user directory and wheel group

Isimsiz
hello @misc!
Kinda simple question here, but didnt fount any answer.
After fresh install i've created new user, added to 'wheel' group.
But /home/user/ direstory and everything in it has "user:user" owner, but
shouldnt it be like "user:wheel" instead?
sorry for bad english, hope for some help

Re: user directory and wheel group

Maurice McCarthy-3
On 15/06/18 20:52, Asbel Kiprop wrote:
> hello @misc!
> Kinda simple question here, but didnt fount any answer.
> After fresh install i've created new user, added to 'wheel' group.
> But /home/user/ direstory and everything in it has "user:user" owner, but
> shouldnt it be like "user:wheel" instead?
> sorry for bad english, hope for some help

No, no!

$ useradd -D
group           =uid
base_dir        /home
skel_dir        /etc/skel
shell           /bin/ksh
class
inactive        Null (unset)
expire          Null (unset)
range           1000..60000

The wheel group is a secondary group for the user.
Read man 8 useradd

Re: user directory and wheel group

Isimsiz
Sooo, current behaviour when i have everything in /home/ with
"myuser:myuser" ownership and "wheel:*:0:root, myuser" in /etc/group  the
correct one?

That is correct.

On 2018-06-15, Asbel Kiprop <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sooo, current behaviour when i have everything in /home/ with
> "myuser:myuser" ownership and "wheel:*:0:root, myuser" in /etc/group  the
> correct one?

That's one common way. As for whether it's "correct", that depends how
you want to administer your system.

One thing to be aware of is the not-very-well-known restriction that one
user can be in a maximum of 16 groups.  If you're using the "uid=gid"
scheme and have some admin users that you want to add to the primary
group for a bunch of users, you'll soon run out.

On 15/06/18 21:42, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2018-06-15, Asbel Kiprop <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sooo, current behaviour when i have everything in /home/ with
> > "myuser:myuser" ownership and "wheel:*:0:root, myuser" in /etc/group  the
> > correct one?
>
> That's one common way. As for whether it's "correct", that depends how
> you want to administer your system.
>
> One thing to be aware of is the not-very-well-known restriction that one
> user can be in a maximum of 16 groups.  If you're using the "uid=gid"
> scheme and have some admin users that you want to add to the primary
> group for a bunch of users, you'll soon run out.

Thanks Stuart. I wasn't aware of that restriction.

Re: user directory and wheel group

andrew fabbro
On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 2:42 PM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> One thing to be aware of is the not-very-well-known restriction that one
> user can be in a maximum of 16 groups.

If memory serves, this limitation derives from an nfs limitation.

--
andrew fabbro
[hidden email]