undeadly article

Re: undeadly article

j4nKy
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:28:57PM +0300, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My post was not intended as a direct hit for the article. I told my
> opinion to misc@ because undeadly ask for subscription, no more
> anonymous coward post. Am I wrong ?
>
> I target airport behaviour with my comment. I use the airport for 6
> flight until now, no problem at all with security teams. I was quick
> and polite in answers and the time with them was short. Most of them
> have the "nose" to see what they are dealing with.

bullshit.  sorry, but that is not true.

I regularly get picked on by "authority", but it's alwasy just been
a pointless hassle.  I'll never forget the time a cop stopped me
in my own neighborhood, in the rain, for walking against a signal,
when his car was the only moving vehicle within a half mile.  the
best part was when he dropped his papers in a puddle.

> If you start
> playing, they will answer accordingly, not because you look like a
> suspect, it is more like an answer.

the only playing was their own game.  after all, it is they who
choose to start the games.

> Have fun ! (but not in sensible areas).

but see, if authority can't take that you're laughing because their
questions and assumptions *really are* ridiculous ...

the lady in the office where jcr was "held" when we met him was
in charge of the place.  and it's clear why she was in charge.
she was sharp and no-nonsense.  of course, you want such people
in charge of such places.

even after we got out of that office I still had to deal with
another person who inspected my bags.  with this uy though, I
shared a good laugh, even though he was pretty thorough.

Re: undeadly article

J.C. Roberts-4
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:28:57 +0300 "Mihai Popescu B.S."
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like the humour on undeadly, but this article was not for me. I saw
> a guy who was tried to get as more attention as he can.

Mihai,

You still don't understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

In writing, I had the choice between complaining about all of my time
wasted by the various security people, or joking about how much time I
could waste. The latter is called sarcasm. It's no different than
joking about the sun being too bright at night (hint: the sun doesn't
shine at night).

        jcr

The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org

Re: undeadly article

Noah Pugsley
J.C. Roberts wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:28:57 +0300 "Mihai Popescu B.S."
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I like the humour on undeadly, but this article was not for me. I saw
>> a guy who was tried to get as more attention as he can.
>
> Mihai,
>
> You still don't understand.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
>
> In writing, I had the choice between complaining about all of my time
> wasted by the various security people, or joking about how much time I
> could waste. The latter is called sarcasm. It's no different than
> joking about the sun being too bright at night (hint: the sun doesn't
> shine at night).
>
> jcr
>
> --
> The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org

I thought the writeups from jcr were great. A little lighter and more
fun than the usual fare. To be honest, if I had to choose between them
and the developer interviews I choose developer interviews. But they are
a welcome supplement for sure. I hope they continue.

Re: undeadly article

J.C. Roberts-4
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:21:19 -0700 Noah Pugsley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I thought the writeups from jcr were great. A little lighter and more
> fun than the usual fare. To be honest, if I had to choose between
> them and the developer interviews I choose developer interviews. But
> they are a welcome supplement for sure. I hope they continue.

mtu@ and I are working on the individual developer interview articles.
There's a lot of them, so it will take some time, but we'll publish
them as we get them completed.

        jcr

The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org

Re: undeadly article

a.velichinsky
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 07:30:55PM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:
> jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to travel
> much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and their inner
> workings.

There was enough bigotry and condescension on this list.

There was no need to import some more from the Eastern Europe.

Re: undeadly article

Tony Abernethy
Personally, I liked the article.
Small change in perspective changes an ordeal into an adventure.

Jacob Meuser wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:28:57PM +0300, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > My post was not intended as a direct hit for the article. I told my
> > opinion to misc@ because undeadly ask for subscription, no more
> > anonymous coward post. Am I wrong ?
> >
> > I target airport behaviour with my comment. I use the airport for 6
> > flight until now, no problem at all with security teams. I was quick
> > and polite in answers and the time with them was short. Most of them
> > have the "nose" to see what they are dealing with.
>
> bullshit.  sorry, but that is not true.
"Smart" security will inevitably outsmart itself.
Add respect to polite in the brew.
He inspects you. You inspect him. You respect each other. Works better.

