sysctl modifications during install?

Scott Radvan
Hello misc,

I have been installing 4.0- beta snapshots via FTP on a few machines
(i386 and amd64) and after installation, one of the sysctl
modifications I always make is increasing net.inet.tcp.recvspace so I
can make full use of my 9Mbit ADSL2+ line.

While performing installs, I have discovered the sets are not
downloading at full speed (tested on multiple mirrors), and I have not
been able to change this sysctl setting during install, as after
escaping to a shell there is no sysctl binary to be found.

I'm aware I could be pre-preparing my own CDs with install sets and
using them.

But, out of curiosity, is there a reasoning for not including the
sysctl binary on the install image, and hence not allowing sysctl
modifications during the installation of these snapshots? Or am I
missing something which could allow the install to use all available
bandwidth?

Scott Radvan

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

Theo de Raadt

Besides that the install media are totally full?

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

Scott Radvan
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:40:45 -0600
Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > But, out of curiosity, is there a reasoning for not including the
> > sysctl binary on the install image, and hence not allowing sysctl
> > modifications during the installation of these snapshots?
>
> Besides that the install media are totally full?

Ok, hadn't considered that. I guess it may not make much sense to add
sysctl to just the snapshots, and not the release CDs.

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

--
Scott Radvan

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

Theo de Raadt
> > > But, out of curiosity, is there a reasoning for not including the
> > > sysctl binary on the install image, and hence not allowing sysctl
> > > modifications during the installation of these snapshots?
> >
> > Besides that the install media are totally full?
>
> Ok, hadn't considered that. I guess it may not make much sense to add
> sysctl to just the snapshots, and not the release CDs.

We could do so.  But it also increases the build time for making
snapshots, if we keep adding more special stuff to the build media.
Even when a bsd.rd's does not need to be tiny, we still try to keep
it small.

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

Matthew R. Dempsky
On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:38:19AM +1000, Scott Radvan wrote:
> Or am I missing something which could allow the install to use all
> available bandwidth?

Can you first choose S for shell, run the necessary sysctl commands,
then exit the shell and start the install process as usual?

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

Edd Barrett
On 25/08/06, Matthew R. Dempsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:38:19AM +1000, Scott Radvan wrote:
> > Or am I missing something which could allow the install to use all
> > available bandwidth?
>
> Can you first choose S for shell, run the necessary sysctl commands,
> then exit the shell and start the install process as usual?

Read the post again,

The binary is absent from the install media.

Regards

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 08:17:43PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> On 25/08/06, Matthew R. Dempsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Can you first choose S for shell, run the necessary sysctl commands,
> > then exit the shell and start the install process as usual?
>
> Read the post again,
>
> The binary is absent from the install media.

Sorry, you're right.  I misread.  :-(

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

Woodchuck-2
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Edd Barrett wrote:

> On 25/08/06, Matthew R. Dempsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:38:19AM +1000, Scott Radvan wrote:
> > > Or am I missing something which could allow the install to use all
> > > available bandwidth?
> >
> > Can you first choose S for shell, run the necessary sysctl commands,
> > then exit the shell and start the install process as usual?
> >

> Read the post again,
>
> The binary is absent from the install media.
>
> Regards

Why not newfs a floppy, cp the /sbin/sysctl to the floppy (it is
already staticly linked), mount the floppy during install... I think
you get the picture.  Would this not work?  It might stick with a
floppy install, I don't recall when install umounts the install
floppy so the device is free.  For a cdrom installation, I don't
see a problem, though.

As far as that goes, hard drives on the target machine might
be available during installation, too.  These can be usually
mounted/umounted at will.  Even if these hds are to be partitioned
and newfsed later, you can run progs from them during the early
phases of installation.

BSD installation is very flexible.

Dave
--
Experience runs an expensive school, but fools will learn in no other.
                       -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

Ingo Schwarze
Woodchuck schrieb am Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 03:19:38AM -0400:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Edd Barrett wrote:

>>> Can you first choose S for shell, run the necessary sysctl commands,
>>> then exit the shell and start the install process as usual?
>> Read the post again,
>> The binary is absent from the install media.

> Why not newfs a floppy, cp the /sbin/sysctl to the floppy (it is
> already staticly linked), mount the floppy during install...

Should work, if the OP has a floppy drive in the machine in question.
Except that floppies usually don't work.   =;-/

[...]
> I don't recall when install umounts the install floppy so the
> device is free.

Huh?  It never even mounts it, so no need to umount.
To learn why, take an install floppy and try to mount it...

> BSD installation is very flexible.

Yes, and in the case at hand, the OP is doing a (local area) network
install.  So he should perhaps just put the /sbin/sysctl binary
on his LAN FTP server.

During the install, before downloading the sets, he can escape to
a shell (there is even a prompt "Do you want to do any manual
network configuration?" at one point), get the binary via ftp
into the ramdisk, run it (if the install kernel does indeed support
the required sysctl, which i don't know) and continue with the install.

