sysupgrade ignores the sets selected from install (6.5 -> 6.6)

sysupgrade ignores the sets selected from install (6.5 -> 6.6)

Frédéric Dhieux
Hi OpenBSD team,

I would like to report a problem I have, we have in production many OpenBSD where we remove X*, game* and comp* at the install.

Everything is fine except sysupgrade adds every sets again when I try to upgrade my OpenBSD version. Is it possible for sysupgrade to preserve the sets selected during install ? (or at least ask to select which one to install during the upgrade procress)

Thank you for your help,

Best regards,
Frederic Dhieux

Re: sysupgrade ignores the sets selected from install (6.5 -> 6.6)

Bryan Steele-2
On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 03:37:14PM +0000, Frédéric Dhieux wrote:

> Hi OpenBSD team,
>
> I would like to report a problem I have, we have in production many OpenBSD where we remove X*, game* and comp* at the install.
>
> Everything is fine except sysupgrade adds every sets again when I try to upgrade my OpenBSD version. Is it possible for sysupgrade to preserve the sets selected during install ? (or at least ask to select which one to install during the upgrade procress)
>

> Thank you for your help,
>
> Best regards,
> Frederic Dhieux

No, this has already come up on the lists before.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=156932725121978&w=2

On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 07:55:40PM -0500, Bryan Steele wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 03:37:14PM +0000, Frédéric Dhieux wrote:
> > Hi OpenBSD team,
> >
> > I would like to report a problem I have, we have in production many OpenBSD where we remove X*, game* and comp* at the install.
> >
> > Everything is fine except sysupgrade adds every sets again when I try to upgrade my OpenBSD version. Is it possible for sysupgrade to preserve the sets selected during install ? (or at least ask to select which one to install during the upgrade procress)
> >

> > Thank you for your help,
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Frederic Dhieux
>
> No, this has already come up on the lists before.
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=156932725121978&w=2

To clarify, if you're doing non-default installs, you will need to
fetch and boot bsd.rd and upgrade manually. The sysupgrade(8) utility
is provided as a convenience, but doesn't support all setups.

Re: sysupgrade ignores the sets selected from install (6.5 -> 6.6)

Theo de Raadt-2
Frédéric Dhieux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi OpenBSD team,
>
> I would like to report a problem I have, we have in production many OpenBSD where we remove X*, game* and comp* at the install.
>
> Everything is fine except sysupgrade adds every sets again when I try to upgrade my OpenBSD version. Is it possible for sysupgrade to preserve the sets selected during install ? (or at least ask to select which one to install during the upgrade procress)

that's the situation for now.  This is new code.

We'll see about it later.  Still collecting feedback to develop the right
way to go.

Re: sysupgrade ignores the sets selected from install (6.5 -> 6.6)

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 03:37:14PM +0000, Frédéric Dhieux wrote:

> Hi OpenBSD team,
>
> I would like to report a problem I have, we have in production many OpenBSD where we remove X*, game* and comp* at the install.
>
> Everything is fine except sysupgrade adds every sets again when I try to upgrade my OpenBSD version. Is it possible for sysupgrade to preserve the sets selected during install ? (or at least ask to select which one to install during the upgrade procress)
>

> Thank you for your help,
>
> Best regards,
> Frederic Dhieux

Hi Frederic.

No need for sysupgrade.

ftp -MV -o /bsd.upgrade http://${MIRROR}/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/${ARCH}/bsd.rd
chmod 0700 /bsd.upgrade

cat <<__EOT >/auto_upgrade.conf
Location of sets = http
HTTP Server = ${MIRROR}
Server directory = pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/${ARCH}
... => put the other answers you need (sets list)
__EOT

reboot

Antoine

On 2020/02/06 15:37, Frédéric Dhieux wrote:

> Hi OpenBSD team,
>
> I would like to report a problem I have, we have in production many OpenBSD where we remove X*, game* and comp* at the install.
>
> Everything is fine except sysupgrade adds every sets again when I try to upgrade my OpenBSD version. Is it possible for sysupgrade to preserve the sets selected during install ? (or at least ask to select which one to install during the upgrade procress)
>

> Thank you for your help,
>
> Best regards,
> Frederic Dhieux

This is what you can do now:

sysupgrade -n
rm /home/_sysupgrade/{game,comp,x}*
reboot

Otherwise: it's just a shell script, you can easily copy/modify it.

Re: sysupgrade ignores the sets selected from install (6.5 -> 6.6)

Frédéric Dhieux
Hi Theo, Antoine and Stuart,

Thank you for your replies. I didn't check into sysupgrade file, it's easy to change it you're right and thank you for the other method too, I will apply this to our upgrades.

Best regards,
Frederic