thank you for 6.6 and bsd.rd

Jonathan Thornburg-4
I recently reinstalled my main laptop (which was at 6.5-stable/amd64)
with 6.6/amd64.  Almost everything "just worked", and the things that
didn't were 3rd-party stuff not from OpenBSD.  A big thank-you to everyone!

And... a specific itch-you-scratched-very-nicely I'd like to praise:

For the past few years I've usually (re)installed OpenBSD by burning a
boot DVD and then booting that.  But this time I found myself with the
combination of a broken built-in cd/dvd drive, and a computer which didn't
seem to want to boot from USB even after fiddling with bios settings.
Being able to copy the new (6.6) bsd.rd to an existing filesystem on the
(running) old OpenBSD system, then boot that bsd.rd to install, was
really really nice.  Thank you!

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove color- to reply]" <[hidden email]>
   "He wakes me up every morning meowing to death because he wants to go
                           explaining why she named her cat "Brexit")

Re: thank you for 6.6 and bsd.rd

Theo de Raadt-2
Jonathan Thornburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently reinstalled my main laptop (which was at 6.5-stable/amd64)
> with 6.6/amd64.  Almost everything "just worked", and the things that
> didn't were 3rd-party stuff not from OpenBSD.  A big thank-you to everyone!
>
> And... a specific itch-you-scratched-very-nicely I'd like to praise:
>
> For the past few years I've usually (re)installed OpenBSD by burning a
> boot DVD and then booting that.  But this time I found myself with the
> combination of a broken built-in cd/dvd drive, and a computer which didn't
> seem to want to boot from USB even after fiddling with bios settings.
> Being able to copy the new (6.6) bsd.rd to an existing filesystem on the
> (running) old OpenBSD system, then boot that bsd.rd to install, was
> really really nice.  Thank you!

well you missed out

for 6.5 onwards, all you had to was type

    sysmerge
    sysupgrade

for 6.6 onwards you'll only need sysupgrade

Re: thank you for 6.6 and bsd.rd

VanL
"Theo de Raadt" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Jonathan Thornburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Being able to copy the new (6.6) bsd.rd to an existing filesystem on the
>> (running) old OpenBSD system, then boot that bsd.rd to install, was
>> really really nice.  Thank you!
>
> well you missed out
>
> for 6.5 onwards, all you had to was type
>
>     sysmerge
>     sysupgrade
>
> for 6.6 onwards you'll only need sysupgrade

I really appreciated that and I wanted to donate or buy a summer white
men's medium long sleeve polo shirt with OpenBSD Cyberpunk artwork. See
the store for SpaceX or ULA merchandise for an idea.

The payment mechanism for making a donation isn't as easy as Wikipedia's
or the Internet Archive's; and the shopping experience isn't as easy as
a Shopify-like polished frontend.

As a use case, I was able to navigate Core Electronics¹ to buy a
Raspberry Pi 4 B with Ice Tower Cooler but failed to discover the PoE
option I never knew I really, really wanted and forgot to include
Ethernet cable.

Thank you!

¹ https://core-electronics.com.au
  example of useable shopping experience by a little startup
  I am a happy customer of.

VanL. 🐞

Re: thank you for 6.6 and bsd.rd

eriklauritsen
Theo de Raadt-2 wrote
> Jonathan Thornburg &lt;

> jthorn4242@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> I recently reinstalled my main laptop (which was at 6.5-stable/amd64)
>> with 6.6/amd64.  Almost everything "just worked", and the things that
>> didn't were 3rd-party stuff not from OpenBSD.  A big thank-you to
>> everyone!
>>
>> And... a specific itch-you-scratched-very-nicely I'd like to praise:
>>
>> For the past few years I've usually (re)installed OpenBSD by burning a
>> boot DVD and then booting that.  But this time I found myself with the
>> combination of a broken built-in cd/dvd drive, and a computer which
>> didn't
>> seem to want to boot from USB even after fiddling with bios settings.
>> Being able to copy the new (6.6) bsd.rd to an existing filesystem on the
>> (running) old OpenBSD system, then boot that bsd.rd to install, was
>> really really nice.  Thank you!
>
> well you missed out
>
> for 6.5 onwards, all you had to was type
>
>     sysmerge
>     sysupgrade
>
> for 6.6 onwards you'll only need sysupgrade

If I'm not mistaken there was a big discussion some years back with some
guy, Rico or something, who suggested that OpenBSD got something similar to
apt from Debian. I remember everyone telling him that was a bad idea and
eventually Theo asked him to shut up, and oh, now we kindda have it. Go
figured, not such a bad idea after all.

Sent from: http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/openbsd-user-misc-f3.html

Re: thank you for 6.6 and bsd.rd

Christian Weisgerber
On 2019-12-20, "Theo de Raadt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> well you missed out
>
> for 6.5 onwards, all you had to was type
>
>     sysmerge
>     sysupgrade

I think that was intended to read

      syspatch
      sysupgrade

> for 6.6 onwards you'll only need sysupgrade

Re: thank you for 6.6 and bsd.rd

Roderick

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> for 6.5 onwards, all you had to was type
>
>     sysmerge
>     sysupgrade

I read somewhere that something like this was coming for 6.6, but
I remember that I followed the instructions for upgrading from 6.5
to 6.6, and this was to be done manually, I had to delete acording
to the instructions some files.

Since upgrading twice a year is something like a must for OpenBSD,
this new feature is more than welcome, although manual upgrading
was never something difficult. Thanks.

Rod.

Re: thank you for 6.6 and bsd.rd

Sebastian Benoit
Roderick([hidden email]) on 2019.12.21 19:50:03 +0000:

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>
> > for 6.5 onwards, all you had to was type
> >
> >     sysmerge
> >     sysupgrade
>
> I read somewhere that something like this was coming for 6.6, but
> I remember that I followed the instructions for upgrading from 6.5
> to 6.6, and this was to be done manually, I had to delete acording
> to the instructions some files.
>
> Since upgrading twice a year is something like a must for OpenBSD,
> this new feature is more than welcome, although manual upgrading
> was never something difficult. Thanks.

You should still read the upgrade guide and indeed you will have to remove
some things yourself, in addition to telling you about config and command
option changes. For 65 -> 66 there were instructions to remove some old
(perl) manpages and old X drivers as well some include files.

Nothing really problematic, the worst thing that can happen is that you read
an outdated manpage or some 3rd party software will have problems because of
an outdated .h file.