via vt6103 vlan support

Raja Subramanian-2
Hi All,

I'm planning to purchase a bunch of VIA EPIA boards that come
with onboard VIA VT6103 ethernet chips.  I want to setup vlan(4)
interfaces on this NIC and want to know if it works with obsd 3.9.

I would love to hear any feedback from someone who is using
these chips.  I'm especially interested in knowing if the NIC has
any VLAN MTU issues or if it's capable of using the default 1500
bytes on the vlan interfaces.

The vlan(4) man page does not mention this chip.  I googled, and
grepped through /usr/src/sys, but could not arrive at a conclusion.

Thanks in advance!

- Raja

Re: via vt6103 vlan support

Stuart Henderson
On 2006/05/22 05:39, Raja Subramanian wrote:
> The vlan(4) man page does not mention this chip.  I googled, and
> grepped through /usr/src/sys, but could not arrive at a conclusion.

"If the IFCAP_VLAN_MTU capability is set on a vlan parent, vlan assumes
that the Ethernet chip on the parent can handle oversized frames."

given the output of "grep IFCAP_VLAN_MTU /sys/dev/pci/* /sys/dev/ic/*",
I'd say probably not.... I haven't been really impressed by the vr
nics, you might want to choose cases that fit at least one PCI slot
so you have the option of fitting a riser and something like fxp(4)
or sk(4) for VLANs/heavier traffic etc in case you don't like the
vr(4). (pretty much any gigabit nic is likely to be acceptable -
OpenBSD supports most of them - but sk(4) out of preference).

Re: via vt6103 vlan support

Chris Cappuccio
Stuart Henderson [[hidden email]] wrote:
> On 2006/05/22 05:39, Raja Subramanian wrote:
> > The vlan(4) man page does not mention this chip.  I googled, and
> > grepped through /usr/src/sys, but could not arrive at a conclusion.
>
> "If the IFCAP_VLAN_MTU capability is set on a vlan parent, vlan assumes
> that the Ethernet chip on the parent can handle oversized frames."

Naturally, you are welcome to examine the programming manual for the Via
chip and accomodate reception of larger packet sizes.  Maybe you can
just set a higher MRU value in some register.  Or if it's like realtek,
it doesn't care about larger packet sizes and it just works out of the box.
You would know this if you set IFCAP_VLAN_MTU in the vr driver and
1500 byte packets come through with no further twiddling.

There is no certainty, there is only opportunity

data DVD mounting on OpenBSD 3.8

Martin Vahi
Hi

Could somebody please explain, how to mount a data DVD
on OpenBSD, version 3.8?

I have looked for this information at least 2 full
days(probably more), but weren't able to find anything that helps.

However, I have been able to write a data DVD
with the very same machine that I want to mount
it to, by using the very same
DVD-drive that I want to mount it with, and
the resultant DVD mounts perfectly on Windows.

I use the default kernel that came with the
OpenBSD 3.8 distribution.

Regards,
Martin Vahi

Re: data DVD mounting on OpenBSD 3.8

Bachman Kharazmi
I've not used dvd's with obsd myself, but I assume you've read
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#playDVD
AND the link about how to mount DVDs.
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=mount_cd9660&sektion=8

If the mount doesn't work, reply with error and the commands you ran.
/bkw

On 25/05/06, Martin Vahi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Could somebody please explain, how to mount a data DVD
> on OpenBSD, version 3.8?
>
> I have looked for this information at least 2 full
> days(probably more), but weren't able to find anything that helps.
>
> However, I have been able to write a data DVD
> with the very same machine that I want to mount
> it to, by using the very same
> DVD-drive that I want to mount it with, and
> the resultant DVD mounts perfectly on Windows.
>
> I use the default kernel that came with the
> OpenBSD 3.8 distribution.

