supermicro x8sil-f - only one fan detected after replug on the board

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

supermicro x8sil-f - only one fan detected after replug on the board

Jiri B-2
Hi,

I have supermicro x8sil-f (latest bios/ipmi fw) with 2 fans and it has started
to beep after a while when OS is up while it detected non-existing fans either
run at 0 RPM or in -2560 RPM.

OpenBSD itself used to detect both fans (though lm1.fanX numbers were different
to numbering from motherboard vendor).

I replugged both fans on the board and OpenBSD has detected only one fan now.
Why only one now, if it used to previously detected both?

# sysctl hw.sensors.lm1 | grep fan ; ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.1.250 -U ADMIN -P **** sensor list | grep '^FAN [1-2]'
hw.sensors.lm1.fan1=1028 RPM
FAN 1            | 955.000    | RPM        | ok    | 215.000   | 400.000   | 585.000   | 29260.000 | 29815.000 | 30370.000
FAN 2            | 1325.000   | RPM        | ok    | 215.000   | 400.000   | 585.000   | 29260.000 | 29815.000 | 30370.000

Could it be possible that openbsd lm driver messes something on the board
and makes the board think a non-existing fan runs -2560 RPM or 0 RPM?

After fans replug and OpenBSD detected only one fan, the board hasn't
started to beep yet. I don't get it...

OpenBSD 6.2-current (GENERIC.MP) #399: Fri Feb  2 18:28:58 MST 2018
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
real mem = 8564375552 (8167MB)
avail mem = 8297881600 (7913MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.6 @ 0x9f000 (68 entries)
bios0: vendor American Megatrends Inc. version "1.1" date 05/27/2010
bios0: Supermicro X8SIL
...
wbsio0 at isa0 port 0x2e/2: W83627DHG rev 0x25
lm1 at wbsio0 port 0xa10/8: W83627DHG

Thank you for a tip or workaround.

Jiri

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: supermicro x8sil-f - only one fan detected after replug on the board

lists-2
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 07:45:40 -0500 Jiri B <[hidden email]>
> Hi,
>
> I have supermicro x8sil-f (latest bios/ipmi fw) with 2 fans and it has started
> to beep after a while when OS is up while it detected non-existing fans either
> run at 0 RPM or in -2560 RPM.

Hi Jiri,

Does a manual restart of the BMC card (via IPMI) make a difference, how?

Kind regards,
Anton Lazarov

> OpenBSD itself used to detect both fans (though lm1.fanX numbers were different
> to numbering from motherboard vendor).
>
> I replugged both fans on the board and OpenBSD has detected only one fan now.
> Why only one now, if it used to previously detected both?
>
> # sysctl hw.sensors.lm1 | grep fan ; ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.1.250 -U ADMIN -P **** sensor list | grep '^FAN [1-2]'
> hw.sensors.lm1.fan1=1028 RPM
> FAN 1            | 955.000    | RPM        | ok    | 215.000   | 400.000   | 585.000   | 29260.000 | 29815.000 | 30370.000
> FAN 2            | 1325.000   | RPM        | ok    | 215.000   | 400.000   | 585.000   | 29260.000 | 29815.000 | 30370.000
>
> Could it be possible that openbsd lm driver messes something on the board
> and makes the board think a non-existing fan runs -2560 RPM or 0 RPM?
>
> After fans replug and OpenBSD detected only one fan, the board hasn't
> started to beep yet. I don't get it...
>
> OpenBSD 6.2-current (GENERIC.MP) #399: Fri Feb  2 18:28:58 MST 2018
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> real mem = 8564375552 (8167MB)
> avail mem = 8297881600 (7913MB)
> mpath0 at root
> scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
> mainbus0 at root
> bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.6 @ 0x9f000 (68 entries)
> bios0: vendor American Megatrends Inc. version "1.1" date 05/27/2010
> bios0: Supermicro X8SIL
> ...
> wbsio0 at isa0 port 0x2e/2: W83627DHG rev 0x25
> lm1 at wbsio0 port 0xa10/8: W83627DHG
>
> Thank you for a tip or workaround.
>
> Jiri
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: supermicro x8sil-f - only one fan detected after replug on the board

Jiri B-2
In reply to this post by Jiri B-2
On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 05:12:11PM +0200, Atanas Vladimirov wrote:

> On 2018-02-09 14:45, Jiri B wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have supermicro x8sil-f (latest bios/ipmi fw) with 2 fans and it has
> >started
> >to beep after a while when OS is up while it detected non-existing fans
> >either
> >run at 0 RPM or in -2560 RPM.
> >
> >OpenBSD itself used to detect both fans (though lm1.fanX numbers were
> >different
> >to numbering from motherboard vendor).
> >
> >I replugged both fans on the board and OpenBSD has detected only one fan
> >now.
> >Why only one now, if it used to previously detected both?
>
> Hi,
> This is a known issue [0] with this particular motherboard
> and you have to disable lm driver.
>
> [0] https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=144473090118095&w=2

Thank you. I should have to search archives, it would solve my
crazy headaches :)

Anyway, it's surprise that after fans replug to different connectors
on the board - which has caused OpenBSD not detecting one fan -
the board doesn't beep anymore. So yes, it must be related to
the issue you pointed to.

Jiri

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: supermicro x8sil-f - only one fan detected after replug on the board

Jiri B-2
In reply to this post by lists-2
On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 04:23:41AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> > I have supermicro x8sil-f (latest bios/ipmi fw) with 2 fans and it has started
> > to beep after a while when OS is up while it detected non-existing fans either
> > run at 0 RPM or in -2560 RPM.
>
> Does a manual restart of the BMC card (via IPMI) make a difference, how?

Nope,

it's related to https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=144473090118095&w=2

Jiri