whine about ports LOCK

Marc Espie-2
let things be clear.

We know produce frequent enough pkg snapshots that people who are interested
in the quality of OpenBSD ports can test, all the time.

Problems we're not aware of DON'T EXIST.  If it's not reported to the
maintainer, or this ml, but vaguely on some irc channel where no openbsd
developer ever sets foot, then there's NO BUG.

As far as the release process goes, you can see the system go to beta.
If you don't test the rest of the time, you should test THEN.

People are still under the misconception that when we announce lock, there's
still time to do 10s of innocuous bug-fixes, or fix critical problems that
have been there for 2 months (see above paragraph, we need to be aware of
said critical problems first).

Nope. Lock is lock. It's darn near to actual release builds.  Each
monkey-wrench will not help, and there are usually enough actual critical
last minute issues without new stuff that pops up suddenly because "hey,
it's not release-time, so let's wait to report that bug".

Just to put things in perspective, over the last 6 months, there have
been a HUGE number of bug fixes and improvements... being able to build
chrome in a fraction of the time it used to take helped bulk builds.  Some
rather large file system bugs have been quashed. The whole ports
building network has seen some fairly major restructuring for speed.
(and that's just a very small selection of things I like which I took
from things I'm aware of among other things which I haven't followed
closely at all).

Re: whine about ports LOCK

Christian Weisgerber
Marc Espie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We know produce frequent enough pkg snapshots that people who are interested
> in the quality of OpenBSD ports can test, all the time.

For amd64, there have been 33 package snapshots between 5.3 unlock
and 5.4 lock.

Re: whine about ports LOCK

Ted Unangst-6
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 13:27, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Marc Espie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We know produce frequent enough pkg snapshots that people who are
> interested
>> in the quality of OpenBSD ports can test, all the time.
>
> For amd64, there have been 33 package snapshots between 5.3 unlock
> and 5.4 lock.

I think the problem is that the release schedule is so complicated,
you have to be really, really smart to predict when a lock is
approaching. I know I saw your email and was like "wow, it's the third
week of July already? Who would have guessed it comes after the second
week of July?"

Re: whine about ports LOCK

Marc Espie-2
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:56:21AM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 13:27, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > Marc Espie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> We know produce frequent enough pkg snapshots that people who are
> > interested
> >> in the quality of OpenBSD ports can test, all the time.
> >
> > For amd64, there have been 33 package snapshots between 5.3 unlock
> > and 5.4 lock.
>
> I think the problem is that the release schedule is so complicated,
> you have to be really, really smart to predict when a lock is
> approaching. I know I saw your email and was like "wow, it's the third
> week of July already? Who would have guessed it comes after the second
> week of July?"

Nah, the part you have to know is not complicated.

Theo takes the kernel to beta -> lock may happen at about any time.

Too late to start non critical things.