syslog and interfaces

Lorenzo Crapovich
Hi,
after the reading of syslog.conf (5) and syslogd (8), I can't find how to
disable syslog's listening on specifical interfaces.

Thanks

Re: syslog and interfaces

matteo filippetto
2011/4/19 Julien Dyie <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
> after the reading of syslog.conf (5) and syslogd (8), I can't find how to
> disable syslog's listening on specifical interfaces.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

it's not possible but of course you can use pf rules to block access
to port 514 on certain interface.

Or maybe you can try syslog-ng from ports
(http://openports.se/sysutils/syslog-ng)

Best regards

--
Matteo Filippetto
http://op83.blogspot.com

Re: syslog and interfaces

Joachim Schipper-2
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 09:08:52AM +0000, Julien Dyie wrote:
> Hi,
> after the reading of syslog.conf (5) and syslogd (8), I can't find how to
> disable syslog's listening on specifical interfaces.

syslogd always opens a UDP port, but it silently drops all traffic
unless you pass the -u option. Yes, this is a bit confusing.

                Joachim

--
PotD: x11/fvwm2,-main,i18n - multiple virtual desktop window manager, with icons
http://www.joachimschipper.nl/

Re: syslog and interfaces

Theo de Raadt
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 09:08:52AM +0000, Julien Dyie wrote:
> > Hi,
> > after the reading of syslog.conf (5) and syslogd (8), I can't find how to
> > disable syslog's listening on specifical interfaces.
>
> syslogd always opens a UDP port, but it silently drops all traffic
> unless you pass the -u option. Yes, this is a bit confusing.

It is NOT confusing.

It is fully documented.