upgrade 6.6 -> 6.7

Infoomatic
Hi,

just for info: Upgrading from 6.6 to 6.7 worked without flaws on my
OpenBSD VMs on Linux/KVM and FreeBSD/bhyve hypervisors! 6.7 feels faster
and snappier! Thanks to you all for your hard work!

Regards,

infoomatic

Re: upgrade 6.6 -> 6.7

Ottavio Caruso
On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 17:39, infoomatic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just for info: Upgrading from 6.6 to 6.7 worked without flaws on my
> OpenBSD VMs on Linux/KVM and FreeBSD/bhyve hypervisors! 6.7 feels faster
> and snappier! Thanks to you all for your hard work!

You might want to share how you did it. bsd.rd, sysupgrade, manual upgrade?

Ottavio Caruso

Re: upgrade 6.6 -> 6.7

Selveste1
Did the same on my edge firewalls two days ago, with sysupgrade.

It just works flawlessly!

--
Med Venlig Hilsen / Best Regards
Henrik Krysteli Semark

On 19 May 2020 21.25, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 17:39, infoomatic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just for info: Upgrading from 6.6 to 6.7 worked without flaws on my
>> OpenBSD VMs on Linux/KVM and FreeBSD/bhyve hypervisors! 6.7 feels faster
>> and snappier! Thanks to you all for your hard work!
> You might want to share how you did it. bsd.rd, sysupgrade, manual upgrade?

Re: upgrade 6.6 -> 6.7

Infoomatic

yes of course! All systems are running amd64 with 768MB or 1GB ram, I
used sysupgrade to upgrade.

The tool works, however, a short notice before rebooting would be nice.
The last thing I saw was upgrading the firmware, then the ssh-connection
stalled (system rebooted). After the upgrade I just thought: wow, that
was fast!

Linux/KVM was straight forward, "like on real hardware".

FreeBSD/bhyve virtualization technology basically uses 2 components: the
bootloader and the hypervisor.

It needs some manual steps (using bhyve-grub as bootloader):

*) sysupgrade -n, then shutdown

*) vm.conf usually has a line like 'grub_run0="kopenbsd -h com0 -r sd0a
/bsd"' - use /bsd.upgrade instead of /bsd - this can also be configured
in grub boot menu

*) Upgrade finishes and reboots again automatically, so in grub use /bsd
again. Using the vm.conf method you need to force the shutdown because
the system is trying to boot /bsd.upgrade again which of course
vanished. (so use /bsd in vm.conf again and start the vm)

So for manual upgrade editing the boot config in grub menu is simple, if
you do automated upgrades going via the vm.conf stuff might be preferable.

Regards,

infoomatic

On 19.05.20 21:25, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> You might want to share how you did it. bsd.rd, sysupgrade, manual
> upgrade?

Re: [SPAM] Re: upgrade 6.6 -> 6.7

nothingness

On 20/05/2020 10:24, infoomatic wrote:

> FreeBSD/bhyve virtualization technology basically uses 2 components: the
> bootloader and the hypervisor.
>
> It needs some manual steps (using bhyve-grub as bootloader):
>
> *) sysupgrade -n, then shutdown
>
> *) vm.conf usually has a line like 'grub_run0="kopenbsd -h com0 -r sd0a
> /bsd"' - use /bsd.upgrade instead of /bsd - this can also be configured
> in grub boot menu
>
> *) Upgrade finishes and reboots again automatically, so in grub use /bsd
> again. Using the vm.conf method you need to force the shutdown because
> the system is trying to boot /bsd.upgrade again which of course
> vanished. (so use /bsd in vm.conf again and start the vm)
>

> So for manual upgrade editing the boot config in grub menu is simple, if
> you do automated upgrades going via the vm.conf stuff might be preferable.

Or you might want to upgrade your bhyve config to using uefi as the
bootloader, so none of these extra steps are needed. Made for flawless
upgrade with sysupgrade for me.

Cheers,

Noth

Re: upgrade 6.6 -> 6.7

Kapetanakis Giannis
On 20/05/2020 11:23, Henrik Krysteli Semark wrote:
> Did the same on my edge firewalls two days ago, with sysupgrade.
>
> It just works flawlessly!

+1