/var/www/foo versus /var/www/htdocs/foo ?

/var/www/foo versus /var/www/htdocs/foo ?

Uwe Dippel
probably a stupid one, but that's me, then:
some applications (wordpress, phpmyadmin) put their files into
/var/www/foo and symlink to these dir from /var/www/htdocs/ to ../foo.

Is this elegance or anything on security ?

Thanks for some help here,

Uwe

Re: /var/www/foo versus /var/www/htdocs/foo ?

Antoine Jacoutot
Selon Uwe Dippel <[hidden email]>:

> probably a stupid one, but that's me, then:
> some applications (wordpress, phpmyadmin) put their files into
> /var/www/foo and symlink to these dir from /var/www/htdocs/ to ../foo.

You don't _have_ to link files.
You can use the Alias directive in your httpd.conf.

Alias /phpmyadmin/ /var/www/phpmyadmin/

Antoine

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:00:33 +0000, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:

> You don't _have_ to link files.
> You can use the Alias directive in your httpd.conf.
>
> Alias /phpmyadmin/ /var/www/phpmyadmin/

All clear. Only my original question was pointing into another
corner: Why link / alias instead of just putting the files there ?
Is there any *security* improvement through moving the files out of
/htdocs/ respectively /users/ ?

Uwe

Re: /var/www/foo versus /var/www/htdocs/foo ?

f.holop
hmm, on Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:08:59PM +0800, Uwe Dippel said that
> All clear. Only my original question was pointing into another
> corner: Why link / alias instead of just putting the files there ?
> Is there any *security* improvement through moving the files out of
> /htdocs/ respectively /users/ ?

e.g.
/var/www and /var/www/htdocs might have different owners sometimes

-f
it is better to be hated than to be ignored.

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:36:12 +0100, frantisek holop wrote:

> /var/www and /var/www/htdocs might have different owners sometimes

Sure. So as of now I take it that my earlier suspicion of 'elegance' kicks
in. I never doubted the way it is done, and from your answer I take it
that putting the files further down does not have a generic security
(dis)advantage.

Thanks for all answers,

Uwe