thunderbird future releases

Landry Breuil-6
Hi,

as some of you may have heard, mozilla decided to slow down the
development of thundebird (or rather, reattribute the resources)
(more background here
https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/07/06/thunderbird-stability-and-community-innovation/,
more actual releng details here
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Proposal:_New_Release_and_Governance_Model)

what that means now for end users in the coming months :
- there will be no tb 18 release along fx 18. And that until 24, where
  there will be a new 'major' release built from gecko 24.
- there will be a tb 17.0.x release along each fx release. It will be
  based on gecko 17 (ie mozilla-esr17 repo + comm-release)
- this is different from 17.0.xESR releases, there will be more stuff
  added to those 17.0.x release (ie minor features, more non-critical
bugfixes that are not taken for ESR)
- there will still be a 18 beta & 19 beta (etc) until 24 beta. A real
  release built from mozilla-beta + comm-beta repositories, where new
'major community-contributed features' will bake, and tracks
firefox/gecko development.

This is already confusing enough in terms of PR & branches, so i'll
stop here.

What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
(no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)

I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.

Landry

Re: thunderbird future releases

Brett Mahar-2
On 01/05/13 08:50, Landry Breuil wrote:

> This is already confusing enough in terms of PR & branches, so i'll
> stop here.
>
> What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
> the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
> adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
> closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
> (no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)
>
> I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.
>
> Landry

Given that new versions of Firefox and Thunderbird often contain
security vulnerability fixes, and you say the betas work fine, I would
say use the betas.

Brett.

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 09:55:35AM +1100, Brett Mahar wrote:

> On 01/05/13 08:50, Landry Breuil wrote:
>

> >This is already confusing enough in terms of PR & branches, so i'll
> >stop here.
> >
> >What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
> >the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
> >adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
> >closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
> >(no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)
> >
> >I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.
> >
> >Landry
> >

> Given that new versions of Firefox and Thunderbird often contain
> security vulnerability fixes, and you say the betas work fine, I
> would say use the betas.

Did you read the plan ? 17.0.x release _will_ be security/reliability
releases. Nothing new here. That's not a reason to use beta over -release.

Landry

Re: thunderbird future releases

Brad Smith-14
On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 09:55:35AM +1100, Brett Mahar wrote:

> On 01/05/13 08:50, Landry Breuil wrote:
>

> >This is already confusing enough in terms of PR & branches, so i'll
> >stop here.
> >
> >What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
> >the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
> >adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
> >closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
> >(no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)
> >
> >I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.
> >
> >Landry
> >

> Given that new versions of Firefox and Thunderbird often contain
> security vulnerability fixes, and you say the betas work fine, I
> would say use the betas.

The 17.0.x/24.0.x releases would be the same concept as the ESR releases
for FF so they would have security fixes included.

believed to be clean.

On 01/05/13 10:13, Landry Breuil wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 09:55:35AM +1100, Brett Mahar wrote:
>> On 01/05/13 08:50, Landry Breuil wrote:
>>

>>> This is already confusing enough in terms of PR & branches, so i'll
>>> stop here.
>>>
>>> What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
>>> the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
>>> adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
>>> closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
>>> (no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)
>>>
>>> I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.
>>>
>>> Landry
>>>

>> Given that new versions of Firefox and Thunderbird often contain
>> security vulnerability fixes, and you say the betas work fine, I
>> would say use the betas.
>
> Did you read the plan ? 17.0.x release _will_ be security/reliability
> releases. Nothing new here. That's not a reason to use beta over -release.
>
> Landry

Sorry, I was still waking up and waiting for coffee to brew when I read
your email.

My preference is still for the betas, but apparently I have no real
justification for this :-)

Re: thunderbird future releases

Janne Johansson-3
I would be fine with sticking to 17 until 24 comes out if they do
apply security fixes.
I don't know what other features I would be missing in between from
the betas, but as long as I don't get rooted while reading my mails,
I'm happy to stick with something older.

2013/1/4 Landry Breuil <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> as some of you may have heard, mozilla decided to slow down the
> development of thundebird (or rather, reattribute the resources)
> (more background here
> https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/07/06/thunderbird-stability-and-community-innovation/,
> more actual releng details here
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Proposal:_New_Release_and_Governance_Model)
>
> what that means now for end users in the coming months :
> - there will be no tb 18 release along fx 18. And that until 24, where
>   there will be a new 'major' release built from gecko 24.
> - there will be a tb 17.0.x release along each fx release. It will be
>   based on gecko 17 (ie mozilla-esr17 repo + comm-release)
> - this is different from 17.0.xESR releases, there will be more stuff
>   added to those 17.0.x release (ie minor features, more non-critical
> bugfixes that are not taken for ESR)
> - there will still be a 18 beta & 19 beta (etc) until 24 beta. A real
>   release built from mozilla-beta + comm-beta repositories, where new
> 'major community-contributed features' will bake, and tracks
> firefox/gecko development.
>
> This is already confusing enough in terms of PR & branches, so i'll
> stop here.
>
> What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
> the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
> adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
> closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
> (no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)
>
> I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.
>
> Landry

Re: thunderbird future releases

Beni
I agree with Janne. After all it's a mail client and it does more or
less everything a mail client is supposed to do. I never missed any
features in TB. So I'm happy to stick with a older version + security
patches.

