sound volume reduction - chromium

Mihai Popescu-3
Hello,

Does anyone observe some sound volume reduction when chromium is
displaying some specific tabs?

I am using mpv in xterm with some internet radio, when I point
chromium to some tabs (with or without multimedia in them, I can't
figure out for the moment) the sound volume is dropping a little but
noticeable and it is coming back to normal when I close chromium or
the offending tabs.

I can see this even in youtube tab, whenever I open another tab with
multimedia in it.

Thank you.

Re: sound volume reduction - chromium

Tracey Emery
On March 8, 2019 1:46:24 AM MST, Mihai Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Does anyone observe some sound volume reduction when chromium is
>displaying some specific tabs?
>
>I am using mpv in xterm with some internet radio, when I point
>chromium to some tabs (with or without multimedia in them, I can't
>figure out for the moment) the sound volume is dropping a little but
>noticeable and it is coming back to normal when I close chromium or
>the offending tabs.
>
>I can see this even in youtube tab, whenever I open another tab with
>multimedia in it.
>
>Thank you.

Yeah, it does. I couldn't find a chrome setting to stop it. Then again, I didn't dig that deeply.
Tracey Emery

Re: sound volume reduction - chromium

joshua stein-3
On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 at 10:46:24 +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone observe some sound volume reduction when chromium is
> displaying some specific tabs?
>
> I am using mpv in xterm with some internet radio, when I point
> chromium to some tabs (with or without multimedia in them, I can't
> figure out for the moment) the sound volume is dropping a little but
> noticeable and it is coming back to normal when I close chromium or
> the offending tabs.

That is probably sndiod(8) doing its default behavior of trying to
avoid clipping by reducing volume when multiple things are playing.
See the -w option in the sndiod man page.

Re: sound volume reduction - chromium

Tracey Emery
Indeed! Heck yeah, that fixed it here! WOOHOO

Thanks.

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 09:09:59AM -0600, joshua stein wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 at 10:46:24 +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone observe some sound volume reduction when chromium is
> > displaying some specific tabs?
> >
> > I am using mpv in xterm with some internet radio, when I point
> > chromium to some tabs (with or without multimedia in them, I can't
> > figure out for the moment) the sound volume is dropping a little but
> > noticeable and it is coming back to normal when I close chromium or
> > the offending tabs.
>
> That is probably sndiod(8) doing its default behavior of trying to
> avoid clipping by reducing volume when multiple things are playing.
> See the -w option in the sndiod man page.

Re: sound volume reduction - chromium

Marc Espie-2
On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 09:09:59AM -0600, joshua stein wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 at 10:46:24 +0200, Mihai Popescu wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone observe some sound volume reduction when chromium is
> > displaying some specific tabs?
> >
> > I am using mpv in xterm with some internet radio, when I point
> > chromium to some tabs (with or without multimedia in them, I can't
> > figure out for the moment) the sound volume is dropping a little but
> > noticeable and it is coming back to normal when I close chromium or
> > the offending tabs.
>
> That is probably sndiod(8) doing its default behavior of trying to
> avoid clipping by reducing volume when multiple things are playing.
> See the -w option in the sndiod man page.

I think there's possibly something slightly off in chromium's routines,
because the drop-off happens BEFORE you even start any audio, thus pointing
to chromium always initializing the audio output even if it's not going
to play anything...

... which is a minor peeve when you're actually using audio for other things.