whiteboard over the net

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

whiteboard over the net

Marco Peereboom
I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that runs
over the net.  Anyone know a name of a port?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

David Gwynne
On 30/03/2010, at 2:55 PM, Marco Peereboom wrote:

> I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that runs
> over the net.  Anyone know a name of a port?

i want multiplayer vi.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

patrick keshishian
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:05 PM, David Gwynne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 30/03/2010, at 2:55 PM, Marco Peereboom wrote:
>
>> I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that runs
>> over the net.  Anyone know a name of a port?
>
> i want multiplayer vi.

tmux(1)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Jonathan Schleifer-3
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
Am 30.03.2010 um 06:55 schrieb Marco Peereboom:

> I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that  
> runs
> over the net.  Anyone know a name of a port?

The Psi Jabber Client has Whiteboard suppport, IIRC. Not sure the  
version in ports is new enough, though.

--
Jonathan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Don Cooley
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
On 3/29/10, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that runs
> over the net.  Anyone know a name of a port?
>
>
"Coccinella is a Jabber chat client with whiteboard communication. The
 whiteboard let you share your mp3s, photos, and lots of other stuff.
 Further it accepts any fonts. So you will also be able to share
 mathematical formulas with your contacts."

http://openports.se/net/coccinella

Regards,
Donald Cooley

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Bryan Brake
On 3/30/2010 2:54 AM, Donald Cooley wrote:

> On 3/29/10, Marco Peereboom<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that runs
>> over the net.  Anyone know a name of a port?
>>
>>
> "Coccinella is a Jabber chat client with whiteboard communication. The
>   whiteboard let you share your mp3s, photos, and lots of other stuff.
>   Further it accepts any fonts. So you will also be able to share
>   mathematical formulas with your contacts."
>
> http://openports.se/net/coccinella
>
> Regards,
> Donald Cooley
>

It appears that the openports.se link is being redirected to
"coccinella.im", which is the updated web address for this.  The
application has been updated a bit since the last port.  I've been
looking for a whiteboard app just in passing for conferences at work.
Thanks to all for turning me on to this.  This should "Just Work" with
our jabber chat at work...

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Patrick YU-2
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
Marco Peereboom <slash <at> peereboom.us> writes:

> I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that runs
> over the net.  Anyone know a name of a port?

Etherpad, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherPad

EtherPad is a web-based collaborative real-time editor, allowing up to sixteen
people[1] to edit a text document at the same time, and see all of the
participants' edits in real-time, each in their own color.   Participants can
permanently save revisions at any time, and it provides a separate chat box
in the sidebar.

-- Patrick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Marco Peereboom
aka irc.

I need a whiteboard not a chatter!

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:15:14PM +0000, Patrick YU wrote:

> Marco Peereboom <slash <at> peereboom.us> writes:
>
> > I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that runs
> > over the net.  Anyone know a name of a port?
>
> Etherpad, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherPad
>
> EtherPad is a web-based collaborative real-time editor, allowing up to sixteen
> people[1] to edit a text document at the same time, and see all of the
> participants' edits in real-time, each in their own color.   Participants can
> permanently save revisions at any time, and it provides a separate chat box
> in the sidebar.
>
> -- Patrick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Randal L. Schwartz
In reply to this post by Patrick YU-2
>>>>> "Patrick" == Patrick YU <[hidden email]> writes:

Patrick> Etherpad, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherPad

Until a few days from now, when they'll be shut down because
Google bought the entire company for its talent pool.

Luckily, they open-sourced the code before the shutdown:

  http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/etherpad-open-source-release

and a few hosted solutions have popped up, like typewith.me
and piratepad.net.

--
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Ted Unangst-2
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> aka irc.
>
> I need a whiteboard not a chatter!

etherpad is nothing like irc.  If it's not what you want, you're going
to have to define what you mean by whiteboard, because "whiteboard
with tubes" is exactly what I use etherpad for.

>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:15:14PM +0000, Patrick YU wrote:
>> Marco Peereboom <slash <at> peereboom.us> writes:
>>
>> > I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that runs
>> > over the net.  Anyone know a name of a port?
>>
>> Etherpad, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherPad
>>
>> EtherPad is a web-based collaborative real-time editor, allowing up to
sixteen
>> people[1] to edit a text document at the same time, and see all of the
>> participants' edits in real-time, each in their own color.   Participants
can
>> permanently save revisions at any time, and it provides a separate chat
box
>> in the sidebar.
>>
>> -- Patrick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Marco Peereboom
Drawing shit with the mouse.  Not typing stuff with the keybored.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 04:04:11PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > aka irc.
> >
> > I need a whiteboard not a chatter!
>
> etherpad is nothing like irc.  If it's not what you want, you're going
> to have to define what you mean by whiteboard, because "whiteboard
> with tubes" is exactly what I use etherpad for.
>
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:15:14PM +0000, Patrick YU wrote:
> >> Marco Peereboom <slash <at> peereboom.us> writes:
> >>
> >> > I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that runs
> >> > over the net. ?Anyone know a name of a port?
> >>
> >> Etherpad, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherPad
> >>
> >> EtherPad is a web-based collaborative real-time editor, allowing up to sixteen
> >> people[1] to edit a text document at the same time, and see all of the
> >> participants' edits in real-time, each in their own color. ? Participants can
> >> permanently save revisions at any time, and it provides a separate chat box
> >> in the sidebar.
> >>
> >> -- Patrick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Mark Rolen
It looks like EtherPad will be gone after tomorrow, too.  Google is killing
it and moving the functionality into Google Wave:
http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/google-acquires-appjet


