softraid(4) in production environment

Jordi Espasa Clofent-3
Hi all,

As post subject says, it's a clear question ?Is it softraid(4) ready for
a production system?
I have to build a authentication (with OpenLDAP) system and I want to do
it with OpenBSD; I absolutely tust on Marco's good job, but I must to
know if softraid(4) is ready for a real and critical production system.

I've used softraid(4) solution in the past without problems, but I think
softraid(4) it's better designed and coded, so the logical way is trust
on it.

Jordi Espasa Clofent

Re: softraid(4) in production environment

Jordi Espasa Clofent-3
Sorry, I mean "I've used raidframe in the past..."
Jordi Espasa Clofent

Re: softraid(4) in production environment

Guido Tschakert
Jordi Espasa Clofent schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> As post subject says, it's a clear question ?Is it softraid(4) ready for
> a production system?
> I have to build a authentication (with OpenLDAP) system and I want to do
> it with OpenBSD; I absolutely tust on Marco's good job, but I must to
> know if softraid(4) is ready for a real and critical production system.
>
> I've used softraid(4) solution in the past without problems, but I think
> softraid(4) it's better designed and coded, so the logical way is trust
> on it.

If it is that critical wouldn't it be better to have two "simple" ldap
server and replicate with slurpd.
You know: keep the systems simple. This remember me on the discussions
on having raid in a firewall and the answer is ever use carp and make it
redundant.
So I suggest: use slurpd and make it redundant ;-)

guido

Re: softraid(4) in production environment

Lars D. Noodén
Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:

> As post subject says, it's a clear question ?Is it softraid(4) ready for
> a production system?

I can only provide anecdotal support.  I've been using it since August
in a proxy-cache for a classroom of 24 dual boot Kubuntu/OS X machines.
 Seems ok.

/Lars

Re: softraid(4) in production environment

Toni Mueller-10
On Fri, 21.11.2008 at 13:05:16 +0100, Guido Tschakert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So I suggest: use slurpd and make it redundant ;-)

Or use syncrepl and make it redundant.

Kind regards,
--Toni++