sysmerge equivalent to upgrade.site?

Chris Bennett
I am following the same procedure for each snapshot I install.
Download files to one USB hard drive, boot bsd.rd, install to other USB
flash drive and reboot.
Having sysmerge run automatically is great. I have screwed up many times
in the past and forgotten to run it. Thanks!!!

But I have a problem, the install are on another drive that's not even
mounted. So I have to mount, cd to directory and manually run sysmerge.

Could a sysmerge.site file be added to use commands I can have done so
that, for example, a read-only partition is remounted rw, other drive is
mounted and then sysmerge uses that directory?

Thanks,
Chris Bennett

Re: sysmerge equivalent to upgrade.site?

lists-2
Sat, 4 Jun 2016 12:37:14 -0500 Chris Bennett
<[hidden email]>
> I am following the same procedure for each snapshot I install.
> Download files to one USB hard drive, boot bsd.rd, install to other USB
> flash drive and reboot.
>
> But I have a problem, the install are on another drive that's not even
> mounted. So I have to mount, cd to directory and manually run sysmerge.

Here is an idea: download to your home directory on the laptop the latest
snapshot and install on the main hard disk in the system.  This also works
great for consecutive upgrades from newer snapshots by copying over bsd.rd
in the root of the disk and booting from it.  Installing to a USB disk is,
very inconvenient for daily usage, it further limits you in the long run.

Later, for all systems this can be further improved to auto-upgrade
from the local network.  This is fully automatic, works flawless and
requires you to only manually review sysmerge and then upgrade pkgs.

All my systems run only OpenBSD installed permanently on primary drives.

On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 09:05:09PM +0300, [hidden email] wrote:

> Sat, 4 Jun 2016 12:37:14 -0500 Chris Bennett
> <[hidden email]>
> > I am following the same procedure for each snapshot I install.
> > Download files to one USB hard drive, boot bsd.rd, install to other USB
> > flash drive and reboot.
> >
> > But I have a problem, the install are on another drive that's not even
> > mounted. So I have to mount, cd to directory and manually run sysmerge.
>
> Here is an idea: download to your home directory on the laptop the latest
> snapshot and install on the main hard disk in the system.  This also works
> great for consecutive upgrades from newer snapshots by copying over bsd.rd
> in the root of the disk and booting from it.  Installing to a USB disk is,
> very inconvenient for daily usage, it further limits you in the long run.
>
> Later, for all systems this can be further improved to auto-upgrade
> from the local network.  This is fully automatic, works flawless and
> requires you to only manually review sysmerge and then upgrade pkgs.
>
> All my systems run only OpenBSD installed permanently on primary drives.
>
> > Thanks

Yes, I fully agree. Desktop hard drives are well suited to handling all
of the bumping and banging of traveling between countries by bus or
plane. And the slamming onto and off of security X-ray scanners is
totally harmless. I will just throw away my 2TB usb HARD DRIVE. After
all, OpenBSD doesn't support the USB3 in my brand new computer
multi-architecture, multi-country system. It really sucks having to use
a usb FLASH DRIVE to keep it's src, xenocara and ports up to date even
when the snapshot is broken, not like I could mount it on another
architecture and cvs up.

That was fun. I can be an ass too. Get real, dude(ette)? I run older
cobbled together hardware that helps keep both the new and old hardware
working. Someone has to do it, or serious mistakes could slip by.

Sorry to everyone for all this noise, he/she/they get my dander up
sometimes. It's cathartic but rude of me.

Chris

Re: sysmerge equivalent to upgrade.site?

Chris Bennett
I should mention that not just with sysmerge, but anything else, I have
partitions mounted read-only on boot. Short of editing fstab before a
new snapshot, I would like to make all of the system partitions rw.
So, would something need to be done even earlier on?

Or, if nobody really wants this, should I just right a script to get run
when securelevel=0?

I'm open to either idea. I just wanted to bring my situation to light in
case others might want a solution in base.

Thanks,
Chris Bennett