umb(4) authentication

Lee B
Hello,

I had an itch, so I scratched it.

The umb(4) driver has a FIXME in if_umb.c for user name
and passphrase support. My LTE provider happens to require
this so I thought I'd have a go.

The provider seems happy with my umb changes, and I've
added some bits in ifconfig(8) to allow setting of the
authentication information (user/pass/protocol):

umb0: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        index 5 priority 6 llprio 3
        roaming disabled registration home network
        state up cell-class LTE rssi -67dBm speed 47.7Mps up 95.4Mps down
        SIM initialized PIN valid (3 attempts left)
        subscriber-id 999999999999999 ICC-id 9999999999999999999 provider xxxxxxxxxx
        device MC7700 IMEI 999999999999999 firmware SWI9200X_03.05.19.00Aap
        phone# 99999999999 APN xxxxxxxxxx User xxxxxxxx Pass xxxxxxxxx Auth CHAP
        dns x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
        groups: egress
        status: active
        inet x.x.x.x --> x.x.x.x netmask 0xfffffffc

(please excuse line wraps, and I've redacted possibly
sensitive info)

Now, this is my first attempt at OpenBSD development, and
writing my changes raised a few questions. So, does someone
want to spare a few minutes off-list, or should I just
clutter up tech@ ?

(I've read the top of the Makefile, I've been through the
web pages on AnonCVS and release(8))

Thanks,

Lee.

Re: umb(4) authentication

Anders Andersson
On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 3:00 PM leeb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had an itch, so I scratched it.
>
> The umb(4) driver has a FIXME in if_umb.c for user name
> and passphrase support. My LTE provider happens to require
> this so I thought I'd have a go.
>
> The provider seems happy with my umb changes, and I've
> added some bits in ifconfig(8) to allow setting of the
> authentication information (user/pass/protocol):
>
> umb0: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         index 5 priority 6 llprio 3
>         roaming disabled registration home network
>         state up cell-class LTE rssi -67dBm speed 47.7Mps up 95.4Mps down
>         SIM initialized PIN valid (3 attempts left)
>         subscriber-id 999999999999999 ICC-id 9999999999999999999 provider xxxxxxxxxx
>         device MC7700 IMEI 999999999999999 firmware SWI9200X_03.05.19.00Aap
>         phone# 99999999999 APN xxxxxxxxxx User xxxxxxxx Pass xxxxxxxxx Auth CHAP
>         dns x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
>         groups: egress
>         status: active
>         inet x.x.x.x --> x.x.x.x netmask 0xfffffffc
>
> (please excuse line wraps, and I've redacted possibly
> sensitive info)
>
> Now, this is my first attempt at OpenBSD development, and
> writing my changes raised a few questions. So, does someone
> want to spare a few minutes off-list, or should I just
> clutter up tech@ ?
>
> (I've read the top of the Makefile, I've been through the
> web pages on AnonCVS and release(8))
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee.

This email should be gold plated and moved to a permanent location in
the FAQ on how to help OpenBSD and how to request new features.

Re: umb(4) authentication

Martijn van Duren-5
On 1/13/20 4:30 PM, Anders Andersson wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 3:00 PM leeb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I had an itch, so I scratched it.
>>
>> The umb(4) driver has a FIXME in if_umb.c for user name
>> and passphrase support. My LTE provider happens to require
>> this so I thought I'd have a go.
>>
>> The provider seems happy with my umb changes, and I've
>> added some bits in ifconfig(8) to allow setting of the
>> authentication information (user/pass/protocol):
>>
>> umb0: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>         index 5 priority 6 llprio 3
>>         roaming disabled registration home network
>>         state up cell-class LTE rssi -67dBm speed 47.7Mps up 95.4Mps down
>>         SIM initialized PIN valid (3 attempts left)
>>         subscriber-id 999999999999999 ICC-id 9999999999999999999 provider xxxxxxxxxx
>>         device MC7700 IMEI 999999999999999 firmware SWI9200X_03.05.19.00Aap
>>         phone# 99999999999 APN xxxxxxxxxx User xxxxxxxx Pass xxxxxxxxx Auth CHAP
>>         dns x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
>>         groups: egress
>>         status: active
>>         inet x.x.x.x --> x.x.x.x netmask 0xfffffffc
>>
>> (please excuse line wraps, and I've redacted possibly
>> sensitive info)
>>
>> Now, this is my first attempt at OpenBSD development, and
>> writing my changes raised a few questions. So, does someone
>> want to spare a few minutes off-list, or should I just
>> clutter up tech@ ?
>>
>> (I've read the top of the Makefile, I've been through the
>> web pages on AnonCVS and release(8))
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Lee.
>
> This email should be gold plated and moved to a permanent location in
> the FAQ on how to help OpenBSD and how to request new features.

Lee is obviously new to the community and doesn't know the workflow well
enough. He tries to be polite and make sure he doesn't clutter the list.
If you actually read his mail you would've seen that he has a diff and
it works for him, so it's obviously not a dumb feature request.

