which ISO for a VM?

Zachary Uram
I have never run OpenBSD before and want to try it out. Wondering if
there is an ISO I can run in VirtualBox? If not what is the
recommended method for users who wish to run OpenBSD in
virtualization?

Regards,
Zach

<>< http://www.fidei.org ><>

Re: which ISO for a VM?

David Coppa
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Zachary Uram <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have never run OpenBSD before and want to try it out. Wondering if
> there is an ISO I can run in VirtualBox? If not what is the
> recommended method for users who wish to run OpenBSD in
> virtualization?

dunno if the "disk full" issue on VirtualBox has been solved...
btw OpenBSD works well as vmware guest (tested on both VMware Server
and ESX, with i386 and amd64)

ciao,
david

Re: which ISO for a VM?

Tobias Ulmer
On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 05:23:25AM -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:
> I have never run OpenBSD before and want to try it out. Wondering if
> there is an ISO I can run in VirtualBox? If not what is the

VB is broken. They're patching the kernel on the fly and seem to miss
the right spot depending on the phase of the moon or whatever. Do not
blame any issues on OpenBSD.

> recommended method for users who wish to run OpenBSD in
> virtualization?

You may try vmware. cdXX.iso is enough.

> Regards,
> Zach
>
> <>< http://www.fidei.org ><>

Re: which ISO for a VM?

matteo filippetto
2010/4/2 Zachary Uram <[hidden email]>:

> I have never run OpenBSD before and want to try it out. Wondering if
> there is an ISO I can run in VirtualBox? If not what is the
> recommended method for users who wish to run OpenBSD in
> virtualization?
>
> Regards,
> Zach
>
> <>< http://www.fidei.org ><>

Hi,

you can download an iso for i386 here

ftp://ftp.eu.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/i386/install46.iso

and if you like it you can also buy bootable cds from openbsd shop.

Best regards
Matteo Filippetto

Re: which ISO for a VM?

Paul de Weerd
On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 05:23:25AM -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:
| I have never run OpenBSD before and want to try it out. Wondering if
| there is an ISO I can run in VirtualBox? If not what is the
| recommended method for users who wish to run OpenBSD in
| virtualization?

I can support Davids suggestion for VMWare. I run VMWare Fusion on one
of those highly overpriced laptops from the well known phone^Wtoy
company, with a bunch of OS'es (beats carrying a bunch of laptops).
OpenBSD runs just fine.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: which ISO for a VM?

Robert Blacquiere-2
On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 05:23:25AM -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:
> I have never run OpenBSD before and want to try it out. Wondering if
> there is an ISO I can run in VirtualBox? If not what is the
> recommended method for users who wish to run OpenBSD in
> virtualization?
>
> Regards,
> Zach

I'me running i386 and amd64 in virtualbox on freebsd without much
problems. Maybe it is not production grade stuff but i use it for some
tests etc.

Don't expect high performance or stability.

Regards

Robert

Re: which ISO for a VM?

Bryan Irvine
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:42 AM, David Coppa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Zachary Uram <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have never run OpenBSD before and want to try it out. Wondering if
>> there is an ISO I can run in VirtualBox? If not what is the
>> recommended method for users who wish to run OpenBSD in
>> virtualization?
>
> dunno if the "disk full" issue on VirtualBox has been solved...
> btw OpenBSD works well as vmware guest (tested on both VMware Server
> and ESX, with i386 and amd64)

I only experienced the "disk full" alert when using VB's auto
expanding disk feature.  If you create it as a fixed size, it works
just fine.

I've used it a dev/test environment for quite some time.

-B