usb peripheral device support

dfeustel
I have been looking for webcams to use with openbsd.
Am I correct in assuming that cameras which require
their own drivers cannot be used with openbsd even
if I had the source for the drivers unless the driver
code were added to the openbsd kernel?

So, assuming my assumption is correct,
I am restricting my search to webcams with an
ethernet interface and a builtin webserver. I have
found one such camera at Hawkingtech.com. Does
anyone recommend any other ethernet-interfaced
webcams?

Thanks,
Dave Feustel

Dave Feustel
http://www.mindspring.com/~dfeustel

Re: usb peripheral device support

Joachim Schipper
On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:16:44AM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:

> I have been looking for webcams to use with openbsd.
> Am I correct in assuming that cameras which require
> their own drivers cannot be used with openbsd even
> if I had the source for the drivers unless the driver
> code were added to the openbsd kernel?
>
> So, assuming my assumption is correct,
> I am restricting my search to webcams with an
> ethernet interface and a builtin webserver. I have
> found one such camera at Hawkingtech.com. Does
> anyone recommend any other ethernet-interfaced
> webcams?

Without even looking at that webcam, I'd venture a guess that there are
many closed-source, proprietary-protocol Ethernet webcams.

                Joachim

Re: usb peripheral device support

Johan SANCHEZ
Hi
> I have been looking for webcams to use with openbsd.
> Am I correct in assuming that cameras which require
> their own drivers cannot be used with openbsd even
> if I had the source for the drivers unless the driver
> code were added to the openbsd kernel?

that is a webcam and it is driven by your computer
just as any other usb device  ...

> So, assuming my assumption is correct,
> I am restricting my search to webcams with an
> ethernet interface and a builtin webserver.

That is a networked cam driven itself but... some require
activex to control the cam ...

> I have
> found one such camera at Hawkingtech.com. Does
> anyone recommend any other ethernet-interfaced
> webcams?

...some others don't : http://www.axis.com
that's what i use .

cheers

~~~~~~
                         http://www.chatou-informatic.com
        Maintenance, infogerance, interventions sur site, telemaintenance