Please refrain from ridiculing people with good intentions.

Re: umb(4) authentication

Anders Andersson
On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 4:42 PM Martijn van Duren
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/13/20 4:30 PM, Anders Andersson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 3:00 PM leeb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I had an itch, so I scratched it.
> >>
> >> The umb(4) driver has a FIXME in if_umb.c for user name
> >> and passphrase support. My LTE provider happens to require
> >> this so I thought I'd have a go.
> >>
> >> The provider seems happy with my umb changes, and I've
> >> added some bits in ifconfig(8) to allow setting of the
> >> authentication information (user/pass/protocol):
> >>
> >> umb0: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >>         index 5 priority 6 llprio 3
> >>         roaming disabled registration home network
> >>         state up cell-class LTE rssi -67dBm speed 47.7Mps up 95.4Mps down
> >>         SIM initialized PIN valid (3 attempts left)
> >>         subscriber-id 999999999999999 ICC-id 9999999999999999999 provider xxxxxxxxxx
> >>         device MC7700 IMEI 999999999999999 firmware SWI9200X_03.05.19.00Aap
> >>         phone# 99999999999 APN xxxxxxxxxx User xxxxxxxx Pass xxxxxxxxx Auth CHAP
> >>         dns x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
> >>         groups: egress
> >>         status: active
> >>         inet x.x.x.x --> x.x.x.x netmask 0xfffffffc
> >>
> >> (please excuse line wraps, and I've redacted possibly
> >> sensitive info)
> >>
> >> Now, this is my first attempt at OpenBSD development, and
> >> writing my changes raised a few questions. So, does someone
> >> want to spare a few minutes off-list, or should I just
> >> clutter up tech@ ?
> >>
> >> (I've read the top of the Makefile, I've been through the
> >> web pages on AnonCVS and release(8))
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Lee.
> >
> > This email should be gold plated and moved to a permanent location in
> > the FAQ on how to help OpenBSD and how to request new features.
> >
> Lee is obviously new to the community and doesn't know the workflow well
> enough. He tries to be polite and make sure he doesn't clutter the list.
> If you actually read his mail you would've seen that he has a diff and
> it works for him, so it's obviously not a dumb feature request.
>
> Please refrain from ridiculing people with good intentions.

I did read the whole email. Now I'm wondering if you read my reply?
It's not very long, just one sentence. Did you add a few "not" in
there that I didn't write? Or if you are meta-trolling me somehow, I
apologize if I missed the wooshing noise.

Re: umb(4) authentication

Lee B
On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 04:42:22PM +0100, Martijn van Duren wrote:
> On 1/13/20 4:30 PM, Anders Andersson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 3:00 PM leeb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,

     <snip>

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Lee.
> >
> > This email should be gold plated and moved to a permanent location in
> > the FAQ on how to help OpenBSD and how to request new features.
> >
> Lee is obviously new to the community and doesn't know the workflow well
> enough. He tries to be polite and make sure he doesn't clutter the list.
> If you actually read his mail you would've seen that he has a diff and
> it works for him, so it's obviously not a dumb feature request.
>
> Please refrain from ridiculing people with good intentions.

I originally read Anders' mail as complimentary, but now I'm not so sure?

Lee.

Re: umb(4) authentication

Brett Mahar-3

| > > This email should be gold plated and moved to a permanent location in
| > > the FAQ on how to help OpenBSD and how to request new features.
| > >

| > Please refrain from ridiculing people with good intentions.
| >

| I originally read Anders' mail as complimentary, but now I'm not so sure?
|
| Lee.

Hi Lee,

Just ignore this Anders person.

If a developer who works in this area doesn't reply in the next couple of days, you could either send the diffs to tech@ or reach out to a recent committer to the same area of code, you can see who committed via cvs or https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/src/

Brett.

Re: umb(4) authentication

On 2020/01/14 00:54, leeb wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 04:42:22PM +0100, Martijn van Duren wrote:

>      <snip>

> > > This email should be gold plated and moved to a permanent location in
> > > the FAQ on how to help OpenBSD and how to request new features.
> > >
> > Lee is obviously new to the community and doesn't know the workflow well
> > enough. He tries to be polite and make sure he doesn't clutter the list.
> > If you actually read his mail you would've seen that he has a diff and
> > it works for him, so it's obviously not a dumb feature request.
> >
> > Please refrain from ridiculing people with good intentions.
> >

> I originally read Anders' mail as complimentary, but now I'm not so sure?

Yes, it was - this is a good example!

: Now, this is my first attempt at OpenBSD development, and
: writing my changes raised a few questions. So, does someone
: want to spare a few minutes off-list, or should I just
: clutter up tech@ ?

tech@ is good because it means that other readers or people finding
this in list archives can benefit too from the questions/answers too,
and if it's something more general then people involved in documentation
may be able to identify something that's missing and worth adding.