vultr

Edgar Pettijohn III-2
I was thinking about spinning up a new instance on vultr to play with.
They have an option to install OBSD 6.3/4. Has anyone tried these? I
attempted the FBSD one in the past, but the default install was all
whacked out and I had to start over with a fresh install.

Thanks,

Edgar

Re: vultr

OpenBSD lists
On 1/5/2019 2:22 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I was thinking about spinning up a new instance on vultr to play with.
> They have an option to install OBSD 6.3/4. Has anyone tried these? I
> attempted the FBSD one in the past, but the default install was all
> whacked out and I had to start over with a fresh install.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Edgar

The default is alright, but comes with keys and passwords they
generated, plus they do a single-partition scheme on the smaller disk
instances and the auto partition on the others.  Good for a general
purpose machine, but not so great if you have a specific task in mind.
They also tend to install all the sets.

But since they let you upload an ISO and give you full console access, I
just do a fresh install and customize as much as I want for the system I
am building.  Usually so I can get a good partitioning scheme set up
(256m on /, /home, /tmp, /usr/local, /var and swap; with a 1g /usr and
swap) so I can dedicate 15g (Or more) to a partition for whatever task
the machine was built for.

-CA

Re: vultr

Donald Cooley
On January 5, 2019 4:22:23 PM CST, [hidden email] wrote:
>I was thinking about spinning up a new instance on vultr to play with.
>They have an option to install OBSD 6.3/4. Has anyone tried these? I
>attempted the FBSD one in the past, but the default install was all
>whacked out and I had to start over with a fresh install.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Edgar

Normally a lurker here. With that out of the way, I have a 6.3 running.
I can't remember though if I installed it myself or used their default
install. One problem I had was with ntp continually drifting by hours
and days. After searching for a solution for a very long time I reached
out to their support. They made a change and with my permission they
restarted the instance and it has been trouble free for months. It's a
very simple static site made with Hugo at davidscooley.com.

Re: vultr

Antonino Sidoti

I have two systems with Vultr (Sydney and Tokyo) and find them to be fine. True the default install using the automated Vultr 6.3/6.4 install will create two partitions and swap. I have installed one of my OpenBSD system using a custom install ISO OpenBSD 6.4 and with that I can do it whatever I like and partition the system as I see fit.

> On 6 Jan 2019, at 9:40 am, Misc User <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I was thinking about spinning up a new instance on vultr to play with.
>> They have an option to install OBSD 6.3/4. Has anyone tried these? I
>> attempted the FBSD one in the past, but the default install was all
>> whacked out and I had to start over with a fresh install.
>> Thanks,
>> Edgar
> The default is alright, but comes with keys and passwords they generated, plus they do a single-partition scheme on the smaller disk instances and the auto partition on the others.  Good for a general purpose machine, but not so great if you have a specific task in mind. They also tend to install all the sets.
>
> But since they let you upload an ISO and give you full console access, I just do a fresh install and customize as much as I want for the system I am building.  Usually so I can get a good partitioning scheme set up (256m on /, /home, /tmp, /usr/local, /var and swap; with a 1g /usr and swap) so I can dedicate 15g (Or more) to a partition for whatever task the machine was built for.
>
> -CA

Re: vultr

Edgar Pettijohn III-2
On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 02:40:43PM -0800, Misc User wrote:

> > I was thinking about spinning up a new instance on vultr to play with.
> > They have an option to install OBSD 6.3/4. Has anyone tried these? I
> > attempted the FBSD one in the past, but the default install was all
> > whacked out and I had to start over with a fresh install.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Edgar
> >
> The default is alright, but comes with keys and passwords they generated,
> plus they do a single-partition scheme on the smaller disk instances and the
> auto partition on the others.  Good for a general purpose machine, but not
> so great if you have a specific task in mind. They also tend to install all
> the sets.

Sounds like a clean install is the way to go.

> But since they let you upload an ISO and give you full console access, I
> just do a fresh install and customize as much as I want for the system I am
> building.  Usually so I can get a good partitioning scheme set up (256m on
> /, /home, /tmp, /usr/local, /var and swap; with a 1g /usr and swap) so I can
> dedicate 15g (Or more) to a partition for whatever task the machine was
> built for.
>
> -CA

I've been using vultr since around 5.8 or there abouts with no issues. Just
saw they had an image available and didn't want to waste time with it if it
was going to give me trouble later. Then again a fresh install doesn't take that
long, might test it out anyway.

Thanks for all the replies.

