usb ioctl returns wrong information

Andreas Jellinghaus-2
ioctl(controller_fd, USB_DEVICEINFO, &device_info)
returns information about each usb device for an usb controller.
that information includes the device name as field
        device_info.udi_devnames[0]

so, I expect that I can use that string, prepend /dev/, pass it
to some other program, and that program thus has the filename
to open if it wants to talk to that specific device.

on other BSD that works fine. on OpenBSD it does not,
as you return "ugen0" i.e. the device name of the usb controller,
and not "ugen0.00" i.e. the device name of the device I got using
the ioctl.

please check the code and return the name of the actual device
I got information about, or please let me know how else I can
get that information.

I got this information debugging openct with a user using OpenBSD
snapshot GENERIC#200 on an x86 system.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Andreas

Re: usb ioctl returns wrong information

Michael Shalayeff-2
On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 02:57:17PM +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> ioctl(controller_fd, USB_DEVICEINFO, &device_info)
> returns information about each usb device for an usb controller.
> that information includes the device name as field
> device_info.udi_devnames[0]
>
> so, I expect that I can use that string, prepend /dev/, pass it
> to some other program, and that program thus has the filename
> to open if it wants to talk to that specific device.
>
> on other BSD that works fine. on OpenBSD it does not,
> as you return "ugen0" i.e. the device name of the usb controller,
> and not "ugen0.00" i.e. the device name of the device I got using
> the ioctl.

the problem is that driver does not have a clue which .NN you want
to use. some devices use also smth else but only .00 such as .03
or .01 or anything else...

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)