ucom(4)

Gregory Edigarov-2
Hello,

Today I've bought myself Viewcon USB-to-RS232c adapter cable.
Under OpenBSD it is identifies as:

uplcom0 at uhub1 port 6 "Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial
Controller" rev 1.10/3.00 addr 3

however, when I try to connect to any device via the cable, and then
access to it using cu -l /dev/cuaU0, it behaves strangely:
I could see the device receiving  what I type, but I cannot see any
response from the device.

If somebody had any success with this device please let me know.
--
With best regards,
        Gregory Edigarov

Re: ucom(4)

Gregory Edigarov-2
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:39:00 +0300
Gregory Edigarov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Today I've bought myself Viewcon USB-to-RS232c adapter cable.
> Under OpenBSD it is identifies as:
>
> uplcom0 at uhub1 port 6 "Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial
> Controller" rev 1.10/3.00 addr 3
>
> however, when I try to connect to any device via the cable, and then
> access to it using cu -l /dev/cuaU0, it behaves strangely:
> I could see the device receiving  what I type, but I cannot see any
> response from the device.

trying to set different speeds on the port doesn't help me either.

> If somebody had any success with this device please let me know.

may be it is just a bad device?

--
With best regards,
        Gregory Edigarov

Re: ucom(4)

FRLinux-2
On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Gregory Edigarov
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> trying to set different speeds on the port doesn't help me either.

Have you tried with screen directly ? screen /dev/xxx

Also i'd give it a go with and without parity (look at the man page)

Cheers,
Steph

Re: ucom(4)

Floor Terra
On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Gregory Edigarov
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,

> however, when I try to connect to any device via the cable, and then
> access to it using cu -l /dev/cuaU0, it behaves strangely:
> I could see the device receiving B what I type, but I cannot see any
> response from the device.

Does "cu -l /dev/ttyU0" work?

Floor

--
Floor Terra <[hidden email]>
www: http://brobding.mine.nu/

Re: ucom(4)

Gregory Edigarov-2
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:33:03 +0100
FRLinux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Gregory Edigarov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > trying to set different speeds on the port doesn't help me either.
>
> Have you tried with screen directly ? screen /dev/xxx

not working either.

> Also i'd give it a go with and without parity (look at the man page)

further investigating the issue I found, that ispeed is somehow got set
to 0:

# stty -f /dev/cuaU0
ispeed 0 baud; ospeed 9600 baud;
lflags: echoe echoke echoctl
cflags: cs8 -parenb

# stty -f /dev/ttyU0
ispeed 0 baud; ospeed 9600 baud;
lflags: echoe echoke echoctl
cflags: cs8 -parenb

could there be a reason, and if so how can I change this?

--
With best regards,
        Gregory Edigarov

Re: ucom(4)

Gregory Edigarov-2
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:46:40 +0200
Floor Terra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Gregory Edigarov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > however, when I try to connect to any device via the cable, and then
> > access to it using cu -l /dev/cuaU0, it behaves strangely:
> > I could see the device receiving B what I type, but I cannot see any
> > response from the device.
>
> Does "cu -l /dev/ttyU0" work?

tried that too, doesn't work either.

--
With best regards,
        Gregory Edigarov

Re: ucom(4)

Gregory Edigarov-2
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:39:00 +0300
Gregory Edigarov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Today I've bought myself Viewcon USB-to-RS232c adapter cable.
> Under OpenBSD it is identifies as:
>
> uplcom0 at uhub1 port 6 "Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial
> Controller" rev 1.10/3.00 addr 3
>
> however, when I try to connect to any device via the cable, and then
> access to it using cu -l /dev/cuaU0, it behaves strangely:
> I could see the device receiving  what I type, but I cannot see any
> response from the device.
>
> If somebody had any success with this device please let me know.

Forget about it, it's the cable itself. I've just exchanged it  and
the problem disapear. Sorry for the noise.

Thank you.

--
With best regards,
        Gregory Edigarov