> I regularly get picked on by "authority", but it's alwasy just been
> a pointless hassle.  I'll never forget the time a cop stopped me
> in my own neighborhood, in the rain, for walking against a signal,
> when his car was the only moving vehicle within a half mile.  the
> best part was when he dropped his papers in a puddle.
>
> > If you start
> > playing, they will answer accordingly, not because you look like a
> > suspect, it is more like an answer.
>
> the only playing was their own game.  after all, it is they who
> choose to start the games.
If they are wasting your time they will keep it up.
If you are wasting their time they will drop you in a hurry.
The best tactic is when you are obviously suppressing a laugh.

> > Have fun ! (but not in sensible areas).
>
> but see, if authority can't take that you're laughing because their
> questions and assumptions *really are* ridiculous ...
>
> the lady in the office where jcr was "held" when we met him was
> in charge of the place.  and it's clear why she was in charge.
> she was sharp and no-nonsense.  of course, you want such people
> in charge of such places.
>
> even after we got out of that office I still had to deal with
> another person who inspected my bags.  with this uy though, I
> shared a good laugh, even though he was pretty thorough.
Watch how a person laughs. Even more a window into the soul than the eyes.
Customs tends to be sharper than security.
They probably do have a sense of humor,
but it is never shared with "outsiders".

Re: undeadly article

Noah Pugsley
J.C. Roberts wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:21:19 -0700 Noah Pugsley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I thought the writeups from jcr were great. A little lighter and more
>> fun than the usual fare. To be honest, if I had to choose between
>> them and the developer interviews I choose developer interviews. But
>> they are a welcome supplement for sure. I hope they continue.
>
> mtu@ and I are working on the individual developer interview articles.
> There's a lot of them, so it will take some time, but we'll publish
> them as we get them completed.
>
> jcr
>
> --
> The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org

Oh of course. I completely understand. Hope that didn't sound like a
complaint. I'm thankful for how fast they've been coming so far.

Anyway.

Re: undeadly article

Christian Weisgerber
Mihai Popescu B.S. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I target airport behaviour with my comment. I use the airport for 6
> flight until now, no problem at all with security teams. I was quick
> and polite in answers and the time with them was short. Most of them
> have the "nose" to see what they are dealing with.

The only security personnel with a good nose are those cute little
dogs that smell out apples and other food items you are not allowed
to bring into the country.

Re: undeadly article

j4nKy
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:39:30PM -0400, Tony Abernethy wrote:

> Personally, I liked the article.
> Small change in perspective changes an ordeal into an adventure.
>
> Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:28:57PM +0300, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > My post was not intended as a direct hit for the article. I told my
> > > opinion to misc@ because undeadly ask for subscription, no more
> > > anonymous coward post. Am I wrong ?
> > >
> > > I target airport behaviour with my comment. I use the airport for 6
> > > flight until now, no problem at all with security teams. I was quick
> > > and polite in answers and the time with them was short. Most of them
> > > have the "nose" to see what they are dealing with.
> >
> > bullshit.  sorry, but that is not true.
> "Smart" security will inevitably outsmart itself.
> Add respect to polite in the brew.
> He inspects you. You inspect him. You respect each other. Works better.

sure.  I am always very polite wih "authority".  there was never any
disrespect put out by me.  as I said, I *want* these people to do
a good job.  they've got good people, it's the things/ways they
are/aren't taught that is the problem.

> > I regularly get picked on by "authority", but it's alwasy just been
> > a pointless hassle.  I'll never forget the time a cop stopped me
> > in my own neighborhood, in the rain, for walking against a signal,
> > when his car was the only moving vehicle within a half mile.  the
> > best part was when he dropped his papers in a puddle.
> >
> > > If you start
> > > playing, they will answer accordingly, not because you look like a
> > > suspect, it is more like an answer.
> >
> > the only playing was their own game.  after all, it is they who
> > choose to start the games.
> If they are wasting your time they will keep it up.
> If you are wasting their time they will drop you in a hurry.
> The best tactic is when you are obviously suppressing a laugh.

well, they held us there, for nothing but having more than one laptop
and looking like a poor hippie.  I didn't care, I figured it was all
going to happen anyway.  but maybe while they were busy with us, they
were letting some slick and polite well dressed one laptop carrying
creep go who they should have looked at closer?  who knows.

