user/5009: rdist @notify broken?

Matthew S Elmore-2
>Number:         5009
>Category:       user
>Synopsis:       rdist notify feature broken
>Confidential:   yes
>Severity:       non-critical
I am using rdist (with ssh as the transport) to update files from one
machine to another.

This works fine, except that it does not send the notify message once it is
complete. When running rdist from the command line, it hangs here:

$ sudo rdist -o remove -f /etc/Distfile.notifytest
testhost: updating host testhost
testhost: notify @testhost ( [hidden email] )

(obviously I swapped out users and hosts for this mail)

When this happens I see sendmail in the process list:
11497 p0  I+      0:00.02 /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t

But the mail never sends.

>How-To-Repeat:
Here is the distfile used to produce the problem:

HOSTS = ( testhost )
FILES = (
        /etc/resolv.conf
        )