undeadly article

Mihai Popescu B.S.
Hello,

I have read the undeadly.org article about how to "play" with airport
security. I don't know who is the guy acting like this on an airport,
but my brain triggered something I read in the past, about a well
known guy from open source who was throw out from an airplane by the
security team.

Just my thought, maybe not related to misc ... but I think this story
is not in the line of good old undeadly.

Re: undeadly article

David Vasek
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have read the undeadly.org article about how to "play" with airport
> security. I don't know who is the guy acting like this on an airport,
> but my brain triggered something I read in the past, about a well
> known guy from open source who was throw out from an airplane by the
> security team.
>
> Just my thought, maybe not related to misc ... but I think this story
> is not in the line of good old undeadly.

Are you looking for this?
http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#43

Regards,
David

Re: undeadly article

Marco Peereboom
But funny nonetheless.  I LOLed.

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 07:22:55PM +0300, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have read the undeadly.org article about how to "play" with airport
> security. I don't know who is the guy acting like this on an airport,
> but my brain triggered something I read in the past, about a well
> known guy from open source who was throw out from an airplane by the
> security team.
>
> Just my thought, maybe not related to misc ... but I think this story
> is not in the line of good old undeadly.

Re: undeadly article

Damien Miller
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have read the undeadly.org article about how to "play" with airport
> security. I don't know who is the guy acting like this on an airport,
> but my brain triggered something I read in the past, about a well
> known guy from open source who was throw out from an airplane by the
> security team.
>
> Just my thought, maybe not related to misc ... but I think this story
> is not in the line of good old undeadly.

What? I think you are blaming the victim here. The perpetrators are the
pinheads who think laptops are dangerous goods and people who carry
more than one are probable terrorists.

-d

Re: undeadly article

Bryan Irvine
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Damien Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have read the undeadly.org article about how to "play" with airport
>> security. I don't know who is the guy acting like this on an airport,
>> but my brain triggered something I read in the past, about a well
>> known guy from open source who was throw out from an airplane by the
>> security team.
>>
>> Just my thought, maybe not related to misc ... but I think this story
>> is not in the line of good old undeadly.
>
> What? I think you are blaming the victim here. The perpetrators are the
> pinheads who think laptops are dangerous goods and people who carry
> more than one are probable terrorists.

That's it! You've just bought yourself "random passenger" status.
Enjoy your cavity search.

-B

Re: undeadly article

Jim Razmus
* Mihai Popescu B.S. <[hidden email]> [100816 12:25]:

> Hello,
>
> I have read the undeadly.org article about how to "play" with airport
> security. I don't know who is the guy acting like this on an airport,
> but my brain triggered something I read in the past, about a well
> known guy from open source who was throw out from an airplane by the
> security team.
>
> Just my thought, maybe not related to misc ... but I think this story
> is not in the line of good old undeadly.

I'm glad you read the article and care enough to share your opinion.  As
one of the participants, I can assure that the article was written to be
a humorous recap of events.  Truth be told, we were happy to be out of
the airport so we could get some lunch.

jim@

Re: undeadly article

J.C. Roberts-4
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:22:55 +0300 "Mihai Popescu B.S."
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have read the undeadly.org article about how to "play" with airport
> security. I don't know who is the guy acting like this on an airport,
> but my brain triggered something I read in the past, about a well
> known guy from open source who was throw out from an airplane by the
> security team.
>
> Just my thought, maybe not related to misc ... but I think this story
> is not in the line of good old undeadly.

Hi Mihai,

I wanted to thank you for both reading the articles on www.undeadly.org
but more importantly, I wanted to thank you for voicing your opinion.
You could have voiced your opinion on undeadly in the comments, rather
than here on misc@ but I somewhat understand why you decided to use the
mailing list instead.  Comparing me to insane antics of Richard Stallman
is an extremely offensive opinion, so you probably worried your opinion
would have been deleted from undeadly.

You didn't need to worry. On undeadly, we let conflicting opinions
stand.  Only with reluctance will we delete the most blatant spam/libel
(i.e. trolls) to keep the site usable.

My article was just a humorous retelling of the very typical problems
seen by people traveling.  The trouble with humor is it can make no
sense across language or cultural barriers.  I like to think the world
is a better place when we can laugh, but unfortunately, due to cultural
and language differences, some people will not understand or appreciate
all of the jokes.

If you asked me to understand a language other than English, I would
fail miserably, but if you asked me to understand jokes in another
language or from another culture, I would fail even worse. You would
have to explain the jokes to me, and even then I might not get them due
to lack of experience.

If you really want to understand all of the pointed humor in the
article, you'll need to do a lot of reading and learning. For example,
the phrase "U.S. Department of Homeland Theatrics" I used in the article
is pointed joke referring to the phrase "Security Theater" originated by
Bruce Schneier.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Schneier
        http://www.schneier.com

The complete nonsense Jacob Meuser (jakemsr@), Jim Razmus (jim@) and I
went through at Canadian Customs not only highlights ineffective and
fake security measures, but also shows the lack of understanding most
people have of open source software. All of us were very glad to be done
wasting our time with pointless questions from ignorant people. We did
not cause or prolong their nonsense, instead we complied their requests
and suffered through their nonsense like all rational people do.

As for laughing about it and laughing at them afterwards, as well as
laughing publicly, this is a good and even beneficial response. The more
people who openly laugh at fake security, the better everyone will be.

I'm sorry you did not see the humor or the points in the article, but it
was better for me to try to write an entertaining but pointed article
involving the issues everyone faces when traveling. I will agree it was
not a typical, highly technical article for undeadly, but I hope you
realize we work on undeadly for fun, so occasionally breaking up the
technical bits with joking around should be expected.

        kind regards,
        jcr

The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org

Re: undeadly article

Paul Irofti-4
jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to travel
much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and their inner
workings.

