tmpfs

Sonic
I remember a bit of fanfare when tmpfs was enabled in OpenBSD -
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20131217081921 and at the
time switched from using mfs to tmpfs. At the time it appeared that
tmpfs solved some mfs issues. It seems we've come full circle and
noticed during a perusal of the cvs list that tmpfs is now disabled in
-current. However, there seems to be no mention of that in following
-current faq at https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html.

Re: tmpfs

Theo de Raadt-2
> I remember a bit of fanfare when tmpfs was enabled in OpenBSD -
> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20131217081921 and at the
> time switched from using mfs to tmpfs. At the time it appeared that
> tmpfs solved some mfs issues. It seems we've come full circle and
> noticed during a perusal of the cvs list that tmpfs is now disabled in
> -current.

Because the code quality is crap.

> However, there seems to be no mention of that in following
> -current faq at https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html.

We don't spend hours of our time adding unimportant notes to that file.

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Are there any “gatekeepers” around the code?
I thought “tech” was the best place to release questionable code?

//mxb

> Because the code quality is crap.

Re: tmpfs

Theo de Raadt-2
> Are there any "gatekeepers" around the code?

What is a gatekeeper?

Is it a maintainer?  If you want this code, step up.

> I thought "tech" was the best place to release
> questionable code?

What kind of release are you talking about?

We are closer to using "cvs rm" as a release mechanism.

Re: tmpfs

Theo de Raadt-2
I don't appreciate the private reply.

Adding misc back in.

> 1. I don't use tmpfs. So for me - I don' care that much.

If you don't care, then don't talk about it.

In particular, don't send a message which criticizes the approaches we
take to make OpenBSD more robust.

Don't act butt-hurt in public, then reply privately and say you don't
care.

> 2. I'm abt any other/alpha/beta patches on the tech@. (Sorry,
> might have missed that part, if any)

Look, you said you don't care.

> 3. You know better

But apparently you don't.

Your voice does not count.

If you cannot contribute in some way to improve code, then don't
question the people who invest their own time to either
       (a) improve the code
    or (b) take another action when they don't see a way to improve the code

It is that simple.  When you are such a jerk, it requires someone to
act like a jerk to demonstrate a big problem in the open source
ecosystem:  People who generate words rather than action.

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Missed "CC all" last time.

You or any other actually answered my questions.
Your “jumps” are as usual.

I understand that best way to defend is to actually attack.
This kind of answer I received is expected.

I could add more to this mail, but I’d rather not.

> On 29 juli 2016, at 23:04, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't appreciate the private reply.
>
> Adding misc back in.
>
>> 1. I don't use tmpfs. So for me - I don' care that much.
>
> If you don't care, then don't talk about it.
>
> In particular, don't send a message which criticizes the approaches we
> take to make OpenBSD more robust.
>
> Don't act butt-hurt in public, then reply privately and say you don't
> care.
>
>> 2. I'm abt any other/alpha/beta patches on the tech@. (Sorry,
>> might have missed that part, if any)
>
> Look, you said you don't care.
>
>> 3. You know better
>
> But apparently you don't.
>
> Your voice does not count.
>
> If you cannot contribute in some way to improve code, then don't
> question the people who invest their own time to either
>       (a) improve the code
>    or (b) take another action when they don't see a way to improve the code
>
> It is that simple.  When you are such a jerk, it requires someone to
> act like a jerk to demonstrate a big problem in the open source
> ecosystem:  People who generate words rather than action.

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
I don't appreciate the private reply.

Adding misc back in.

> Just shut up.

Re: tmpfs

Theo de Raadt-2
Yeah, you sure are the cool dude.

Despite the existance of people like you, OpenBSD has been
progressing as working code for 20 years.

And what have you added.  Just words.

Mean ones about things you later say you don't are about.  Just
layers of spite from you when it is pointed out your words don't
change the world in any way.

> I don't appreciate the private reply.
>
> Adding misc back in.

> > Just shut up.

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
While looking at the mirror, read your last email once again.

> On 30 juli 2016, at 19:58, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yeah, you sure are the cool dude.
>
> Despite the existance of people like you, OpenBSD has been
> progressing as working code for 20 years.
>

> And what have you added.  Just words.
>
> Mean ones about things you later say you don't are about.  Just
> layers of spite from you when it is pointed out your words don't
> change the world in any way.
>
>> I don't appreciate the private reply.
>>
>> Adding misc back in.

>>> Just shut up.

Re: tmpfs

ludovic coues
Guess which one of you and theo have it's name all over the CVS tree ?

--

Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
+336 148 743 42

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Who gives a sh*t?!
Ppl supporting OpenBSD community what matters - with userbase without users is
like masturbating.

Ppl like me test public diffs on live equipment, donate money and buy CDs so
Theo can continue to milk this project
so he can bike in Canadian woods.

As we speak it in Russia:
“His long tongue will some day shorten his neck”.

Good advice for him is to pledge() his mouth before someone else do it.

The beauty in globalization is that distances and time get shorter.
Even time-to-market AND market itself.

With his big mouth like THIS he might get it turbulent.
He actually did, buy pulling off DARPA feed.

> On 31 juli 2016, at 16:51, ludovic coues <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Guess which one of you and theo have it's name all over the CVS tree ?

>> While looking at the mirror, read your last email once again.
>>

>>> On 30 juli 2016, at 19:58, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, you sure are the cool dude.
>>>
>>> Despite the existance of people like you, OpenBSD has been
>>> progressing as working code for 20 years.
>>>

>>> And what have you added.  Just words.
>>>
>>> Mean ones about things you later say you don't are about.  Just
>>> layers of spite from you when it is pointed out your words don't
>>> change the world in any way.