> > > Have fun ! (but not in sensible areas).
> >
> > but see, if authority can't take that you're laughing because their
> > questions and assumptions *really are* ridiculous ...
> >
> > the lady in the office where jcr was "held" when we met him was
> > in charge of the place.  and it's clear why she was in charge.
> > she was sharp and no-nonsense.  of course, you want such people
> > in charge of such places.
> >
> > even after we got out of that office I still had to deal with
> > another person who inspected my bags.  with this uy though, I
> > shared a good laugh, even though he was pretty thorough.
> Watch how a person laughs. Even more a window into the soul than the eyes.
> Customs tends to be sharper than security.
> They probably do have a sense of humor,
> but it is never shared with "outsiders".
>

> > --
> > [hidden email]
> > SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

Re: undeadly article

Marco Peereboom
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:42:11PM +0000, Jacob Meuser wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:39:30PM -0400, Tony Abernethy wrote:
> > Personally, I liked the article.
> > Small change in perspective changes an ordeal into an adventure.
> >
> > Jacob Meuser wrote:

> > > bullshit.  sorry, but that is not true.
> > "Smart" security will inevitably outsmart itself.
> > Add respect to polite in the brew.
> > He inspects you. You inspect him. You respect each other. Works better.
>
> sure.  I am always very polite wih "authority".  there was never any
> disrespect put out by me.  as I said, I *want* these people to do
> a good job.  they've got good people, it's the things/ways they
> are/aren't taught that is the problem.
>

> > > I regularly get picked on by "authority", but it's alwasy just been
> > > a pointless hassle.  I'll never forget the time a cop stopped me
> > > in my own neighborhood, in the rain, for walking against a signal,
> > > when his car was the only moving vehicle within a half mile.  the
> > > best part was when he dropped his papers in a puddle.

> > > the only playing was their own game.  after all, it is they who
> > > choose to start the games.
> > If they are wasting your time they will keep it up.
> > If you are wasting their time they will drop you in a hurry.
> > The best tactic is when you are obviously suppressing a laugh.
>
> well, they held us there, for nothing but having more than one laptop
> and looking like a poor hippie.  I didn't care, I figured it was all
> going to happen anyway.  but maybe while they were busy with us, they
> were letting some slick and polite well dressed one laptop carrying
> creep go who they should have looked at closer?  who knows.

That would have been me.  Enjoy the contraband chili boys.

> > > but see, if authority can't take that you're laughing because their
> > > questions and assumptions *really are* ridiculous ...
> > >
> > > the lady in the office where jcr was "held" when we met him was
> > > in charge of the place.  and it's clear why she was in charge.
> > > she was sharp and no-nonsense.  of course, you want such people
> > > in charge of such places.
> > >
> > > even after we got out of that office I still had to deal with
> > > another person who inspected my bags.  with this uy though, I
> > > shared a good laugh, even though he was pretty thorough.
> > Watch how a person laughs. Even more a window into the soul than the eyes.
> > Customs tends to be sharper than security.
> > They probably do have a sense of humor,
> > but it is never shared with "outsiders".
> >

> > > --
> > > [hidden email]
> > > SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

Re: undeadly article

SJP Lists
On 18 August 2010 23:57, Jacob Meuser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:28:57PM +0300, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My post was not intended as a direct hit for the article. I told my
>> opinion to misc@ because undeadly ask for subscription, no more
>> anonymous coward post. Am I wrong ?
>>
>> I target airport behaviour with my comment. I use the airport for 6
>> flight until now, no problem at all with security teams. I was quick
>> and polite in answers and the time with them was short. Most of them
>> have the "nose" to see what they are dealing with.
>
> bullshit.  sorry, but that is not true.
>
> I regularly get picked on by "authority", but it's alwasy just been
> a pointless hassle.  I'll never forget the time a cop stopped me
> in my own neighborhood, in the rain, for walking against a signal,
> when his car was the only moving vehicle within a half mile.  the
> best part was when he dropped his papers in a puddle.

Flying from Melbourne to Sydney, at the Qantas baggage scanner I was
very sternly challenged as to what exactly an item was on my keyring
(a rubber Corsair Flash Voyager GT 16GB thumbdrive).  Before I could
answer, she said "is this an MP3 player!?", as if it was a crime.
"No, it's a thumb drive storage device", "oh okay then".

Seriously.  I'd hate it to have been one of the new Corsair Padlock2
drives, complete with number pads and blinken lights that blinken with
key presses without the need for power from a computer.  I'm sure it
would have been taken for a wireless detonation device.

