tedu ports/plan9/sam

Gleydson Soares-3
I am inclined to move the editor sam to attic. Our in tree version is
outdated. The latest [1] and ‘official’ sam version is included as
part of Plan 9 from User Space aka plan9port -
(ports/plan9/plan9port).

sam's users can just install the plan9port...

objections?

[1] - http://sam.cat-v.org/

// gsoares

Re: tedu ports/plan9/sam

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2015/09/25 15:55, Gleydson Soares wrote:

> I am inclined to move the editor sam to attic. Our in tree version is
> outdated. The latest [1] and ‘official’ sam version is included as
> part of Plan 9 from User Space aka plan9port -
> (ports/plan9/plan9port).
>
> sam's users can just install the plan9port...
>
> objections?
>
> [1] - http://sam.cat-v.org/
>

> // gsoares

Makes sense to me.

Should we setup an automatic upgrade path in quirks and plan9port's
PLIST (@conflict/@pkgpath)? Maybe also worth installing a courtesy
symlink to /usr/local/bin in plan9port for this, that way any
existing users shouldn't need to touch anything...

Re: tedu ports/plan9/sam

Gleydson Soares-3
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Makes sense to me.
>
> Should we setup an automatic upgrade path in quirks and plan9port's
> PLIST (@conflict/@pkgpath)? Maybe also worth installing a courtesy
> symlink to /usr/local/bin in plan9port for this, that way any
> existing users shouldn't need to touch anything...

yup. sounds good.

Markus, are you OK with the removal ?

// gsoares

Re: tedu ports/plan9/sam

Pascal Stumpf
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 20:31:01 +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2015/09/25 15:55, Gleydson Soares wrote:
> > I am inclined to move the editor sam to attic. Our in tree version is
> > outdated. The latest [1] and ‘official’ sam version is included as
> > part of Plan 9 from User Space aka plan9port -
> > (ports/plan9/plan9port).
> >
> > sam's users can just install the plan9port...
> >
> > objections?

None from me.  If there are users that absolutely cannot switch to
plan9port (e.g. because of architecture support), they should speak up
now.

> > [1] - http://sam.cat-v.org/
> >

> > // gsoares
> >

> Makes sense to me.
>
> Should we setup an automatic upgrade path in quirks and plan9port's
> PLIST (@conflict/@pkgpath)? Maybe also worth installing a courtesy
> symlink to /usr/local/bin in plan9port for this, that way any
> existing users shouldn't need to touch anything...

Not sure if I'd want to special-case sam like that.  It's not done for
any other program, so I'd prefer to just have people cope and set PLAN9
and PATH appropriately in their environment.  Also, we'd have to pull in
at least samterm and samsave into /usr/local/bin, and that's where it
gets messy.