 1, but i think that is fine.
i don't have a problem viewing the man page.

steven

Re: x11/jwm

Michael Knudsen-3
Quoting steven mestdagh ([hidden email]):
> i still see the man page ending up in section 1, but i think that is fine.
> i don't have a problem viewing the man page.

Oh, interesting. I'm using MANPAGER=less. With MANPAGER=more there's no
issue. Using hexcurse, I'm seeing 70 0x0A's -- it seems like these are
ignored by more. I don't understand where these line feeds come from,
though. I'll try digging more into it.

Btw. the man page ended up in section 8 before which caused it not to be
tagged with @man.

Regards,
Michael.
--
`Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to
him and he's warm for the rest of his life.'
-- (Terry Pratchett, Jingo)

Re: x11/jwm

Michael Knudsen-3
Quoting Michael Knudsen ([hidden email]):
> Quoting steven mestdagh ([hidden email]):
> > i still see the man page ending up in section 1, but i think that is fine.
> > i don't have a problem viewing the man page.
>
> Oh, interesting. I'm using MANPAGER=less. With MANPAGER=more there's no
> issue. Using hexcurse, I'm seeing 70 0x0A's -- it seems like these are
> ignored by more. I don't understand where these line feeds come from,
> though. I'll try digging more into it.

I've found a hack that reduces the number of blank lines with
MANPAGER=less from 70 to three: Remove a blank line before the markup
commands(?).

Update attached.
--
The Librarian gave him the kind of look other people would reserve for
people who said things like `What's so bad about genocide?'
-- (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)

jwm.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: x11/jwm

steven mestdagh
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:29:06PM +0100, Michael Knudsen wrote:

> Quoting Michael Knudsen ([hidden email]):
> > Quoting steven mestdagh ([hidden email]):
> > > i still see the man page ending up in section 1, but i think that is fine.
> > > i don't have a problem viewing the man page.
> >
> > Oh, interesting. I'm using MANPAGER=less. With MANPAGER=more there's no
> > issue. Using hexcurse, I'm seeing 70 0x0A's -- it seems like these are
> > ignored by more. I don't understand where these line feeds come from,
> > though. I'll try digging more into it.
>
> I've found a hack that reduces the number of blank lines with
> MANPAGER=less from 70 to three: Remove a blank line before the markup
> commands(?).

your fix seems fine. many other man pages also have 3 blank lines at the
top with MANPAGER=less.

some more comments:
- the port does not honour CFLAGS.
- i think it is wrong to set RUN_DEPENDS=${LIB_DEPENDS}. setting
  LIB_DEPENDS should be sufficient.
- is there a reason not to use CONFIGURE_STYLE=gnu ? then --sysconfdir is
  passed automatically.
- what is the reason for linking with libm and libz?

steven

Re: x11/jwm

Michael Knudsen-3
Quoting steven mestdagh ([hidden email]):
> your fix seems fine. many other man pages also have 3 blank lines at the
> top with MANPAGER=less.

I guess they're also using the an macro set then.

> some more comments:
> - the port does not honour CFLAGS.

It should do that now, along with CC.

> - i think it is wrong to set RUN_DEPENDS=${LIB_DEPENDS}. setting
>   LIB_DEPENDS should be sufficient.

Right.

> - is there a reason not to use CONFIGURE_STYLE=gnu ? then --sysconfdir is
>   passed automatically.

Not really. Changed as well.

> - what is the reason for linking with libm and libz?

Otherwise the configure script is unable to compile its png library
test, leading to png support being left out.

Thanks for your comments, update attached.

Regards,
Michael.
--
Om began to feel the acute depression that steals over every realist in
the presence of an optimist.

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 04:20:14PM +0100, Michael Knudsen wrote:

> Quoting steven mestdagh ([hidden email]):
> > your fix seems fine. many other man pages also have 3 blank lines at the
> > top with MANPAGER=less.
>
> I guess they're also using the an macro set then.
>
> > some more comments:
> > - the port does not honour CFLAGS.
>
> It should do that now, along with CC.

it does not, there is still a flag -O2 after our CFLAGS. you may need to
patch configure to get rid of it.

apart from this it looks good to me.

steven

Re: x11/jwm

Michael Knudsen-3
Quoting steven mestdagh ([hidden email]):
> > > some more comments:
> > > - the port does not honour CFLAGS.
> >
> > It should do that now, along with CC.
>
> it does not, there is still a flag -O2 after our CFLAGS. you may need to
> patch configure to get rid of it.

I patched that away in configured.

New version attached.

Regards,
Michael.
--
The shortest unit of time in the multiverse is the New York Second,
defined as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green
and the cab behind you honking.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)

jwm.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: x11/jwm

Christian Weisgerber
Michael Knudsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> New version attached.

DESCR doesn't quite make sense.  Surely somebody who installs the
package is not concerned with hypothetical compile time options.

Gmake isn't really required.  Just remove the mistaken $< dependency for
the .c.o suffix rule in src/Makefile.in.

When adding preprocessor options, such as include paths, for the
benefit of a GNU configure script, use CPPFLAGS rather than CFLAGS.
Makefiles written according to GNU autotools standards will have a
replacement like

CFLAGS = @CFLAGS@ @CPPFLAGS@

If a Makefile fails to pick up CPPFLAGS, add it.

Your patch-src_Makefile_in should not be necessary.  If configure
fails to substitute the desired values there, you probably should
fix configure.

Rather than kludging -lz -lm for png into LDFLAGS, try expanding the
corresponding AC_CHECK_LIB call in configure.in by the fifth "other
libs" argument.  (See the autoconf docs on the AC_CHECK_LIB macro.)
Switch the port to CONFIGURE_STYLE=autoconf and don't forget to
specify AUTOCONF_VERSION.  -L${LOCALBASE}/lib in LDFLAGS is fine.

Use the current major version of the respective libs in LIB_DEPENDS.