use tablet interface under vm running linux

use tablet interface under vm running linux

rsykora
Dear list,

I am running OpenBSD desktop, but I need to use my usb-connected
tablet wacom Intuos3, which, under OpenBSD, cannot be used together
with pressure sensitivity.

Thus, I thought I could install, say, Alpine linux under vm, and
use the tablet via linux. I have Alpine running in vm now. But
I don't know how to make the tablet accessible to the linux, so that
the requested functionality would be available (i.e., probably use
drivers from linux for the tablet).

Can anybody help or make any comments?
Thanks!

Ruda

Re: use tablet interface under vm running linux

Stuart Henderson
On 2018-12-04, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am running OpenBSD desktop, but I need to use my usb-connected
> tablet wacom Intuos3, which, under OpenBSD, cannot be used together
> with pressure sensitivity.
>
> Thus, I thought I could install, say, Alpine linux under vm, and
> use the tablet via linux. I have Alpine running in vm now. But
> I don't know how to make the tablet accessible to the linux, so that
> the requested functionality would be available (i.e., probably use
> drivers from linux for the tablet).
>
> Can anybody help or make any comments?
> Thanks!
>
> Ruda

You would need some kind of device passthrough for this approach
to work, but vmd doesn't support that, and adding that is probably
much trickier than improving usbtablet(4).

December 4, 2018 9:18 PM, "Stuart Henderson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-12-04, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I am running OpenBSD desktop, but I need to use my usb-connected
>> tablet wacom Intuos3, which, under OpenBSD, cannot be used together
>> with pressure sensitivity.
>>
>> Thus, I thought I could install, say, Alpine linux under vm, and
>> use the tablet via linux. I have Alpine running in vm now. But
>> I don't know how to make the tablet accessible to the linux, so that
>> the requested functionality would be available (i.e., probably use
>> drivers from linux for the tablet).
>>
>> Can anybody help or make any comments?
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ruda
>
> You would need some kind of device passthrough for this approach
> to work, but vmd doesn't support that, and adding that is probably
> much trickier than improving usbtablet(4).

Ok, thanks for the answer, though negative!
I may try at one point to look at usbtablet, but at the moment
it's beyond my reach.

Thanks
Ruda