video capture / streaming

Rudolf Sykora-2
Dear list,

I'd like to stream video from my (usb-connected) camera via a web
server. The 1st I tried was to see if the camera works. So:

odin$ video
video: /dev/video: Permission denied
odin$ doas video
No protocol specified
video: cannot open display :0.0
odin$ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
odin$ doas video
^Codin$

Ie, at last I saw an X window with the video. But is it possible to run
the video command as an ordinary user? (I had to doas...)

Next I want to stream the video via some kind of a server.
On the internet I saw people using 'ffmpeg' to serve the file somehow,
as well as using 'nginx' with the 'rtmp' module. Is any of this the way
how you would achieve the goal, or is it possible to use, say, the 'httpd'
server?

At this moment I know very little both about streaming and available
servers to do the job, and that's why I am asking for recommendation
based on some experience and knowledge.

Thank you for any comments.

Ruda

Re: video capture / streaming

Omar Polo-3

Rudolf Sykora <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear list,
>

> I'd like to stream video from my (usb-connected) camera via a web
> server. The 1st I tried was to see if the camera works. So:
>
> odin$ video
> video: /dev/video: Permission denied
> odin$ doas video
> No protocol specified
> video: cannot open display :0.0
> odin$ xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
> odin$ doas video
> ^Codin$
>
> Ie, at last I saw an X window with the video. But is it possible to run
> the video command as an ordinary user? (I had to doas...)

I don't have a webcam at hand atm, but IIRC you should chown /dev/video
to your user.  I did something like this ~2 years ago, so maybe I'm
wrong, but the permission get resetted on reboot, so you should edit
/etc/rc.local.

I can't comment on the rest.

HTH

> Next I want to stream the video via some kind of a server.
> On the internet I saw people using 'ffmpeg' to serve the file somehow,
> as well as using 'nginx' with the 'rtmp' module. Is any of this the way
> how you would achieve the goal, or is it possible to use, say, the 'httpd'
> server?
>
> At this moment I know very little both about streaming and available
> servers to do the job, and that's why I am asking for recommendation
> based on some experience and knowledge.
>
> Thank you for any comments.
>

> Ruda

Re: video capture / streaming

Mihai Popescu-3
For camera access as an user see: /etc/fbtab (fBtab not fStab)

For easy streaming see: vlc from ports.

Be sure to use archive search next time.

Re: video capture / streaming

Jordan Geoghegan-3

On 2020-07-24 08:06, Rudolf Sykora wrote:

> Dear list,
>

> I'd like to stream video from my (usb-connected) camera via a web
> server. The 1st I tried was to see if the camera works. So:
>
> odin$ video
> video: /dev/video: Permission denied
> odin$ doas video
> No protocol specified
> video: cannot open display :0.0
> odin$ xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
> odin$ doas video
> ^Codin$
>
> Ie, at last I saw an X window with the video. But is it possible to run
> the video command as an ordinary user? (I had to doas...)
>
> Next I want to stream the video via some kind of a server.
> On the internet I saw people using 'ffmpeg' to serve the file somehow,
> as well as using 'nginx' with the 'rtmp' module. Is any of this the way
> how you would achieve the goal, or is it possible to use, say, the 'httpd'
> server?
>
> At this moment I know very little both about streaming and available
> servers to do the job, and that's why I am asking for recommendation
> based on some experience and knowledge.
>
> Thank you for any comments.
>

> Ruda

Hi Ruda,

You can configure FFmpeg to dump an HLS stream into a location served by
httpd. FFmpeg does support some USB cameras using the V4L2 protocol, but
you may need to play around with formats and resolutions to get the
optimal experience/performance. I've done this extensively, as I'm
currently working on a CCTV project that will run natively on OpenBSD.

Regards,

Jordan

Re: video capture / streaming

Rudolf Sykora-2
Hello,

Mihai Popescu <[hidden email]> writes:

> For camera access as an user see: /etc/fbtab (fBtab not fStab)

Is fbtab usable also in the case of login via xenodm? Into fbtab one
should enter the login device name (like /dev/ttyp1), but is there such
a thing when xlogin logs you in?

Thanks
Ruda