Edgar

Re: vultr

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 05:43:36PM -0600, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 02:40:43PM -0800, Misc User wrote:
> > On 1/5/2019 2:22 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > I was thinking about spinning up a new instance on vultr to play with.
> > > They have an option to install OBSD 6.3/4. Has anyone tried these? I
> > > attempted the FBSD one in the past, but the default install was all
> > > whacked out and I had to start over with a fresh install.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Edgar
> > >
> > The default is alright, but comes with keys and passwords they generated,
> > plus they do a single-partition scheme on the smaller disk instances and the
> > auto partition on the others.  Good for a general purpose machine, but not
> > so great if you have a specific task in mind. They also tend to install all
> > the sets.
> >

> Sounds like a clean install is the way to go.
>
> > But since they let you upload an ISO and give you full console access, I
> > just do a fresh install and customize as much as I want for the system I am
> > building.  Usually so I can get a good partitioning scheme set up (256m on
> > /, /home, /tmp, /usr/local, /var and swap; with a 1g /usr and swap) so I can
> > dedicate 15g (Or more) to a partition for whatever task the machine was
> > built for.
> >
> > -CA
> >

> I've been using vultr since around 5.8 or there abouts with no issues. Just
> saw they had an image available and didn't want to waste time with it if it
> was going to give me trouble later. Then again a fresh install doesn't take that
> long, might test it out anyway.
>
> Thanks for all the replies.

Use their default OpenBSD install. They have a special config on the
host for OpenBSD and the clock drifting problem.

Then download bsd.rd from an official OpenBSD mirror, check the file
with signify, copy the file to /, reboot the system, run "boot bsd.rd"
in the boot prompt and reinstall everything cleaning the whole disk.

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: vultr

Nick Holland
On 1/5/19 5:22 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I was thinking about spinning up a new instance on vultr to play with.
> They have an option to install OBSD 6.3/4. Has anyone tried these? I
> attempted the FBSD one in the past, but the default install was all
> whacked out and I had to start over with a fresh install.

as others have said, they support OpenBSD, that's enough.  Don't expect
perfection on their install, it sucks actually.  But their SW supports
OpenBSD.

Use their install ONLY to put your own bsd.rd in root (everyone seems to
obsess over loading an ISO.  Who cares?  Just use a -current bsd.rd!),
boot off that, reinstall exactly as you want it.  The Vultr console
works great on OpenBSD chrome and firefox browsers.  Use DHCP for
network.  Done.

If you have ever used VMWare's craptastic management clients, you will
be amazed how well Vultr works.

Nick.

Re: vultr

lists+misc
On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 08:44:03AM -0500, Nick Holland wrote:
> Use their install ONLY to put your own bsd.rd in root (everyone seems to
> obsess over loading an ISO.  Who cares?  Just use a -current bsd.rd!),
> boot off that, reinstall exactly as you want it.  The Vultr console
> works great on OpenBSD chrome and firefox browsers.  Use DHCP for
> network.  Done.

This is exactly what I have done, and it works very well.  I just wanted
to add that I included "inet6 autoconf -autoconfprivacy" in addition to
"dhcp" in hostname.vio0, and I now have a dual-stack enabled server.  I
was pleasantly surprised that all the OpenBSD daemons I use "just work."

Re: vultr

Edgar Pettijohn III-2

On Jan 7, 2019 9:31 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 08:44:03AM -0500, Nick Holland wrote:
> > Use their install ONLY to put your own bsd.rd in root (everyone seems to
> > obsess over loading an ISO.  Who cares?  Just use a -current bsd.rd!),
> > boot off that, reinstall exactly as you want it.  The Vultr console
> > works great on OpenBSD chrome and firefox browsers.  Use DHCP for
> > network.  Done.
>
> This is exactly what I have done, and it works very well.  I just wanted
> to add that I included "inet6 autoconf -autoconfprivacy" in addition to
> "dhcp" in hostname.vio0, and I now have a dual-stack enabled server.  I
> was pleasantly surprised that all the OpenBSD daemons I use "just work."

Yes. That is the best part of OBSD. Everything I use has perfect defaults. It's rare for me to need to make any changes. Other than httpd and smtpd, but even those are generally real easy and you can almost just guess at the syntax needed.

Edgar

Re: vultr

Etienne
On 06/01/2019 16:38, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:

> Use their default OpenBSD install. They have a special config on the
> host for OpenBSD and the clock drifting problem.

Can you tell us more? Do you mean they change a setting on the host
machine just for the OpenBSD guest, that they wouldn't otherwise?
> Then download bsd.rd from an official OpenBSD mirror, check the file
> with signify, copy the file to /, reboot the system, run "boot bsd.rd"
> in the boot prompt and reinstall everything cleaning the whole disk.

Thanks for the tip, been wondering for a while how to fix this.

--
Étienne