On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Drawing shit with the mouse.  Not typing stuff with the keybored.
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 04:04:11PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > > aka irc.
> > >
> > > I need a whiteboard not a chatter!
> >
> > etherpad is nothing like irc.  If it's not what you want, you're going
> > to have to define what you mean by whiteboard, because "whiteboard
> > with tubes" is exactly what I use etherpad for.
> >
> > >
> > > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:15:14PM +0000, Patrick YU wrote:
> > >> Marco Peereboom <slash <at> peereboom.us> writes:
> > >>
> > >> > I have been looking for some sort of whiteboard like software that
> runs
> > >> > over the net. ?Anyone know a name of a port?
> > >>
> > >> Etherpad, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherPad
> > >>
> > >> EtherPad is a web-based collaborative real-time editor, allowing up to
> sixteen
> > >> people[1] to edit a text document at the same time, and see all of the
> > >> participants' edits in real-time, each in their own color. ?
> Participants can
> > >> permanently save revisions at any time, and it provides a separate
> chat box
> > >> in the sidebar.
> > >>
> > >> -- Patrick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

William Boshuck
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 03:15:42PM -0500, Marco Peereboom wrote:
> Drawing shit with the mouse.  Not typing stuff with the keybored.

Recently I saw a British geometer (currently in Norway)
saying (on the categories mailing list) that he was quite
happy with Jarnal.

http://www.dklevine.com/general/software/tc1000/jarnal.htm

Apparently it has bells and whistles such as collaboration,
inserting images, recording and playing back pen strokes,
handwriting (printing) recognition, etc.

It is written in Java.  I have never tried it.  

One of the authors has this to say about it:

"Jarnal is a breakthrough in computer software, comprising thousand
of lines of code, and developed at enormous expense of labor and
frustration. It enables you to provide your $2500 Tablet PC with
the same functionality achieved by a pad of paper and a pencil
costing at least several dollars."

-wb

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

patrick keshishian
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:27 PM, William Boshuck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 03:15:42PM -0500, Marco Peereboom wrote:
>> Drawing shit with the mouse.  Not typing stuff with the keybored.
>
> Recently I saw a British geometer (currently in Norway)
> saying (on the categories mailing list) that he was quite
> happy with Jarnal.
>
> http://www.dklevine.com/general/software/tc1000/jarnal.htm
>
> Apparently it has bells and whistles such as collaboration,
> inserting images, recording and playing back pen strokes,
> handwriting (printing) recognition, etc.
>
> It is written in Java.  I have never tried it.
>
> One of the authors has this to say about it:
>
> "Jarnal is a breakthrough in computer software, comprising thousand
> of lines of code, and developed at enormous expense of labor and
> frustration. It enables you to provide your $2500 Tablet PC with
> the same functionality achieved by a pad of paper and a pencil
> costing at least several dollars."

priceless!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

David Vasek
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Marco Peereboom wrote:

> Drawing shit with the mouse.  Not typing stuff with the keybored.

A drawing app of your choice + a VNC of your choice? I used such a setup
several times with various OS's.

Regards,
David

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

patrick keshishian
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM, David Vasek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Marco Peereboom wrote:
>
>> Drawing shit with the mouse.  Not typing stuff with the keybored.
>
> A drawing app of your choice + a VNC of your choice? I used such a setup
> several times with various OS's.

pencil + paper + web-cam*

*inspired by William Boshuck post.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Joel Wirāmu Pauling
I recommend http://dimdim.com

for something platform agnostic and running on a FOSS platform.

Openignite server if you are wanting to put something installable in
place (xmpp colab suite)

-Joel Pauling

On 31 March 2010 10:51, patrick keshishian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM, David Vasek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Marco Peereboom wrote:
>>
>>> Drawing shit with the mouse. B Not typing stuff with the keybored.
>>
>> A drawing app of your choice + a VNC of your choice? I used such a setup
>> several times with various OS's.
>
> pencil + paper + web-cam*
>
> *inspired by William Boshuck post.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Ted Unangst-2
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Drawing shit with the mouse.  Not typing stuff with the keybored.

webcanvas.com  Just carve off a section as your territory, like
http://webcanvas.com/100N600W#-228000,-30000,0

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Marco Peereboom
In reply to this post by Joel Wirāmu Pauling
tried it; didnt work.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:19:32AM +1300, Joel Wiramu Pauling wrote:

> I recommend http://dimdim.com
>
> for something platform agnostic and running on a FOSS platform.
>
> Openignite server if you are wanting to put something installable in
> place (xmpp colab suite)
>
> -Joel Pauling
>
> On 31 March 2010 10:51, patrick keshishian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM, David Vasek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Marco Peereboom wrote:
> >>
> >>> Drawing shit with the mouse. B Not typing stuff with the keybored.
> >>
> >> A drawing app of your choice + a VNC of your choice? I used such a setup
> >> several times with various OS's.
> >
> > pencil + paper + web-cam*
> >
> > *inspired by William Boshuck post.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: whiteboard over the net

Marco Peereboom
In reply to this post by Ted Unangst-2
oooh that looks perfect; let me try that.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 06:27:13PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Drawing shit with the mouse.  Not typing stuff with the keybored.
>
> webcanvas.com  Just carve off a section as your territory, like
> http://webcanvas.com/100N600W#-228000,-30000,0

12