speed hack?

Ed White-2

It seems that pkg_* tools unpack stuff in /var/tmp

If this is true, I guess we could deploy a speed hack unpacking
in /usr/foobar-tmp*

Since most software is installed in /usr, this should cut I/O transfers a lot.

Note: /usr and /usr/local could be two separate filesystems, so maybe we
should use one these paths:

/usr/local/tmp
/usr/ports/tmp
/usr/tmp

Re: speed hack?

Jolan Luff
On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 07:42:26AM +0100, Ed White wrote:

> It seems that pkg_* tools unpack stuff in /var/tmp
>
> If this is true, I guess we could deploy a speed hack unpacking
> in /usr/foobar-tmp*
>
> Since most software is installed in /usr, this should cut I/O transfers a lot.
>

> Note: /usr and /usr/local could be two separate filesystems, so maybe we
> should use one these paths:
>
> /usr/local/tmp
> /usr/ports/tmp
> /usr/tmp

so set PKG_TMPDIR

Re: speed hack?

Marc Espie-2
On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 07:42:26AM +0100, Ed White wrote:

> It seems that pkg_* tools unpack stuff in /var/tmp

You're wrong.