thanks for 4.6!

John Cosimano
received my pre-order about the same time as others.

just upgraded 3 machines (from 4.5) in less than 90 minutes. my machines
aren't super-customized, so sysmerge(8) works like a dream for me. i
de-installed screen(1) and will start using tmux(1), as it's in base.
thanks for the effort of doing that---screen was always among the very
first packages i installed on a virgin system.

currently these machines don't handle any mail, but in the coming
months, at least one will be so i look forward to exercising smtpd(8) a
bit.

grazie mille!

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Brad Tilley-4
> de-installed screen(1) and will start using tmux(1), as it's in base.
> thanks for the effort of doing that---screen was always among the very
> first packages i installed on a virgin system.

Same here. For the tmux newbies rather than the Ctrl+A keys use Ctrl+B
otherwise, the syntax of tmux is very similar to screen. Nice to have
it in the base OS.

Brad

Re: thanks for 4.6!

John Cosimano
--- Brad Tilley [Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 01:16:23PM -0400]: ---
> > de-installed screen(1) and will start using tmux(1), as it's in base.
> > thanks for the effort of doing that---screen was always among the very
> > first packages i installed on a virgin system.
>
> Same here. For the tmux newbies rather than the Ctrl+A keys use Ctrl+B
> otherwise, the syntax of tmux is very similar to screen. Nice to have
> it in the base OS.

i seem to remember a thread here on misc@ that was meant to be a tmux
guide for experienced screen users. haven't dug that up yet, as i'm not
sure if i'm better off starting anew or trying to make this as much like
screen as i possibly can. leaning toward a forklift upgrade of my
terminal multiplexing skills.

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Brad Tilley-4
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM, John Cosimano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> i seem to remember a thread here on misc@ that was meant to be a tmux
> guide for experienced screen users.

One thing that screen got right is the A key. It's a lot closer to
Ctrl than B. So far, key proximity has been my only annoyance. I'm
guessing that can be customized.

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Han Boetes
Brad Tilley wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM, John Cosimano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > i seem to remember a thread here on misc@ that was meant to be a tmux
> > guide for experienced screen users.
>
> One thing that screen got right is the A key. It's a lot closer
> to Ctrl than B. So far, key proximity has been my only
> annoyance. I'm guessing that can be customized.

Try this for inspiration:

set -g default-command zsh
set -g status-right "#(statusbar_right)"

# Statusbar properties.
set -g display-time 3000
set -g status-bg black
set -g status-fg cyan
set-window-option -g window-status-current-attr bright,reverse
set-window-option -g window-status-current-bg cyan
set-window-option -g window-status-current-fg black

# Use c-t instead of c-b as the prefix
unbind C-b
set -g prefix C-t
bind C-t send-prefix
bind t send-prefix

# Bind function keys.
bind -n F1 select-window -t 1
bind -n F2 select-window -t 2
bind -n F3 select-window -t 3
bind -n F4 select-window -t 4
bind -n F5 select-window -t 5
bind -n F6 select-window -t 6
bind -n F7 select-window -t 7
bind -n F8 select-window -t 8

# All new windows started at startup.
new "emacs --daemon"
neww irssi
neww mutt
neww
neww
neww
neww
neww

select-window -t 1

# Han

Re: thanks for 4.6!

John Cosimano
--- Brad Tilley [Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 02:52:10PM -0400]: ---
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM, John Cosimano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > i seem to remember a thread here on misc@ that was meant to be a tmux
> > guide for experienced screen users.
>
> One thing that screen got right is the A key. It's a lot closer to
> Ctrl than B.

*especially* if you have a proper keyboard with the ctrl key in the
right location, ie, directly left of the `a'.

just got ahold of a Sun Type 6 USB kbd and loving it.

Re: thanks for 4.6!

William Boshuck
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 01:45:41PM -0400, John Cosimano wrote:

> --- Brad Tilley [Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 01:16:23PM -0400]: ---
> > > de-installed screen(1) and will start using tmux(1), as it's in base.
> > > thanks for the effort of doing that---screen was always among the very
> > > first packages i installed on a virgin system.
> >
> > Same here. For the tmux newbies rather than the Ctrl+A keys use Ctrl+B
> > otherwise, the syntax of tmux is very similar to screen. Nice to have
> > it in the base OS.
>
> i seem to remember a thread here on misc@ that was meant to be a tmux
> guide for experienced screen users. haven't dug that up yet, as i'm not
> sure if i'm better off starting anew

I'd recommend starting anew.  tmux works differently
from screen in ways you can use to your advantage, it's
been better than screen for a while, and it is always
improving.  The man page is typically excellent, so you
can learn au besoin on the fly.