> --
>
> Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
> +336 148 743 42

Re: tmpfs

Aioi Yuuko
> Who gives a sh*t?!
This project, as it happens.
> Ppl supporting OpenBSD community what matters - with userbase without users is
> like masturbating.
What is this obsession with masturbating? Linus has it too. At least you get credit for not mentioning monkeys.
> Ppl like me test public diffs on live equipment, donate money and buy CDs so
> Theo can continue to milk this project
> so he can bike in Canadian woods.
Testing in production is your stupid decision.
> As we speak it in Russia:
> “His long tongue will some day shorten his neck”.
Stop making Russians look bad. Some of us like OpenBSD.
> Good advice for him is to pledge() his mouth before someone else do it.
See your previous message re: mirrors.
> The beauty in globalization is that distances and time get shorter.
> Even time-to-market AND market itself.
Perhaps absent that, the effort threshold for you to write a message would be higher, sparing us all.
> With his big mouth like THIS he might get it turbulent.
> He actually did, buy pulling off DARPA feed.
``Who gives a sh*t?!'', as you so eloquently put it.

Re: tmpfs

Karel Gardas
Could you be so kind and move this conversation out of misc@

Thanks! Karel

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 7:54 PM, mxb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Who gives a sh*t?!
> Ppl supporting OpenBSD community what matters - with userbase without users
is
> like masturbating.
>
> Ppl like me test public diffs on live equipment, donate money and buy CDs
so

> Theo can continue to milk this project
> so he can bike in Canadian woods.
>
> As we speak it in Russia:
> “His long tongue will some day shorten his neck”.
>
> Good advice for him is to pledge() his mouth before someone else do it.
>
> The beauty in globalization is that distances and time get shorter.
> Even time-to-market AND market itself.
>
> With his big mouth like THIS he might get it turbulent.
> He actually did, buy pulling off DARPA feed.
>

>> On 31 juli 2016, at 16:51, ludovic coues <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Guess which one of you and theo have it's name all over the CVS tree ?

>>> While looking at the mirror, read your last email once again.

>> --
>>
>> Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
>> +336 148 743 42

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
He didn’t answered about mirrors.
I asked.
So this one you can send to /dev/null.

> See your previous message re: mirrors.

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Я Русский, и что с этого?

> Stop making Russians look bad. Some of us like OpenBSD

Re: tmpfs

Consus
On 19:54 Sun 31 Jul, mxb wrote:

> Who gives a sh*t?!
> Ppl supporting OpenBSD community what matters - with userbase without users is
> like masturbating.
>
> Ppl like me test public diffs on live equipment, donate money and buy CDs so
> Theo can continue to milk this project
> so he can bike in Canadian woods.
>
> As we speak it in Russia:
> “His long tongue will some day shorten his neck”.
>
> Good advice for him is to pledge() his mouth before someone else do it.
>
> The beauty in globalization is that distances and time get shorter.
> Even time-to-market AND market itself.
>
> With his big mouth like THIS he might get it turbulent.
> He actually did, buy pulling off DARPA feed.

Come on, both you and Theo are such drama queens. Shut up already.

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Как у нас говорят, за базар надо отвечать.
В Швеции ему это предоставится.

>> Stop making Russians look bad. Some of us like OpenBSD

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Good one.
But private messages are not appreciated
So misc is in loop.
Sorry to pollute your private space.

> On 31 juli 2016, at 20:38, Karel Gardas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could you be so kind and move this conversation out of misc@
>
> Thanks! Karel
>
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 7:54 PM, mxb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Who gives a sh*t?!
>> Ppl supporting OpenBSD community what matters - with userbase without users
is
>> like masturbating.
>>
>> Ppl like me test public diffs on live equipment, donate money and buy CDs
so

>> Theo can continue to milk this project
>> so he can bike in Canadian woods.
>>
>> As we speak it in Russia:
>> “His long tongue will some day shorten his neck”.
>>
>> Good advice for him is to pledge() his mouth before someone else do it.
>>
>> The beauty in globalization is that distances and time get shorter.
>> Even time-to-market AND market itself.
>>
>> With his big mouth like THIS he might get it turbulent.
>> He actually did, buy pulling off DARPA feed.
>>

>>> On 31 juli 2016, at 16:51, ludovic coues <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Guess which one of you and theo have it's name all over the CVS tree ?

>>> --
>>>
>>> Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
>>> +336 148 743 42

Re: tmpfs

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Else it is just a discussion.

> drama

Re: tmpfs

Steve Clement
For Trumps sake Kids, put some gloves on and do it like proper coders or grab
a drink together and talk it out…

Hugs,

Steve

> On 31 Jul 2016, at 19:54, mxb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Who gives a sh*t?!
> Ppl supporting OpenBSD community what matters - with userbase without users
is
> like masturbating.
>
> Ppl like me test public diffs on live equipment, donate money and buy CDs
so

> Theo can continue to milk this project
> so he can bike in Canadian woods.
>
> As we speak it in Russia:
> “His long tongue will some day shorten his neck”.
>
> Good advice for him is to pledge() his mouth before someone else do it.
>
> The beauty in globalization is that distances and time get shorter.
> Even time-to-market AND market itself.
>
> With his big mouth like THIS he might get it turbulent.
> He actually did, buy pulling off DARPA feed.

123