Re: undeadly article

Diana Eichert
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Paul Irofti wrote:

> jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to travel
> much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and their inner
> workings.

but Paul, y'all have great horse driven carriages.

Re: undeadly article

Marius ROMAN
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Paul Irofti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to travel
> much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and their inner
> workings.

Am zis !

Re: undeadly article

Mike Erdely
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 07:30:55PM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:
> jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to travel
> much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and their inner
> workings.

Gypsies who don't travel, eh?

-ME

Re: undeadly article

Bret S. Lambert-2
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 01:50:55PM -0400, Mike Erdely wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 07:30:55PM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:
> > jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to travel
> > much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and their inner
> > workings.
>
> Gypsies who don't travel, eh?

They just make your shit theirs with the power of their *mind*

> -ME

Re: undeadly article

J.C. Roberts-4
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:30:55 +0300 Paul Irofti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to
> travel much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and
> their inner workings.

It's really not a big deal, and Mihai's criticism (or any criticism) is
worth consideration. Instead of being offended, I tried to see what went
wrong. I'm still terribly new to writing articles, but I'm trying to
learn from any feedback I receive, positive or negative.

On a lighter note, if you and Mihai want to send me your best Romanian
jokes in Romanian, I'm sure I can misinterpret them. ;)

        jcr

The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org

Re: undeadly article

Christiano F. Haesbaert
On 17 August 2010 14:50, Mike Erdely <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 07:30:55PM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:
>> jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to travel
>> much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and their inner
>> workings.
>
> Gypsies who don't travel, eh?

They have social security now, Go Go Gypsies !

Re: undeadly article

Miod Vallat
> >jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to travel
> >much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and their inner
> >workings.
>
> but Paul, y'all have great horse driven carriages.

Do they live in an Amish Paradise too?

Re: undeadly article

Daniel Bolgheroni-6
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, J.C. Roberts wrote:

> My article was just a humorous retelling of the very typical problems
> seen by people traveling.  The trouble with humor is it can make no
> sense across language or cultural barriers.  I like to think the world
> is a better place when we can laugh, but unfortunately, due to cultural
> and language differences, some people will not understand or appreciate
> all of the jokes.
>
> If you asked me to understand a language other than English, I would
> fail miserably, but if you asked me to understand jokes in another
> language or from another culture, I would fail even worse. You would
> have to explain the jokes to me, and even then I might not get them due
> to lack of experience.

I don't think language was a barrier. He can write in English, unlike
me, very well. Anyway, I laughed a lot.

Re: undeadly article

Lars Nooden-2
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> ... I'm trying to learn from any feedback I receive, positive or
> negative...

IMHO it was well-written.  Security Theatre is just a more harmful, very
expensive, corporate version of Eat-a-Bug.

/Lars

Re: undeadly article

Jordi Espasa Clofent-5
Christiano F. Haesbaert escribis:
> On 17 August 2010 14:50, Mike Erdely <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 07:30:55PM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:
>>> jcr, please forgive my fellow romanian as us gypsies don't get to travel
>>> much and don't know the mysteries of these flying birds and their inner
>>> workings.
>> Gypsies who don't travel, eh?
>>

> They have social security now, Go Go Gypsies !

I suppose it's a kind of humour, but, anyway... shame on you.

--
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Re: undeadly article

Mihai Popescu B.S.
Hello,

My post was not intended as a direct hit for the article. I told my
opinion to misc@ because undeadly ask for subscription, no more
anonymous coward post. Am I wrong ?

I target airport behaviour with my comment. I use the airport for 6
flight until now, no problem at all with security teams. I was quick
and polite in answers and the time with them was short. Most of them
have the "nose" to see what they are dealing with. If you start
playing, they will answer accordingly, not because you look like a
suspect, it is more like an answer. Do you really think they like what
they are doing, Robert ? How whould you feel inspecting people's
luggage like a thief ? Or suspecting them ? Those are the rules ...

I like the humour on undeadly, but this article was not for me. I saw
a guy who was tried to get as more attention as he can. You don't need
the fifth wheel on a running car, Robert. Four are enough. If you
insist to use it, you will get people attention for sure.

The gipsy part is not funny also, but this is clear not for misc@.

Have fun ! (but not in sensible areas).

Re: undeadly article

Marco Peereboom
And if you are a veteran air traveler you know that those so called
security guards aren't what they crack up to be.  They do not have a
nose for anything and the entire security apparatus is nothing but
subsidized labor.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:28:57PM +0300, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My post was not intended as a direct hit for the article. I told my
> opinion to misc@ because undeadly ask for subscription, no more
> anonymous coward post. Am I wrong ?
>
> I target airport behaviour with my comment. I use the airport for 6
> flight until now, no problem at all with security teams. I was quick
> and polite in answers and the time with them was short. Most of them
> have the "nose" to see what they are dealing with. If you start
> playing, they will answer accordingly, not because you look like a
> suspect, it is more like an answer. Do you really think they like what
> they are doing, Robert ? How whould you feel inspecting people's
> luggage like a thief ? Or suspecting them ? Those are the rules ...
>
> I like the humour on undeadly, but this article was not for me. I saw
> a guy who was tried to get as more attention as he can. You don't need
> the fifth wheel on a running car, Robert. Four are enough. If you
> insist to use it, you will get people attention for sure.
>

> The gipsy part is not funny also, but this is clear not for misc@.
>
> Have fun ! (but not in sensible areas).

12