-wb

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Daniel Bolgheroni-4
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, John Cosimano wrote:

> received my pre-order about the same time as others.
>
> just upgraded 3 machines (from 4.5) in less than 90 minutes. my machines
> aren't super-customized, so sysmerge(8) works like a dream for me. i
> de-installed screen(1) and will start using tmux(1), as it's in base.
> thanks for the effort of doing that---screen was always among the very
> first packages i installed on a virgin system.

tmux just rocks. I missed it A LOT in machines with 4.5 or earlier.

Daniel Bolgheroni
FEI - Faculdade de Engenharia Industrial
http://www.dbolgheroni.eng.br/mykey

ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
 against HTML e-mail   X
                      / \

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Nick Holland
John Cosimano wrote:

> --- Brad Tilley [Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 02:52:10PM -0400]: ---
>> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM, John Cosimano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > i seem to remember a thread here on misc@ that was meant to be a tmux
>> > guide for experienced screen users.
>>
>> One thing that screen got right is the A key. It's a lot closer to
>> Ctrl than B.
>
> *especially* if you have a proper keyboard with the ctrl key in the
> right location, ie, directly left of the `a'.
>
> just got ahold of a Sun Type 6 USB kbd and loving it.

Funny, I always disliked CTRL-A being taken by screen, since it was
so handy to go back to the beginning of the command line in ksh.
But then, I make a lot of typing errors at the beginning of command
lines, I guess. :)

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Nick Holland
William Boshuck wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 01:45:41PM -0400, John Cosimano wrote:
>> --- Brad Tilley [Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 01:16:23PM -0400]: ---
>> >
>> > Same here. For the tmux newbies rather than the Ctrl+A keys use Ctrl+B
>> > otherwise, the syntax of tmux is very similar to screen. Nice to have
>> > it in the base OS.
>>
>> i seem to remember a thread here on misc@ that was meant to be a tmux
>> guide for experienced screen users. haven't dug that up yet, as i'm not
>> sure if i'm better off starting anew
>
> I'd recommend starting anew.  tmux works differently
> from screen in ways you can use to your advantage, it's
> been better than screen for a while, and it is always
> improving.  The man page is typically excellent, so you
> can learn au besoin on the fly.
>
> -wb

May I also suggest the FAQ article written by tmux author Nicholas
Marriott?
   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#tmux

Nick.

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Brad Tilley-4
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Nick Holland
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> May I also suggest the FAQ article written by tmux author Nicholas
> Marriott?
> B  http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#tmux

Nice. My use of screen was very limited. So just knowing to use Ctrl+b
rather than Ctrl+a was good enough. That and typing 'tmux attach'
rather than 'screen -r' to get back into detached sessions. Those two
small realizations got me 100% switched over to tmux.

Brad

Re: thanks for 4.6!

patrick keshishian
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Nick Holland
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> John Cosimano wrote:
>> --- Brad Tilley [Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 02:52:10PM -0400]: ---
>>>
>>> One thing that screen got right is the A key. It's a lot closer to
>>> Ctrl than B.
>>
>> *especially* if you have a proper keyboard with the ctrl key in the
>> right location, ie, directly left of the `a'.
>>
>> just got ahold of a Sun Type 6 USB kbd and loving it.
>
> Funny, I always disliked CTRL-A being taken by screen, since it was
> so handy to go back to the beginning of the command line in ksh.
> But then, I make a lot of typing errors at the beginning of command
> lines, I guess. :)

I agree. C-a always annoyed me in screen for the same reason as you
bring up: positioning to the beginning of the shell command. C-b is
almost as annoying in vi when i want to page up ;) ... but the C-b
prefix is configurable as pointed out in the excellent faq you pointed
out:

>    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#tmux

Cheers,
--patrick

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Matthias Kilian
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:00:28PM -0700, patrick keshishian wrote:
> > Funny, I always disliked CTRL-A being taken by screen, since it was
> > so handy to go back to the beginning of the command line in ksh.
> > But then, I make a lot of typing errors at the beginning of command
> > lines, I guess. :)
>
> I agree. C-a always annoyed me in screen for the same reason as you
> bring up: positioning to the beginning of the shell command. C-b is
> almost as annoying in vi when i want to page up ;) ...

Some people should really give vi-mode in ksh a try ;-)

Ciao,
        Kili

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Daniel Bolgheroni-4
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Brad Tilley wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM, John Cosimano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One thing that screen got right is the A key. It's a lot closer to
> Ctrl than B. So far, key proximity has been my only annoyance. I'm
> guessing that can be customized.

I resisted to C-b until now, but finally changed to C-a. Yes, it's
easier.

