softraid i/o errors, crypto blocks

freda_bundchen
I've had Postgresql data on an encrypted external USB drive
(encrypted via the OpenBSD FAQ instructions) for about a year
and it's worked great.

Recently, I started gettting dmesg messages
saying softraid i/o error and it listed various crypto blocks:

Feb 18 09:04:14 freda /bsd: softraid0: chunk sd4a already in use
Feb 18 09:04:22 freda /bsd: softraid0: sd5: i/o error 0 @ CRYPTO block 27xxx
Feb 18 09:04:22 freda /bsd: softraid0: sd5: i/o error 0 @ CRYPTO block 6xx
Feb 18 09:04:31 freda /bsd: softraid0: sd5: i/o error 0 @ CRYPTO block 1624932xxx
Feb 18 09:04:31 freda /bsd: softraid0: sd5: i/o error 0 @ CRYPTO block 1624811xxx

In this case, it happened when I tried to mount a second external encrypted drive.
(I don't recall if this is what always triggers the problem.)

My  drive with Postgresql running was sd5i. I always mount the drives with the DUID
after running bioctl. The sd4a above refers to RAID on the second encrypted drive I had
plugged in and just run /sbin/bioctl -c C -l softraid0 DUIDHERE.a on.

I'm running
OpenBSD 6.6-current (GENERIC.MP) #648: Sun Feb 16 13:54:33 MST 2020
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

Currently, I have Postgresql 12.1p1 but it happened when the previous external
drive had 11.6 data also.

At this point of course I can no longer access my data. If I reboot then / also fails
to unmount. Rebooting is successful  though after filesystem checks. Next time it happens
I will take a picture of the messages.

I thought my external drive was bad so I switched to a new one, but the same thing
happened today.

So I am just wondering if anyone else has recently started experiencing this sort
of problem. I haven't lost any data since I backup early and often, and in any case,
fsck has fixed things so far.

Re: softraid i/o errors, crypto blocks

Tim van der Molen-4
[hidden email] (2020-02-18 10:13 -0600):

> I've had Postgresql data on an encrypted external USB drive
> (encrypted via the OpenBSD FAQ instructions) for about a year
> and it's worked great.
>
> Recently, I started gettting dmesg messages
> saying softraid i/o error and it listed various crypto blocks:
>
> Feb 18 09:04:14 freda /bsd: softraid0: chunk sd4a already in use
> Feb 18 09:04:22 freda /bsd: softraid0: sd5: i/o error 0 @ CRYPTO block 27xxx
> Feb 18 09:04:22 freda /bsd: softraid0: sd5: i/o error 0 @ CRYPTO block 6xx
> Feb 18 09:04:31 freda /bsd: softraid0: sd5: i/o error 0 @ CRYPTO block 1624932xxx
> Feb 18 09:04:31 freda /bsd: softraid0: sd5: i/o error 0 @ CRYPTO block 1624811xxx
>
> In this case, it happened when I tried to mount a second external encrypted drive.
> (I don't recall if this is what always triggers the problem.)
>
> My  drive with Postgresql running was sd5i. I always mount the drives with the DUID
> after running bioctl. The sd4a above refers to RAID on the second encrypted drive I had
> plugged in and just run /sbin/bioctl -c C -l softraid0 DUIDHERE.a on.

The last two arguments in that command are reversed. Fixing that should
solve at least part of your problem.

> I'm running
> OpenBSD 6.6-current (GENERIC.MP) #648: Sun Feb 16 13:54:33 MST 2020
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
>
> Currently, I have Postgresql 12.1p1 but it happened when the previous external
> drive had 11.6 data also.
>
> At this point of course I can no longer access my data. If I reboot then / also fails
> to unmount. Rebooting is successful  though after filesystem checks. Next time it happens
> I will take a picture of the messages.
>
> I thought my external drive was bad so I switched to a new one, but the same thing
> happened today.
>
> So I am just wondering if anyone else has recently started experiencing this sort
> of problem. I haven't lost any data since I backup early and often, and in any case,
> fsck has fixed things so far.

Re: softraid i/o errors, crypto blocks

freda_bundchen
>> plugged in and just run /sbin/bioctl -c C -l softraid0
>> DUIDHERE.a on.
> The last two arguments in that command are reversed. Fixing
> that should solve at least part of your problem.

Thank you very much. I apologize, I did reverse the arguments in my
email. However, I was using them correctly in a script when I ran the
commands. To summarize the problem, after I mount one encrypted
(following the OpenBSD FAQ instructions) USB drive, it works fine,
until I mount a second encrypted USB drive. At that point I get errors
like

Feb 18 09:04:14 freda /bsd: softraid0: chunk sd4a already in use
Feb 18 09:04:22 freda /bsd: softraid0: sd5: i/o error 0 @ CRYPTO
block 27xxx

It doesn't happen every time. I switched to new drives but the same
thing happened. I will just chalk it up to bad drives or cables for
now, and I'll send more complete error records if it happens again.