Beni

On 01/05/2013 10:03 AM, Janne Johansson wrote:

> I would be fine with sticking to 17 until 24 comes out if they do
> apply security fixes.
> I don't know what other features I would be missing in between from
> the betas, but as long as I don't get rooted while reading my mails,
> I'm happy to stick with something older.
>
> 2013/1/4 Landry Breuil <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as some of you may have heard, mozilla decided to slow down the
>> development of thundebird (or rather, reattribute the resources)
>> (more background here
>> https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/07/06/thunderbird-stability-and-community-innovation/,
>> more actual releng details here
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Proposal:_New_Release_and_Governance_Model)
>>
>> what that means now for end users in the coming months :
>> - there will be no tb 18 release along fx 18. And that until 24, where
>>   there will be a new 'major' release built from gecko 24.
>> - there will be a tb 17.0.x release along each fx release. It will be
>>   based on gecko 17 (ie mozilla-esr17 repo + comm-release)
>> - this is different from 17.0.xESR releases, there will be more stuff
>>   added to those 17.0.x release (ie minor features, more non-critical
>> bugfixes that are not taken for ESR)
>> - there will still be a 18 beta & 19 beta (etc) until 24 beta. A real
>>   release built from mozilla-beta + comm-beta repositories, where new
>> 'major community-contributed features' will bake, and tracks
>> firefox/gecko development.
>>
>> This is already confusing enough in terms of PR & branches, so i'll
>> stop here.
>>
>> What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
>> the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
>> adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
>> closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
>> (no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)
>>
>> I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.
>>
>> Landry

Re: thunderbird future releases

Marcus MERIGHI
[hidden email] (Landry Breuil), 2013.01.04 (Fri) 22:50 (CET):
> What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
> the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
> adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
> closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
> (no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)
> I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.

to me it is important that:
- some add-ons (caldav[1], carddav[2]) work;
- I use the version I have on my customers ms win machines.

I suppose that means I am in favour of the 17.0.x, 24.0.x path.

[1] lightning
    http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/lightning/
[2] SOGo Connector Thunderbird extension
    http://www.sogo.nu/downloads/frontends.html
    http://www.sogo.nu/files/downloads/extensions/sogo-connector-17.0.2.xpi

Bye and thanks, Marcus

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 11:21:10AM +0100, MERIGHI Marcus wrote:

> [hidden email] (Landry Breuil), 2013.01.04 (Fri) 22:50 (CET):
> > What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
> > the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
> > adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
> > closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
> > (no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)
> > I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.
>
> to me it is important that:
> - some add-ons (caldav[1], carddav[2]) work;
> - I use the version I have on my customers ms win machines.
>
> I suppose that means I am in favour of the 17.0.x, 24.0.x path.
>
> [1] lightning
>     http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/lightning/
> [2] SOGo Connector Thunderbird extension
>     http://www.sogo.nu/downloads/frontends.html
>     http://www.sogo.nu/files/downloads/extensions/sogo-connector-17.0.2.xpi

Guess what - i also use extensively caldav/carddav & lightning + sogo
connector. so whichever way it goes, i'll try to ensure that part works :)

That said, by popular demand i think i'll keep the thunderbird port on
the 17.0.x series for the time being. Early adopters/testers will still
be able to pick the next betas from my git repo anyway..

Landry

Re: thunderbird future releases

Voland Levit
On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:50:48PM +0100, Landry Breuil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as some of you may have heard, mozilla decided to slow down the
> development of thundebird (or rather, reattribute the resources)
> (more background here
> https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/07/06/thunderbird-stability-and-community-innovation/,
> more actual releng details here
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Proposal:_New_Release_and_Governance_Model)
>
> what that means now for end users in the coming months :
> - there will be no tb 18 release along fx 18. And that until 24, where
>   there will be a new 'major' release built from gecko 24.
> - there will be a tb 17.0.x release along each fx release. It will be
>   based on gecko 17 (ie mozilla-esr17 repo + comm-release)
> - this is different from 17.0.xESR releases, there will be more stuff
>   added to those 17.0.x release (ie minor features, more non-critical
> bugfixes that are not taken for ESR)
> - there will still be a 18 beta & 19 beta (etc) until 24 beta. A real
>   release built from mozilla-beta + comm-beta repositories, where new
> 'major community-contributed features' will bake, and tracks
> firefox/gecko development.
>
> This is already confusing enough in terms of PR & branches, so i'll
> stop here.
>
> What do thunderbird users want for the openbsd port ? rather tracking
> the 17.0.x release (and 24.0.x release after that..) ? or be a bit
> adventurous & use the -beta releases which track mozilla/firefox more
> closely ? Fwiw i use the betas daily, and they work fine.
> (no i WONT make two separate ports. get real.)
>
> I'd love to hear feedback from people who care.

I'am personaly for old stable release.