Re: data DVD mounting on OpenBSD 3.8

Martin Vahi
> From [hidden email] Thu May 25 10:23:13 2006
> Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:13:45 +0200
> From: Bachman Kharazmi <[hidden email]>
>
> I've not used dvd's with obsd myself, but I assume you've read
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#playDVD
> AND the link about how to mount DVDs.
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=mount_cd9660&sektion=8
>
> If the mount doesn't work, reply with error and the commands you ran.

Unfortunately I have read those sources, but they were of no
help. Commands and their output after inserting a kind of
data DVD, which mounts on Windows, in to the DVD-RW-drive:

----verbatim--start------------------
# whoami
root
# ls -l /mnt/
total 12
drwxrwxrwx  2 root  wheel  512 May 12 07:37 CDROM
drwxrwxrwx  2 root  wheel  512 Mar 10 03:52 DVDROM
drwxrwxrwx  2 root  wheel  512 Feb 27 13:49 M2luFlopi
# mount_cd9660 -e /dev/rcd0c /mnt/DVDROM/
mount_cd9660: /dev/rcd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Block device required
# ls -l /dev/*dvd*
ls: /dev/*dvd*: No such file or directory
# mount -a /dev/rcd0c /mnt/DVDROM/
mount_ffs: /dev/rcd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Block device required
# ls -l /dev/*cd0*
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   0 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0a
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   1 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0b
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   2 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0c
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   3 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0d
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   4 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0e
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   5 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0f
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   6 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0g
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   7 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0h
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   8 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0i
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,   9 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0j
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,  10 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0k
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,  11 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0l
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,  12 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0m
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,  13 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0n
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,  14 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0o
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   16,  15 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/ccd0p
br--rw-rw-  1 root  operator    6,   0 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/cd0a
brw-------  1 root  operator    6,   2 Apr  9 05:00 /dev/cd0c
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    7,   0 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/mcd0a
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    7,   2 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/mcd0c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   0 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0a
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   1 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0b
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   2 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   3 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0d
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   4 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0e
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   5 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0f
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   6 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0g
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   7 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0h
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   8 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0i
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,   9 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0j
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,  10 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0k
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,  11 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0l
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,  12 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0m
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,  13 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0n
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,  14 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0o
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   18,  15 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rccd0p
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel         1024 Apr  9 05:40 /dev/rcd0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   15,   0 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rcd0a
crw-r--r--  1 root  operator   15,   2 Apr  9 05:40 /dev/rcd0c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   39,   0 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rmcd0a
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   39,   2 Feb 27 06:20 /dev/rmcd0c
# mount_cd9660 -e /dev/rccd0c /mnt/DVDROM/
mount_cd9660: /dev/rccd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Block device required
# mount_cd9660 -e /dev/cd0c /mnt/DVDROM/
mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Invalid argument
# mount_cd9660 -e /dev/mcd0c /mnt/DVDROM/
mount_cd9660: /dev/mcd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Device not configured
# mount_cd9660 -e /dev/rmcd0c /mnt/DVDROM/
mount_cd9660: /dev/rmcd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Block device required
# mount_cd9660 -e /dev/ccd0c /mnt/DVDROM/
mount_cd9660: /dev/ccd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Device not configured
----verbatim--end--------------------

The "type" of the writeable DVD is "DVD+R".

Regards,
Martin Vahi

On 2006/05/31 23:14, Martin Vahi wrote:
> mount_cd9660: /dev/rccd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Block device required
> mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Invalid argument
> mount_cd9660: /dev/mcd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Device not configured
> mount_cd9660: /dev/rmcd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Block device required
> mount_cd9660: /dev/ccd0c on /mnt/DVDROM: Device not configured

Look at the error messages, the ones for the devices
starting with an r (raw devices) say "Block device required".
The ones for devices not present on your system say, "Device
not configured". And there's one different message, for cd0c.

Or, look at cd(4) i.e. 'man 4 cd', ccd(4), mcd(4), and see
which you think is most likely.

Hopefully that has got you looking more closely at cd0;
what else could you try? Are you mounting the correct
partition? Note what cd(4) says about disklabel.