tools in openbsd

Gustavo Rios
Dear folks,

I have been around with a doubt in my mind. While i see many good
tools in the net, i could not figure it out why they cannot be come
default in openbsd dist.

For instance, i am very confortable with tools like qmail and djbdns.
I ask because i love programming and i am very confident about my
work. I would be very proud to have my work included in openbsd but
have no ideia how i could make it happen.

Probably some core developer could lead me towards my goal (In private, please).

PS: Don't you get me wrong, please, i just would like to contribute to such a
exceptional OS. I hope nobody get offended by such a question.

Re: tools in openbsd

Allen-7
> I have been around with a doubt in my mind. While i see many good
> tools in the net, i could not figure it out why they cannot be come
> default in openbsd dist.

In general this page explains the story in general about particular
software products:
http://www.openbsd.com/faq/faq1.html#HowAbout

> For instance, i am very confortable with tools like qmail and djbdns.

As for these two programs in particular, they're both mentioned
specifically on that FAQ page because of their restrictive licensing.

> I ask because i love programming and i am very confident about my
> work.

Certainly looking through the ports tree for the specific apps you
have in mind is a good place to start. If you want to see a
particular app included in OpenBSD, licensing permitting, the best
place to start contributing in most cases is by making a port of that
application, submit it to the ports@  list and see what the response is.

If you have a look at undeadly.org, there's a slide presentation
there now that shows how quickly the ports tree has / is growing.

Lastly, it would probably serve you well to have a closer look
through the FAQs to see if there are other similar things you might
have in mind that might be addressed there.

Best,
Allen

http://www.memetrics.com -
Web Analytics from Memetrics

Re: tools in openbsd

Otto Moerbeek
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Gustavo Rios wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I have been around with a doubt in my mind. While i see many good
> tools in the net, i could not figure it out why they cannot be come
> default in openbsd dist.
>
> For instance, i am very confortable with tools like qmail and djbdns.
> I ask because i love programming and i am very confident about my
> work. I would be very proud to have my work included in openbsd but
> have no ideia how i could make it happen.
>
> Probably some core developer could lead me towards my goal (In private, please).
>
> PS: Don't you get me wrong, please, i just would like to contribute to such a
> exceptional OS. I hope nobody get offended by such a question.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq1.html#HowAbout

        -Otto