want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Marcus MERIGHI
Dear all,

not everyone is reading want.html every day, therefore I wanted to hint
at: https://www.openbsd.org/want.html

stsp@wifi is asking for gear and we should deliver :-)

"Ubiquity Unifi Ufo / Unifi AP Pro are needed for wifi driver debugging
in Berlin, Germany. Contact [hidden email]"

I cannot find "Unifi Ufo", but "Unifi AP Pro" is not a cheapo Access
Point, around EUR 160,-- here.

Marcus

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Bob Smith
On Saturday, October 6, 2018 9:21 AM, Marcus MERIGHI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> not everyone is reading want.html every day, therefore I wanted to hint
> at: https://www.openbsd.org/want.html
>
> stsp@wifi is asking for gear and we should deliver :-)
>
> "Ubiquity Unifi Ufo / Unifi AP Pro are needed for wifi driver debugging
> in Berlin, Germany. Contact [hidden email]"
>
> I cannot find "Unifi Ufo", but "Unifi AP Pro" is not a cheapo Access
> Point, around EUR 160,-- here.
>
> Marcus

Unifi not a cheapo access point ? That's a first for me! Unifi APs are probably the cheapest half-decent APs on the market, especially if you compare them to the typical cost of a brand name "enterprise" AP.

As someone who has recently donated, surely this is the very sort of thing the OpenBSD Foundation should be funding ?  I didn't just give money to pay for electricity bills caused by people insisting on maintaining racks of vintage room-heaters.

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Tom Smyth
I have asked ubnt to donate the hardware if that
request gets lost in space.. I will purchase them...
and donate them to stsp ...  (they can afford to give it more
than I can )
regarding the price point of the ap... they are
mid range.. and affordable if you are deploying them commercially
but they are more expensive than cheap  (almost disposable comsumer grade
routers)
regarding the your comment previous donation.. I dont
agree with your assertion, as such when one  donates
it is in trust that the foundation will centrally manage the funds.

the requests in want.html is a way for  devs of asking the community
if you have spare hardware lying around help a brother out ...
it saves paper work and time ... and not in any way controversial.
im not a dev or a member of the foundation, im someone who
donates to the foundation  money (monthly small contribution )
-beer
-hardware
and I try where I can(comercially justify it with my colleagues )
contract work to OpenBSD Devs
im happy to keep doing so ...and think want.html is a useful
way of connecting developers to users /vendors to and allow users
if they so wish to directly help a developer.

basically my past donations to the project dont give me the right
to second guess the projects future requests for assistance..

peace out ...
Tom Smyth

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth

Mobile: +353 87 6193172
The information contained in this E-mail is intended only for the
confidential use of the named recipient. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering it to the recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this communication in error and that any review,
dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this in error, please notify the sender
immediately by telephone at the number above and erase the message
You are requested to carry out your own virus check before
opening any attachment.

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Otto Moerbeek
On Sat, Oct 06, 2018 at 09:52:18AM +0000, Tim Jones wrote:

> [...]

Sorry, donating to the foundation does not give you the right to
bitch.  The directors spend your money as they see fit within the
goals of the foundation. That's the nature of a donation: it comes with
no strings attached for the party receiving.

Often it is more effective to ask for hw on want.html (as people tend to have
stuff lying around) than to buy new stuff all the time.

        -Otto

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Klemens Nanni-2
On Sat, Oct 06, 2018 at 09:52:18AM +0000, Tim Jones wrote:
> As someone who has recently donated, surely this is the very sort of thing the OpenBSD Foundation should be funding ?  I didn't just give money to pay for electricity bills caused by people insisting on maintaining racks of vintage room-heaters.
https://www.openbsdfoundation.org/activities.html

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Stefan Sperling-5
On Sat, Oct 06, 2018 at 09:52:18AM +0000, Tim Jones wrote:

Great, so if you find one or two of these lying around, ship them to me.
There is no need to buy a new shrink-wrapped product to cover this request.

I need these because according to reports I received they seem to trigger
an iwm(4) bug which I want to try to reproduce locally, in the little spare
time I have, so that your and other peoples' laptops can benefit.

> As someone who has recently donated, surely this is the very sort of thing
> the OpenBSD Foundation should be funding ?  I didn't just give money to pay
> for electricity bills caused by people insisting on maintaining racks of
> vintage room-heaters.

Actually, the foundation does fund hardware occasionally, but those
tend to be bigger and more expensive items like laptops for developers
who don't have enough spare cash to buy machines that cost more than
a thousand quid. If you monitor our lists for dmesgs of rather expensive
machines you'll notice that they rarely come from developers who could
self-fund them.

By adding an entry to want.html I didn't ask the foundation specifically,
I asked *anyone* out there if they have a spare unit or two of these.

If you feel your donations are being misdirected, I am sorry for your
perceived loss. I know they are being put to good use in this project,
not just for your own benefit, but for the benefit of the open source
software ecosystem as a whole. Thanks for sharing some of your money
with the rest of us, and supporting our efforts.

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Bob Smith
> That's the nature of a donation: it comes with
> no strings attached for the party receiving.

Evidently you have not heard of restricted funds.

If a donor gives on a restricted funds basis (happens all the time), then its black and white, either (a) return the funds or (b) abide by the restrictions set by the donor.

The vast majority of non-profits will quite happily accept restricted funds because its a bit of a "cut

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Bob Smith
I think the point I'm making here is it should be worthwhile to send the kit.

Unifi access points are so cheap, that second-hand ones "lying around" are not likely to be worth the cost and effort to ship internationally (or even nationally in the case of some postal systems).

