update of free wireless cards?

Pau Amaro-Seoane-3
Hi,

I am about to but a second hand thinkpad x40 which looks pretty good
_and_ has APM support (!!). Of course OpenBSD will be installed on it.

Now, the German ebayer is a nice person and I can actually choose
what's going to be the wireless card!

Until now I have only tried intel chips, so that you have to install
the firmware and everything is working fine. But if I can choose, I'd
like to have a 100% blob-less system. And also to show the vendors
that they have a public!

I have been googling, clustying and reading man pages to find a recent
update of the list of wireless cards which would fulfill this and I
have found out that the wireless devices that either do not require
firmware, or that have runtime firmware that OpenBSD is allowed to
distribute are:

* atu (4) - Atmel AT76C50x USB IEEE 802.11b wireless network device
* ral (4) - Ralink Technology IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless network device
(2nd gen 802.11 Ralink)
* rum (4) - Ralink Technology USB IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless network device
* zyd (4) - Zydas ZD1211 USB IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network device

Is this the whole list of "blob-less" devices?

And another question: How do these devices compare to the intel pro
ones? Are they as powerful?

Thanks for your attention...

Re: update of free wireless cards?

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
"Vim Visual" <[hidden email]> writes:

> And another question: How do these devices compare to the intel pro
> ones? Are they as powerful?

I have both ral and rum devices here, and we're quite happy with
them.  In my experience at least they are quite reliable.  They are
rather inexpensive too, the USB versions can can usually be had for 50
euros or less, mini-PCIs even less.

Since you mention Intel parts, wpi in my Thinkpad R60 has a tendency
to almost, but not quite, resetting it self at apparently random
intervals, losing the link.  Nothing that can't be handled with a new
ifconfig up mumble plus dhclient mumble, and the recent revisions in
-current is noticeably better, but still a bit irritating.  I was at
the point of considering some minor surgery on the Thinkpad to put a
rum mini-pci in there instead, but the Damien Bergamini did some magic
which made the wpi behave a little better.

- P

http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/ http://www.datadok.no/ http://www.nuug.no/

Re: update of free wireless cards?

Pau Amaro-Seoane-3
Hi Peter,

> I have both ral and rum devices here, and we're quite happy with
> them.  In my experience at least they are quite reliable.  They are
> rather inexpensive too, the USB versions can can usually be had for 50
> euros or less, mini-PCIs even less.

Ops, sorry, I was meaning internal devices! I am looking for an
internal wireless card.

> Since you mention Intel parts, wpi in my Thinkpad R60 has a tendency
> to almost, but not quite, resetting it self at apparently random
> intervals, losing the link.  Nothing that can't be handled with a new
> ifconfig up mumble plus dhclient mumble, and the recent revisions in
> -current is noticeably better, but still a bit irritating.

yes, I also have observed this behaviour in some machines... it's
indeed irritating!

> I was at
> the point of considering some minor surgery on the Thinkpad to put a
> rum mini-pci in there instead, but the Damien Bergamini did some magic
> which made the wpi behave a little better.

iwi is not that lucky, I think... but I should shut up because I have
not check it in detail

Thanks for your comments

Pau

Re: update of free wireless cards?

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
"Vim Visual" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ops, sorry, I was meaning internal devices! I am looking for an
> internal wireless card.

the ordinary PCI bus versions are about the same price or slightly cheaper.