video card for amd64

Roger Midmore
I just built a new amd64 system with a nvidia 7800gt graphics card but
want to run OpenBSD. I know that OpenBSD won't support the card but was
wondering if it's possible to install another really cheap video card and
have OpenBSD work. Or have a workaround with MESA instead?

roger

Re: video card for amd64

Matthieu Herrb
Roger Midmore wrote:
> I just built a new amd64 system with a nvidia 7800gt graphics card but
> want to run OpenBSD. I know that OpenBSD won't support the card but was
> wondering if it's possible to install another really cheap video card and
> have OpenBSD work. Or have a workaround with MESA instead?

OpenBSD doesn't support DRI (ie hardware accelerated OpenGL) at all for
now. But X.Org provide software OpenGL using Mesa in this case.

The 'nv' driver in X.Org 6.9 supports the 2D acceleration features of
the 7800GT so X should just work won your system.

Matthieu Herrb

Re: video card for amd64

Roger Midmore
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

Well, in that case I installed OpenBSD 3.8 on my computer but when I try
to run X a gray screen with lines comes up and the system hangs. I ran
Xorg -configure before startx so I think it's configured properly. I was
thinking that it was because the card wasn't supported that this was
happening. Has anyone ran into this problem before.