If he really cares about the speed of the install and the process
described does not take more time than he looses due to inefficient
bandwidth usage...

Just in case he has to install (42)^2 machines, he is probably
using custom /usr/src/distrib/miniroot/install.sh, install.sub,
and i386/common/install.md scripts anyway and can put the required
commands there.

Now the OP has probably had more suggestions than he hoped for...

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

Sam Chill
On 8/27/06, Ingo Schwarze <[hidden email]> wrote:
> During the install, before downloading the sets, he can escape to
> a shell (there is even a prompt "Do you want to do any manual
> network configuration?" at one point), get the binary via ftp
> into the ramdisk, run it (if the install kernel does indeed support
> the required sysctl, which i don't know) and continue with the install.
I tested a setup similar to this and the install kernel does indeed
support sysctl.
-Sam

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

François Chambaud
Scott Radvan <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello misc,
>

> I have been installing 4.0- beta snapshots via FTP on a few machines
> (i386 and amd64) and after installation, one of the sysctl
> modifications I always make is increasing net.inet.tcp.recvspace so I
> can make full use of my 9Mbit ADSL2+ line.

<snip>

When you say "increasing" what is the proportion?

I've a 20 Mbits ADSL2+ line here in France and the default value install
is 16384. How can I make full use of my ADSL2+ line?

$ sysctl net.inet.tcp.recvspace
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=16384

OpenBSD 3.9 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Aug 27 17:50:23 CEST 2006
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: Cyrix 6x86 (486-class)
real mem  = 200912896 (196204K)
avail mem = 176349184 (172216K)
using 2478 buffers containing 10149888 bytes (9912K) of memory
mainbus0 (root)
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(51) BIOS, date 06/12/98, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xf0490
apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
apm0: AC on, battery charge unknown
apm0: flags 30102 dobusy 0 doidle 1
pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 @ 0xf0000/0xab2
pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 @ 0xf0a40/112 (5 entries)
pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:01:0 ("SiS 85C503 System" rev 0x00)
pcibios0: PCI bus #1 is the last bus
bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0x8000
cpu0 at mainbus0
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (no bios)
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "SiS 5591 PCI" rev 0x02
pciide0 at pci0 dev 0 function 1 "SiS 5513 EIDE" rev 0xd0: 5597/5598: DMA, channel 0 configured to compatibility, channel 1 configured to compatibility
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <IC35L010AVER07-0>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 9541MB, 19541088 sectors
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0
scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <SAMSUNG, CD-ROM SCR-3231, S102> SCSI0 5/cdrom removable
cd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
pcib0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "SiS 85C503 System" rev 0x01
"SiS 5595 System" rev 0x00 at pci0 dev 1 function 1 not configured
ohci0 at pci0 dev 1 function 2 "SiS 5597/5598 USB" rev 0x11: irq 9, version 1.0, legacy support
usb0 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: SiS OHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ppb0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "SiS 86C201 AGP" rev 0x00
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "SiS 6326 VGA" rev 0x0b: aperture at 0xe7800000, size 0x400000
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
sis0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0 "NS DP83815 10/100" rev 0x00, DP83816A: irq 12, address 00:0f:b5:8f:6d:a9
nsphyter0 at sis0 phy 0: DP83815 10/100 PHY, rev. 1
sis1 at pci0 dev 11 function 0 "NS DP83815 10/100" rev 0x00, DP83816A: irq 10, address 00:0f:b5:8f:94:de
nsphyter1 at sis1 phy 0: DP83815 10/100 PHY, rev. 1
sis2 at pci0 dev 12 function 0 "NS DP83815 10/100" rev 0x00, DP83816A: irq 11, address 00:0f:b5:08:b5:ff
nsphyter2 at sis2 phy 0: DP83815 10/100 PHY, rev. 1
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
midi0 at pcppi0: <PC speaker>
spkr0 at pcppi0
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7
lm0 at isa0 port 0x290/8: LM78
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
pccom0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
pccom1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
biomask e365 netmask ff65 ttymask ffe7
pctr: no performance counters in CPU
dkcsum: wd0 matches BIOS drive 0x80
root on wd0a
rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302

Thanks in advance.

Francois
http://www.chambaud.org

Re: sysctl modifications during install?

Scott Radvan
On 31 Aug 2006 07:52:28 +0200
Frangois Chambaud <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Scott Radvan <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hello misc,
> >

> > I have been installing 4.0- beta snapshots via FTP on a few machines
> > (i386 and amd64) and after installation, one of the sysctl
> > modifications I always make is increasing net.inet.tcp.recvspace so
> > I can make full use of my 9Mbit ADSL2+ line.
> >
> <snip>
>
> When you say "increasing" what is the proportion?
>
> I've a 20 Mbits ADSL2+ line here in France and the default value
> install is 16384. How can I make full use of my ADSL2+ line?

I usually increase net.inet.tcp.recvspace to 65536 and this gives
me full use of my line. At 20Mbit however, you may need to experiment
with it a little more.

Hope that helps.

--
Scott Radvan