sysmerge at scale

Daniel Jakots-6
Hi,

I run a bunch of -current VM and I manage them with ansible. When
there's a file that gets updated in src/etc, I check if it matters for
me and if it doesn't, I ignore it. Then, eventually I sync the file in
my ansible repo with upstream's one. But even then sysmerge keeps
nagging me with:
Subject: example.com rc.sysmerge output

---- /etc/login.conf unhandled, re-run sysmerge to merge the new version

and I usually end up running sysmerge manually with 'd'.

Any advice on how to deal with that? How do you do it?

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: sysmerge at scale

Raf Czlonka-2
On Sun, Oct 06, 2019 at 07:34:41PM BST, Daniel Jakots wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run a bunch of -current VM and I manage them with ansible. When
> there's a file that gets updated in src/etc, I check if it matters for
> me and if it doesn't, I ignore it. Then, eventually I sync the file in
> my ansible repo with upstream's one. But even then sysmerge keeps
> nagging me with:
> Subject: example.com rc.sysmerge output
>
> ---- /etc/login.conf unhandled, re-run sysmerge to merge the new version
>
> and I usually end up running sysmerge manually with 'd'.
>
> Any advice on how to deal with that? How do you do it?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Any files, that sysmerge(8) would complain about that I modified
by hand, I put into /etc/sysmerge.ignore[0].

Every now and again, I run 'sysmerge -d' on one of my machines and
then update the config files in SaltStack, which I use to manage
them with.

[0] https://man.openbsd.org/sysmerge#FILES

Hope that helps.

Cheers,