vmm Graphics Support

Luigi30
Hi,

I’ve been tinkering with adding an MDA device to vmm. I was wondering if the way that we would add X support to vmm had been discussed so there’s somewhere for the video output to go.

I’m not too familiar with OpenBSD development practices, so I’m not sure where to look for this kind of information. I know graphics support has been a low priority for vmm and I’d like to contribute to getting at least a text console up and running without having to use the VGA to TTY redirector.

Thanks!
Katherine

Re: vmm Graphics Support

Joe Davis
Hi,

Not an OpenBSD developer, just another hobbyist tinkering with vmm
(currently working on adding a gdb stub, like the one in qemu that I've
found useful for osdev in the past)

VNC is one way to go about it. That would however involve adding an
entire VNC server to vmd.

To start off, exposing the framebuffer via a file in /dev would be
another way to do it and would keep the implementation in vmd relatively
simple. Somebody else would be better qualified to address the security
implications of doing this.

-
Joe