trouble setting the network, couldn't recognize lan-card

trouble setting the network, couldn't recognize lan-card

Kamen-4
Hi

I downloaded CD-image for installing OpenBSD 3.8 from one of the mirrors, listed in openbsd.org . When I started installing obsd, just after I choose "Yes" to start configuring the network it shows me only the line: "No more network interfaces found" (without any network interfaces listed  ). After I finished installing obsd, I tried to power up the network, following the instructions in man ifconfig, but without success. In openbsd.org I saw that my lan card (ethernet adapter) is supported. My ethernet adapter is integrated in the nvidia nforce2 mainboard, in openbsd.org/i386.html I found that:

NVidia nForce2 integrated 3Com 9201 (nForce2-ST, nForce2-GT)

which is the same, sure.

Is this a real "bug" in your product??? Simultaneously with these troubles, I used network with Arabian Linux and Windows XP on the same PC without any problems.

Hope that the problem can be passed, but if it wouldn't, I hope a lot that I won't have troubles with the 3.9 version :)

Please if you solve the problem, re-email me.

Re: trouble setting the network, couldn't recognize lan-card

Henning Brauer-3
* kamen <[hidden email]> [2006-01-20 20:29]:
> Hi
>
> I downloaded CD-image for installing OpenBSD 3.8 from one of the mirrors, listed in openbsd.org . When I started installing obsd, just after I choose "Yes" to start configuring the network it shows me only the line: "No more network interfaces found" (without any network interfaces listed  ). After I finished installing obsd, I tried to power up the network, following the instructions in man ifconfig, but without success. In openbsd.org I saw that my lan card (ethernet adapter) is supported. My ethernet adapter is integrated in the nvidia nforce2 mainboard, in openbsd.org/i386.html I found that:
>
> NVidia nForce2 integrated 3Com 9201 (nForce2-ST, nForce2-GT)
>
> which is the same, sure.

beware. nForce2 has one or two integrated ethernet interfaces,
depending on the exact model. in those that have two, the 2nd is the
3com. the first one (that is also the one in the 1port models) is
undocumented and thus unsupported.

--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...