Then when I carry on lots of explosives (spare Li-ion laptop batteries
on account that we can't courier them any more with laptops between
offices!), nobody blinks an eye!  Even though I now know that I had
too many of them.

Shane

Re: undeadly article

Mihai Popescu B.S.
Hello,

Here is my last post to this thread. No time to argue out of the
subject. My point is it is safer not to hurt yourself, in this case is
safer to avoid unnecessary conflicts and treatments on the airport.
Why ? The worst thing it can happen in this situation is  .... well,
you are held there and you can't reach anymore the hackathon meeting.
So nice.

I was drive to open this thread by the memory of another case with
someone from open source. My intention was not to judge people  ( J.C.
vs. R) but behaviours.

So J.C. of course you are others are free to do and write whatever you
like, but I think your scenario was set up from home. I know what
sarcasm is, please avoid using wikipedia as a reference, it looks not
so nice.
Here are a few translations of my own for local humour, here in
Eastern Europe ( no hints included : )

" You do not put a flea on a white paper. "
" You do not wear a towel on your head if you don't have a headache."

No hate involved from my side.

Re: undeadly article

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Mihai Popescu B.S. <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is my last post to this thread. No time to argue out of the
> subject. My point is it is safer not to hurt yourself, in this case is
> safer to avoid unnecessary conflicts and treatments on the airport.
> Why ? The worst thing it can happen in this situation is B .... well,
> you are held there and you can't reach anymore the hackathon meeting.
> So nice.

So it's better to be shut up and threat myself without reason from
official authorities just because they don't know anything about
security? It's so "eastern europeanish". I thought that those times
are behind us after end of CCCP, RVHP and similar "friendly"
partnerships in our region. And I thought that people like we with
"practice" with similar regime can know much more better how stupid
are all those security checks on airports, HADOPI, monitoring of
calls/sms and similar "clever" solutions.

> I was drive to open this thread by the memory of another case with
> someone from open source. My intention was not to judge people B ( J.C.
> vs. R) but behaviours.

Case with RMS was completely different. RMS was angry on mostly
everyone around. JCR was ok, but he just tries to describe stupidity
in funny way in one of internet magazines.

> So J.C. of course you are others are free to do and write whatever you
> like, but I think your scenario was set up from home. I know what
> sarcasm is, please avoid using wikipedia as a reference, it looks not
> so nice.
> Here are a few translations of my own for local humour, here in
> Eastern Europe ( no hints included : )
>
> " You do not put a flea on a white paper. "
> " You do not wear a towel on your head if you don't have a headache."
>
> No hate involved from my side.

Re: undeadly article

Brent Shumacher
Please take your lovers' spat off-list. This has nothing to do with OpenBSD.

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Tomas Bodzar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Mihai Popescu B.S. <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here is my last post to this thread. No time to argue out of the
>> subject. My point is it is safer not to hurt yourself, in this case is
>> safer to avoid unnecessary conflicts and treatments on the airport.
>> Why ? The worst thing it can happen in this situation is B .... well,
>> you are held there and you can't reach anymore the hackathon meeting.
>> So nice.
>
> So it's better to be shut up and threat myself without reason from
> official authorities just because they don't know anything about
> security? It's so "eastern europeanish". I thought that those times
> are behind us after end of CCCP, RVHP and similar "friendly"
> partnerships in our region. And I thought that people like we with
> "practice" with similar regime can know much more better how stupid
> are all those security checks on airports, HADOPI, monitoring of
> calls/sms and similar "clever" solutions.
>

>> I was drive to open this thread by the memory of another case with
>> someone from open source. My intention was not to judge people B ( J.C.
>> vs. R) but behaviours.
>>

> Case with RMS was completely different. RMS was angry on mostly
> everyone around. JCR was ok, but he just tries to describe stupidity
> in funny way in one of internet magazines.
>
>> So J.C. of course you are others are free to do and write whatever you
>> like, but I think your scenario was set up from home. I know what
>> sarcasm is, please avoid using wikipedia as a reference, it looks not
>> so nice.
>> Here are a few translations of my own for local humour, here in
>> Eastern Europe ( no hints included : )
>>
>> " You do not put a flea on a white paper. "
>> " You do not wear a towel on your head if you don't have a headache."
>>
>> No hate involved from my side.

12