wifi 5.4

Alexander Pakhomov
Hi! Have anybody got success with any modern USB WiFi?
I have Realtek  8188CE connected via PCI in my laptop. The 8188CE driver (urtwn) is USB only. So I decided to buy USB WiFi. I've got 2 realtek based and one Realtek 8188EU, one Ralink 5372 and one Atheros AR9271. The first two aren't recognised, the last one hang network after ten minutes of work.
I can try to port urtwn for PCI(express?) if somebody gives me an entry point.
If it is too hard to make any usb wifi work, does anybody have mini pci-e wifi working? I can try to buy another wifi module.

Re: wifi 5.4

Gilles Cafedjian
Hello,
I use Belkin Surf N300 USB WiFi with urtwn(4) driver. I bougth it
specially to work on my old laptop with OpenBSD and it work very well.
Don't forget to run fw_update(1) to get the firmware.

Le 2013-11-02 17:49, Alexander Pakhomov a écrit :

> Hi! Have anybody got success with any modern USB WiFi?
> I have Realtek 8188CE connected via PCI in my laptop. The 8188CE driver (urtwn) is USB only. So I decided to buy USB WiFi. I've got 2 realtek based and one Realtek 8188EU, one Ralink 5372 and one Atheros AR9271. The first two aren't recognised, the last one hang network after ten minutes of work.
> I can try to port urtwn for PCI(express?) if somebody gives me an entry point.
> If it is too hard to make any usb wifi work, does anybody have mini pci-e wifi working? I can try to buy another wifi module.

Re: wifi 5.4

Gilles Cafedjian
I forgot to say, the chip of the Belkin Surf N300 is Realtek RTL8192CU

revelent dmesg:
urtwn0 at uhub1 port 1 "Realtek Belkin Wireless Adapter" rev 2.00/2.00
addr 2
urtwn0: MAC/BB RTL8192CU, RF 6052 2T2R, address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Le 2013-11-02 18:01, Gilles Cafedjian a écrit :

> Hello,
> I use Belkin Surf N300 USB WiFi with urtwn(4) driver. I bougth it
> specially to work on my old laptop with OpenBSD and it work very well.
> Don't forget to run fw_update(1) to get the firmware.
>
> Le 2013-11-02 17:49, Alexander Pakhomov a Ã(c)crit :
>
>> Hi! Have anybody got success with any modern USB WiFi? I have Realtek 8188CE connected via PCI in my laptop. The 8188CE driver (urtwn) is USB only. So I decided to buy USB WiFi. I've got 2 realtek based and one Realtek 8188EU, one Ralink 5372 and one Atheros AR9271. The first two aren't recognised, the last one hang network after ten minutes of work. I can try to port urtwn for PCI(express?) if somebody gives me an entry point. If it is too hard to make any usb wifi work, does anybody have mini pci-e wifi working? I can try to buy another wifi module.

Re: wifi 5.4

pae3
On 11/02/2013 09:18 PM, Gilles Cafedjian wrote:

> I forgot to say, the chip of the Belkin Surf N300 is Realtek RTL8192CU
>
> revelent dmesg:
> urtwn0 at uhub1 port 1 "Realtek Belkin Wireless Adapter" rev 2.00/2.00
> addr 2
> urtwn0: MAC/BB RTL8192CU, RF 6052 2T2R, address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> Le 2013-11-02 18:01, Gilles Cafedjian a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>> I use Belkin Surf N300 USB WiFi with urtwn(4) driver. I bougth it
>> specially to work on my old laptop with OpenBSD and it work very well.
>> Don't forget to run fw_update(1) to get the firmware.
>>
>> Le 2013-11-02 17:49, Alexander Pakhomov a Ã(c)crit :
>>
>>> Hi! Have anybody got success with any modern USB WiFi? I have Realtek 8188CE connected via PCI in my laptop. The 8188CE driver (urtwn) is USB only. So I decided to buy USB WiFi. I've got 2 realtek based and one Realtek 8188EU, one Ralink 5372 and one Atheros AR9271. The first two aren't recognised, the last one hang network after ten minutes of work. I can try to port urtwn for PCI(express?) if somebody gives me an entry point. If it is too hard to make any usb wifi work, does anybody have mini pci-e wifi working? I can try to buy another wifi module.

Asus WL-167g USB dongle works.

dmesg:
rum0 at uhub0 port 2 "Ralink 802.11 bg WLAN" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 5
rum0: MAC/BBP RT2573 (rev 0x2573a), RF RT2528

Alex

Re: wifi 5.4

Jean Lucas-2

> I have Realtek  8188CE connected via PCI in my laptop. The 8188CE driver (urtwn) is USB only. So I decided to buy USB WiFi. I've got 2 realtek based and one Realtek 8188EU, one Ralink 5372 and one Atheros AR9271. The first two aren't recognised, the last one hang network after ten minutes of work.

See urtwn(4) for the list of supported adapters. If/when your network
hangs, run `sh /etc/netstart' to restart it.

> If it is too hard to make any usb wifi work, does anybody have mini pci-e wifi working? I can try to buy another wifi module.

Many USB adapters have been working for a long time in OpenBSD. I
can't say for PCIe, however many `modern' adapters, like the
Airlink101 AWLL5088, are easily bought for $15.

Re: wifi 5.4

Raimo Niskanen-7
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 08:49:43PM +0400, Alexander Pakhomov wrote:
> Hi! Have anybody got success with any modern USB WiFi?
> I have Realtek  8188CE connected via PCI in my laptop. The 8188CE driver (urtwn) is USB only. So I decided to buy USB WiFi. I've got 2 realtek based and one Realtek 8188EU, one Ralink 5372 and one Atheros AR9271. The first two aren't recognised, the last one hang network after ten minutes of work.
> I can try to port urtwn for PCI(express?) if somebody gives me an entry point.
> If it is too hard to make any usb wifi work, does anybody have mini pci-e wifi working? I can try to buy another wifi module.

D-Link DWA-121 works:
    urtwn0 at uhub3 port 2 "Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter" rev 2.00/2.00 addr 4
    urtwn0: MAC/BB RTL8188CUS, RF 6052 1T1R, address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Antenna performance is not much to brag about, as expected.
My dumb smartphone does better.

Re: wifi 5.4

Alexander Pakhomov
Thanks everybody! Just bought tp-link 823 v1.1 (RTL8192CU), it's OK. Be careful, many vendors such as TP-LINK and D-Link change chipset version or manufacture without market name change (they change version printed small letters on the box).