unofficial arm packages

Philip Cheney
arm list,

Since it looks like arm packages won't be provided for the foreseeable future, I've put together a little build cluster to make them for my own use. Since building ports can be problematic on embedded systems, I'd like to share the packages that I'm building with anyone who is incapable of building their own.

There is obviously a big trust issue to consider here. I'm not associated with OpenBSD, so the packages that I'm building aren't in any way endorsed or supported by the OpenBSD team. The packages are signed by a signify key that is signed by me, but you obviously don't know who I am. (If you'd like to grab a beer sometime and meet with me, I'm in Denver, Colorado.)

Building ports on bare metal arm is very slow, so it will take a while to fill out the entire tree. I'll keep adding nodes to the cluster as I can because it's fun and I'm enjoying it, but I can't make any guarantees about the rate at which the build progresses. If you're interested in a package that hasn't yet built, I can bump it to the front of the queue.

I'm playing around with emulating arm on my university's HPC cluster, but qemu's arm emulation is a bit flaky at the moment. (For reference, FreeBSD builds arm packages using qemu user mode, which doesn't work well on systems that aren't entirely yours.) I'll keep playing with it, though, and try it on a beefy system of my own to see if that's adequate.

The packages that I've finished to date are available at ftp://ftp.packwidth.net/pub/OpenBSD/5.7/packages/arm <ftp://ftp.packwidth.net/pub/OpenBSD/5.7/packages/arm>. The signify key below needs to be added to /etc/signify to install them. My PGP key is available from most keyservers, DNS CERT, keybase.io, etc. My internet connection isn't the fastest, so if anybody wants to mirror these, feel free.

If anybody has any feedback or concerns, I'm all ears. In the future, I'd really like to see packages officially provided, so I'll keep everybody informed of build issues and such.

Cheers,
Philip Cheney

Re: unofficial arm packages

Edwin Amsler
Thanks for stepping up sir!

I'm very interested in your Qemu progress. Keep us updated if you can find the time.

--
Edwin (on the move)