tmux, option allow-rename off allows renaming

tmux, option allow-rename off allows renaming

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri-3
Hi,

I'm doing some development on a Linux machine over SSH from a tmux shell
session.

Whenever I log into the Linux host, it renames the current tmux window
(what's displayed to the right at the bottom) to "user@host /path" (with
those words replaced by the actual user etc.).

This window name stays around even after I log out of the Linux host,
which is annoying.

This happens even though I have the following in my .tmux.conf file:

    set-window-option -g allow-rename off
    set-window-option -g automatic-rename off

I'm running OpenBSD-current (updated weekly) on amd64.

How may I disallow the renaming of the tmux window?

Regards,
Kusalananda

Re: tmux, option allow-rename off allows renaming

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:12:52PM +0100, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm doing some development on a Linux machine over SSH from a tmux shell
> session.
>
> Whenever I log into the Linux host, it renames the current tmux window
> (what's displayed to the right at the bottom) to "user@host /path" (with
> those words replaced by the actual user etc.).
>
> This window name stays around even after I log out of the Linux host,
> which is annoying.
>
> This happens even though I have the following in my .tmux.conf file:
>
>     set-window-option -g allow-rename off
>     set-window-option -g automatic-rename off
>
> I'm running OpenBSD-current (updated weekly) on amd64.
>
> How may I disallow the renaming of the tmux window?

It appears as if this is the "windows title" and not the "windows name".
There is no option to disallow setting the windows title, unfortunately.

However, I can at least re-set the title to what I want it to be (my
host's name) in my OpenBSD shell through modifying the PS1 environment
variable.

Re: tmux, option allow-rename off allows renaming

Uwe Werler
That's exactly the reason why I wrote this little wrapper script:

https://github.com/uwerler/tmux_ssh