std. paths for IMAP folders

Joakim Roubert
Hi!

I guess I can configure things to be anyway I want it, but I would like
to ask you guys what would be the most common place where users' IMAP
folders are to be stored. If all the incomping mail goes to in /var/mail
something, is this also the place that would be the best place to let
them (us) have their (our) folders? Or perhaps the home directories?

TIA, and best regards,

/Joakim
 http://www.df.lth.se/~jokke/

Re: std. paths for IMAP folders

Tomasz Kniaz
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:04:43 +0100, Joakim Roubert wrote:

>Or perhaps the home directories?

Yes, $HOME/something (e.g. $HOME/MAIL/inbox ) is a fine place for
incoming mail (and other mboxes/maildirs).

Regards,
tkniaz

On 25/01/06 22:06, Tomasz Kniaz wrote:

> Yes, $HOME/something (e.g. $HOME/MAIL/inbox ) is a fine place for
> incoming mail (and other mboxes/maildirs).

Excellent, thanks a lot!

Regards,

/Joakim
 http://www.df.lth.se/~jokke/

Re: std. paths for IMAP folders

Joachim Schipper
On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 10:06:23PM +0100, Tomasz Kniaz wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:04:43 +0100, Joakim Roubert wrote:
>
> >Or perhaps the home directories?
>
> Yes, $HOME/something (e.g. $HOME/MAIL/inbox ) is a fine place for
> incoming mail (and other mboxes/maildirs).

It is, but only provided that the user actually have an account. I use
quite a few virtual accounts, and they go under /var/mail/$USERNAME.
This works well, and seems logical to me.

                Joachim

Re: std. paths for IMAP folders

Bachman Kharazmi
> It is, but only provided that the user actually have an account. I use
> quite a few virtual accounts, and they go under /var/mail/$USERNAME.
What's the diffrence between a virtual user that you mention and a
normal user which shell is set to nologin. Still there can be a
~/.forward and the mail stored in ~ I think.

So how do you make your virtual users mail go to /var/mail/$USER, by
simply setting home directory (useradd -d) when creating the user?
/bkw
--
######################
BKW - Bachman Kharazmi
######################

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 11:42:57AM +0100, Bachman Kharazmi wrote:
> > It is, but only provided that the user actually have an account. I use
> > quite a few virtual accounts, and they go under /var/mail/$USERNAME.
> What's the diffrence between a virtual user that you mention and a
> normal user which shell is set to nologin. Still there can be a
> ~/.forward and the mail stored in ~ I think.
>
> So how do you make your virtual users mail go to /var/mail/$USER, by
> simply setting home directory (useradd -d) when creating the user?

I use Postfix' virtual(8) delivery agent, which can be told to deliver
mail pretty much anywhere. Or, as the case may be, under /var/mail.

It has the added advantage of easily being able to configure the mailing
daemon to send spam messages to the spam folder, by mapping joachim+spam
to /var/mail/joachim/.Spam/.

Of course, such a setup involves a couple of tables, but since the
number of users is small, the whole process is easily scriptable, and
table lookups are fast, this works out just fine.

                Joachim