Something like a 10gig switch or whatever would be a different kettle of fish, as the residual value would make it worthwhile.

For commodity kit like that, I think Tom Smyth is thinking more down the correct lines of approaching the manufacturer.  I would also suggest approaching the higher-tier "authorised resellers" would be an equally good idea, as larger resellers higher up the food chain are often allocated a quota of free/cheap units.  They are generally not permitted to dispose of the freebies for a defined period, but after that, they can normally do with them as they wish.

On Sat, Oct 06, 2018 at 11:22:12AM +0000, Tim Jones wrote:
> I think the point I'm making here is it should be worthwhile to send the kit.
>
> Unifi access points are so cheap, that second-hand ones "lying around" are not likely to be worth the cost and effort to ship internationally (or even nationally in the case of some postal systems).
>
> Something like a 10gig switch or whatever would be a different kettle of fish, as the residual value would make it worthwhile.
>
> For commodity kit like that, I think Tom Smyth is thinking more down the correct lines of approaching the manufacturer.  I would also suggest approaching the higher-tier "authorised resellers" would be an equally good idea, as larger resellers higher up the food chain are often allocated a quota of free/cheap units.  They are generally not permitted to dispose of the freebies for a defined period, but after that, they can normally do with them as they wish.

Thank you for handling the logistics so I don't have to do that
on top of everything else I'm doing.
I am looking forward to receiving your shipment.

Tim Jones <[hidden email]> schreef op 6 oktober 2018 13:12:19 CEST:

>> That's the nature of a donation: it comes with
>> no strings attached for the party receiving.
>
>Evidently you have not heard of restricted funds.
>
>If a donor gives on a restricted funds basis (happens all the time),
>then its black and white, either (a) return the funds or (b) abide by
>the restrictions set by the donor.
>
>The vast majority of non-profits will quite happily accept restricted
>funds because its a bit of a "cut

But none will accept restrictions after the donation has already been given without those.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail. Excuseer mijn beknoptheid.

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Bob Smith
> Thank you for handling the logistics so I don't have to do that
> on top of everything else I'm doing.
> I am looking forward to receiving your shipment.

Oh right, and the rest of us don't have day-jobs, plus other commitments outside of working hours ?

From now on, I'll take a simple stance.  If you want my spare Unifi kit, you'll pay for the packaging and the postage.

If you want another financial donation ?  Well, be prepared for it to come with tight restrictions.

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Theo de Raadt-2
Tim Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Thank you for handling the logistics so I don't have to do that
> > on top of everything else I'm doing.
> > I am looking forward to receiving your shipment.
>

> Oh right, and the rest of us don't have day-jobs, plus other commitments outside of working hours ?
>
> From now on, I'll take a simple stance.  If you want my spare Unifi kit, you'll pay for the packaging and the postage.
>
> If you want another financial donation ?  Well, be prepared for it to come with tight restrictions.

oh my, the moral outrage

This is not the place for it.  Suggest you find other mailing lists to
participate in.

On 2018-10-06, Tim Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you want another financial donation ?  Well, be prepared for it to come with tight restrictions.

That becomes not a "donation" but more of a "payment for work", many
devs can't accept that.

With want.html if you have the kit spare (or are feeling rich) and don't
mind mailing it out then contact the person asking for it. If not then
just move on, there is no need to waste people's time with this sort of
email.

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Jacqueline Jolicoeur
> Oh right, and the rest of us don't have day-jobs, plus other
commitments outside of working hours ?

That must be hard for you. You feel you want more time in your life.

You feel the way to have control is with money.

On Saturday, October 6, 2018 6:00 PM, Jacqueline Jolicoeur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Oh right, and the rest of us don't have day-jobs, plus other
>
> commitments outside of working hours ?
>
> That must be hard for you. You feel you want more time in your life.
>
> > If you want another financial donation ? Well, be prepared for
>
> it to come with tight restrictions.
>
> You feel the way to have control is with money.

Jacqueline,

You are taking things um-necessarily out of context.

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Theo de Raadt-2
Tim Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim

Your preaching days are over.

If you think you can tell the OpenBSD group how to behave, then you open
the door for judgements against yourself.

Let it go, and consider leaving for good.

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Daniel Ouellet
On 10/6/18 11:48 AM, Tim Jones wrote:

>> Thank you for handling the logistics so I don't have to do that
>> on top of everything else I'm doing.
>> I am looking forward to receiving your shipment.
>

> Oh right, and the rest of us don't have day-jobs, plus other commitments outside of working hours ?
>
> From now on, I'll take a simple stance.  If you want my spare Unifi kit, you'll pay for the packaging and the postage.
>
> If you want another financial donation ?  Well, be prepared for it to come with tight restrictions.

WOW.

I wonder what restriction OpenBSD put on you for the usage of the project...

Oh wait NONE!!!!

You are barking to the wrong tree man!

You use and accept totally free gift, but you fell you need to put
restriction on your...

WOW I wonder how your friends and family fell when you give them gift!!!

Oh wait, may be you have no friends...

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Mihai Popescu-3
Excuse me for this email, but why the hell many trolls have protonmail
email addresses?

Just curious, thanks.

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Stuart Henderson
On 2018-10-07, Mihai Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Excuse me for this email, but why the hell many trolls have protonmail
> email addresses?
>
> Just curious, thanks.

Obviously our attempts at breaking protonmail in browsers didn't work well enough

/s

Re: want.html: Unifi wifi gear for interop debugging

Diana Eichert
Good Gawd people, quit complaining about your "donation".  If you
want to support a dev buy the gear and ship it to them.  I used to
do it a fair bit, but can't any more because of pressing family
member health issues.

diana