softraid to encrypt _AND_ raid?

zgeggy2k
Hi,

I'm using 5.2 and trying to use 2 mirrored disks as RAID1, but also encrypt them.
I can use softraid to either raid1 _OR_ encrypt, but not both.

I've RTFM'd and UTFSE to no avail. I'm not sure it's doable

Did I miss a magic incantation somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

-- Greg

Re: softraid to encrypt _AND_ raid?

Chris Cappuccio
Have you tried stacking a crypto volume on top of the softraid raid1 volume ?

Keep them laughing half the time, scared of you the other half. And always keep them guessing. -- Clair George

Re: softraid to encrypt _AND_ raid?

zgeggy2k
Yes, I tried stacking them one after the other (first raiding, then crypto'ing) - didn't work.

-- Greg

Re: softraid to encrypt _AND_ raid?

413x
On 30.11.2012 06:29, zgeggy2k wrote:
> Yes, I tried stacking them one after the other (first raiding, then
> crypto'ing) - didn't work.
Try that :

wd0a & wd1a are RAID partitions.

bioctl -c 1 -l wd0a,wd1a softraid0

Create a RAID partition on the new raid device sd0.

bioctl -c C -r 8192 -l /dev/sd0d softraid0

sd1 is your raid+crypto device.

Alexis de BRUYN

Re: softraid to encrypt _AND_ raid?

zgeggy2k
Alexis de BRUYN [Mailinglists] wrote
On 30.11.2012 06:29, zgeggy2k wrote:
> Yes, I tried stacking them one after the other (first raiding, then
> crypto'ing) - didn't work.

Try that :
wd0a & wd1a are RAID partitions.
bioctl -c 1 -l wd0a,wd1a softraid0
Create a RAID partition on the new raid device sd0.
bioctl -c C -r 8192 -l /dev/sd0d softraid0
sd1 is your raid+crypto device.
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't work (that's what I had tried).
However, I think I found a workaround: after combining wd0a and wd1a as mirrors with the first command, I created a disklabel for sd0, with a sd0a of type "raid"

Then: bioctl -c C -r 8192 -l /dev/sd0a softraid0

Which gave me sd1... which I then disklabel'd, etc... and finally mounted sd1a.

So I _think_ it is being encrypted and mirrored. But I need to do more tests to confirm.

Thanks for the help - I hope my findings can help someone else hitting the same issue.
Frankly I don't know why your suggestion didn't work. It seems to me it should.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Re: softraid to encrypt _AND_ raid?

openbsd2012

Sorry to interrupt, but I just want to clarify.

It didn't work when you tried:
[1] a disklabel with sd0d of type "raid"; then
[2] bioctl -c C -r 8192 -l /dev/sd0d softraid0

But it did work when you tried:
[1] a disklabel with sd0a of type "raid"; then
[2] bioctl -c C -r 8192 -l /dev/sd0a softraid0

The singular question that this raises for me is... are you quite sure that your disklabel for the sd0d attempt was error free?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Breeno

Re: softraid to encrypt _AND_ raid?

zgeggy2k
openbsd2012 wrote
Sorry to interrupt, but I just want to clarify.

It didn't work when you tried:
[1] a disklabel with sd0d of type "raid"; then
[2] bioctl -c C -r 8192 -l /dev/sd0d softraid0

But it did work when you tried:
[1] a disklabel with sd0a of type "raid"; then
[2] bioctl -c C -r 8192 -l /dev/sd0a softraid0

The singular question that this raises for me is... are you quite sure that your disklabel for the sd0d attempt was error free?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Breeno
Ah... I think you're right: I must have missed the disklabel'ing sd0d to "raid" in my first attempt.

I will repro with sd0d to make sure it does work.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Re: softraid to encrypt _AND_ raid?

zgeggy2k
OK, as we all predicted, this was just a PEBCAK. It works find whether [a] or [d].

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it.

Cheers,

-- Greg