Daniel Bolgheroni
FEI - Faculdade de Engenharia Industrial
http://www.dbolgheroni.eng.br/mykey

ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
 against HTML e-mail   X
                      / \

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Marco Peereboom
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 07:22:27AM +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:00:28PM -0700, patrick keshishian wrote:
> > > Funny, I always disliked CTRL-A being taken by screen, since it was
> > > so handy to go back to the beginning of the command line in ksh.
> > > But then, I make a lot of typing errors at the beginning of command
> > > lines, I guess. :)
> >
> > I agree. C-a always annoyed me in screen for the same reason as you
> > bring up: positioning to the beginning of the shell command. C-b is
> > almost as annoying in vi when i want to page up ;) ...
>
> Some people should really give vi-mode in ksh a try ;-)

As a vi user I can't deal with it....

The reason being that you have to use j k to go up and down in the
history.  Life would be bliss if one could reassign the arrow keys.

> Ciao,
> Kili

Re: thanks for 4.6!

William Boshuck
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 09:54:20PM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:
> William Boshuck wrote:
> >
> > The man page is typically excellent, so you can learn
> >  au besoin on the fly.
>
> May I also suggest the FAQ article written by tmux author Nicholas
> Marriott?
>    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#tmux

A really great page.  Thanks.

Re: thanks for 4.6!

William Boshuck
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 07:22:27AM +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:00:28PM -0700, patrick keshishian wrote:
> > > Funny, I always disliked CTRL-A being taken by screen, since it was
> > > so handy to go back to the beginning of the command line in ksh.
> > > But then, I make a lot of typing errors at the beginning of command
> > > lines, I guess. :)
> >
> > I agree. C-a always annoyed me in screen for the same reason as you
> > bring up: positioning to the beginning of the shell command. C-b is
> > almost as annoying in vi when i want to page up ;) ...
>
> Some people should really give vi-mode in ksh a try ;-)

Yes, and then ` makes a nice prefix on a sun
keyboard (mirror image of Esc and easy to slap
twice).

Re: thanks for 4.6!

ropers
Hi misc,

I'd like to share a few images with you. You'll probably go "WTF?" at
first, but bear with with me, it's going to become clear in the end:

1. This is the entrance to my flat: http://imgur.com/C7XN7.jpg
2. This is my vehicle: http://imgur.com/o0FDH.jpg
3. This is my couch: http://imgur.com/QXpgB.jpg It's really a lilo
that's folded and tied down in place, on top of corrugated cardboard
boxes, and covered with a blanket.
4. This is some more of my furniture: http://imgur.com/Nwg9m.jpg
5. This is my portable music player: http://imgur.com/f1uzB.jpg
6. This is my best monitor: http://imgur.com/hZQj6.jpg After turning
it on, you often have to smack the top of it, otherwise the image will
not display correctly.
7. This is my firewall: http://imgur.com/mvhuM.jpg Yes, those are ISA slots.
8. This is my laptop. My *only* laptop: http://imgur.com/Tu1Ft.jpg
9. And *THIS* is my very own, brand spankin new OpenBSD 4.6 CD set:
http://imgur.com/YIEh7.jpg *HELL YEAH!*

(I especially like the evolution poster. First thing I'm doing is
scanning that and printing it out much bigger.)

Thank you! :)

Thank you -- even though I personally can't wait for wearable
computing and head-mounted displays to become widely available. :)
Also, I'm actually quite fond of "massive, outdated computer
circuitry". :-P But I guess there's a difference between
Turing-complete *computers* and DRM and blob-infested *computing
appliances* that wipe your ass and smack it too if you dare to want
something that the usual RICOs don't like.

Thanks and regards,
--ropers

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Paul Irofti-3
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:01:47AM -0500, Marco Peereboom wrote:

> > > I agree. C-a always annoyed me in screen for the same reason as you
> > > bring up: positioning to the beginning of the shell command. C-b is
> > > almost as annoying in vi when i want to page up ;) ...
> >
> > Some people should really give vi-mode in ksh a try ;-)
>
> As a vi user I can't deal with it....
>
> The reason being that you have to use j k to go up and down in the
> history.  Life would be bliss if one could reassign the arrow keys.

Weird, its that which I miss most when I get to an unconfigured shell.
First thing is shoot set -o vi and enjoy.

And before you shout dvorak, I also used this on qwerty-days :-)

Re: thanks for 4.6!

Marco Peereboom
dvorak is make belief benefit.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:19:43PM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:01:47AM -0500, Marco Peereboom wrote:

> > > Some people should really give vi-mode in ksh a try ;-)
> >
> > As a vi user I can't deal with it....
> >
> > The reason being that you have to use j k to go up and down in the
> > history.  Life would be bliss if one could reassign the arrow keys.
>
> Weird, its that which I miss most when I get to an unconfigured shell.
> First thing is shoot set -o vi and enjoy.
>
> And before you shout dvorak, I also used this on qwerty-days :-)

12